PDA

View Full Version : Recording Gear standoff

buddyrich
04-Jan-09, 03:30
This will be a pretty nebulous thread at best but at least it's non-denominational in terms of genre.

There's been some mention among the hip hop masseev about the recording gear they use so perhaps we should all join in and argue about which recording hardware/software/microphonehomeeo the home recordists think gives the best results.

I sez MOTU-good. Cubase-baffling, wish i had pro tools.

Anyone use logic?

Any tape stalwarts?

Anyone care?

Metalattakk
04-Jan-09, 06:07
In all honesty, I'm not in favour of these new-fangled modern recording techniques.

FGS, Smoke On The Water wasn't recorded on digital formats! Thank the Lord that is Blackmore!!

For most of my recordings, I use one of these:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/steepletone.jpg

Condenser mics RULE!!!

http://forum.caithness.org/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/?action=view&current=steepletone.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3 E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/steepletone.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photo bucket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

hotrod4
04-Jan-09, 09:04
I would love pro-tools but cant afford it.I love reaper for multitrack and live recording as its easy to use,powerful but low on resources.
For mastering I recommend Isotope ozone and Sony Soundforge.Theres many brilliant presets on ozone that requires little work.
I like using some midi as well and find Edirol do some good VST's.
Waves Mercury bundle is great as well(though expensive) and has loads of VST's that do some amazing things,though I still havent found out what half of them do!!![lol].
For guitar I love Guitar Rig 3 which oozes quality and has some great mic and cabinet sounds.
I dont always think you have to have the best of gear(it helps!!) its what you can do with what you've got.As long as you have a good idea and an ear to match you can accomplish pretty much anything with limited resources.

my MIc cost me £3 from tescos and does the job.(Need a good de-esser though!!!)

Jeid
04-Jan-09, 17:05
I find Cubase easier to use than Pro Tools (Pro Tools isn't as expensive as some think) I tried both and Cubase has a sleeker layout for me with some features that Pro Tools didn't have, or weren't as easy to locate.

Using a Motu interface with some Shure SM57's, AKG C1000's, AKG D112 and a Studio Projects B1. Got some Yamaha HS50M Monitors and Sony MDR 7506 Headphones.

We bought most of the gear for the band to record demos, just got the best we could for our money.

hotrod4
04-Jan-09, 19:26
I find Cubase easier to use than Pro Tools (Pro Tools isn't as expensive as some think) I tried both and Cubase has a sleeker layout for me with some features that Pro Tools didn't have, or weren't as easy to locate.

Using a Motu interface with some Shure SM57's, AKG C1000's, AKG D112 and a Studio Projects B1. Got some Yamaha HS50M Monitors and Sony MDR 7506 Headphones.

We bought most of the gear for the band to record demos, just got the best we could for our money.
Nice mics but are they as good as my Tesco value one??????[lol]

I find Reaper the easiest of the lot for use, simple-straighforward but loads of features and so so easy to use!!!!.Tried cubase, just couldnt get into it, maybe I am too Impatient to master all its bells and whistles.:eek: Reaper is free as well (In the same way winrar is-They want you to purchase a licence but you dont have to!!!! only a 5 sec nag screen)

If I could get my hands on pro tools for the same price as Reaper then I would be as happy as a Gangsta Homey In murchie with some Juice and Gin!!!!!

Jeid
04-Jan-09, 19:38
Unfortunately, you need a Digidesign approved interface to use Pro Tools. I had an Mbox for a while, but was frustrated that I could only choose from Digidesign approved hardware. With Cubase, I can hook up a couple of Motu or Presonus Firewire devices and it won't mind.

Next bit of gear I'd like is a decent preamp... maybe by summer I'll be able to afford one.

I've read about Reaper, seems to be good.

I've also got Superior Drummer 2.0 and 4Front Bass Module (good for taking midi files and creating good sounding backing tracks)

What Interface are you going through hotrod?

hotrod4
05-Jan-09, 19:41
What Interface are you going through hotrod?
I am just running my mic straight into my 24 bit creative card.Just use my standard Comp Keyboard for midi files as i know what I am doing with it now, if I changed i would be lost!!![lol]
I can play a bit of keyboard & piano but been so long using Midi that i see music as little cubes and straight lines on a piano roll as opposed to pushing buttons on a "real" keyboard!!!:lol:

goggs1987
06-Jan-09, 11:43
Ive used a bit or Reason, Logic, CuBase, ProTools (Reaper i havent, but i know of people who use it and so far - good words!) ...... they all do pretty much the same job at the end of the day - obviously they do have their slight differences / offer paticular things more so than the other to certain needs for recording/mixing .... this is where it comes down to personal taste.

I personally prefer ProTools ... because of its massive range of abilities. Or 'potential abilities' i should say :lol: it is it bit of a tumb-breaker that apple and digidesign are very close knit of buddies! They do offer though - the industry standard platform of most recording studios around the world.

I like Cubase, infact i use it for recording. Not the biggest fan of it - i think i share the same problem with it as Jeid does for protools lol! But it does the same job so thats good enough for me.

Ive experimented with a few mastering software programs .... Ozone is cracking! really is ........ 4band compressor, good EQ will get you the same results as Ozone - only Ozone has done the work for you by its many presets.

...... IMO at the end of the day though, there is no such thing as a 'best' recording program ... for me - its the microphones, the placement of the microphones, the recording environment, the levels, the tones etc etc ... all the program is serving is capturing the source and allowing manipulation of its origin. If you have a great recording through time preparing/experimenting, it needs minimal manipulation.

;)

loganbiffy
06-Jan-09, 12:12
I guess it is down to personal taste.
I play about with Cubase and Adobe Audition, both of which are pretty good, Cubase being more "professional", and Audition is pretty good for laying stuff down quickly.

I ain't a fan of Pro Tools at all, in all hoentsy if I could afford it I would be recording to 2 inch tape as this is the sound I prefer but obviously it is expensive and more time consuming than digital recording, but I just prefer the sound as a whole.

Jeid
06-Jan-09, 14:32
...... IMO at the end of the day though, there is no such thing as a 'best' recording program ... for me - its the microphones, the placement of the microphones, the recording environment, the levels, the tones etc etc ... all the program is serving is capturing the source and allowing manipulation of its origin. If you have a great recording through time preparing/experimenting, it needs minimal manipulation.

;)

THIS!

I agree, recording is as much about messing around as it is about know how. There's no best way or best program. Sometimes you'll put a mic on a drum in a certain position and it'll sound great to one person, but terrible to another. It's like science for musicians!

I just didn't get on with Pro Tools. If I had a Mac and plenty of money to invest in more channels/better interfaces, I'd probably love it. We're recording with Pro Tools in March when we go to Aberdeen... perhaps I'll change my mind again. I used to record with Pro Tools and Mix on Cubase, now I just stick with Cubase SX3 and it's grand. I've found my way around it.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jan-09, 14:56
This year I'll be using Castle Sounds ;)

hotrod4
06-Jan-09, 15:05
Ive experimented with a few mastering software programs .... Ozone is cracking! really is ........ 4band compressor, good EQ will get you the same results as Ozone - only Ozone has done the work for you by its many presets.

;)
Isotope Ozone is a cracking piece of kit. I have ozone3 but have downloaded all the 1 and 2 settings plus some great setting that some guys have made and posted.Its such an amazing piece of software that does everything you need for mastering, compression, eq,limiter etc etc.
If anyone doesnt have it and wants something really simple for mastering that does exactly what it says on the tin.....get OZONE!!!!!

Geo
06-Jan-09, 15:38
In all honesty, I'm not in favour of these new-fangled modern recording techniques.

FGS, Smoke On The Water wasn't recorded on digital formats! Thank the Lord that is Blackmore!!

For most of my recordings, I use one of these:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/steepletone.jpg

Condenser mics RULE!!!

http://forum.caithness.org/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/?action=view&current=steepletone.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3 E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/steepletone.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photo bucket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

You condemn digital yet you use a Tricorder for your music! Double standards! :)

Jeid
06-Jan-09, 15:59
This year I'll be using Castle Sounds ;)

Yippee for you :roll:

Isotope Ozone is a cracking piece of kit. I have ozone3 but have downloaded all the 1 and 2 settings plus some great setting that some guys have made and posted.Its such an amazing piece of software that does everything you need for mastering, compression, eq,limiter etc etc.
If anyone doesnt have it and wants something really simple for mastering that does exactly what it says on the tin.....get OZONE!!!!!

Ozone is rather good yah

Kenneth
06-Jan-09, 16:54
My mobile phone can record sound for 30 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boo ya

guitarzan
06-Jan-09, 16:58
does that include video footage? if so, what a piece of kit!

hotrod4
06-Jan-09, 17:01
My mobile phone can make AND answer calls!!!!!!! In your face Kenneth!!!:lol::lol:

Metalattakk
06-Jan-09, 18:02
You condemn digital yet you use a Tricorder for your music! Double standards! :)

Dang nabbit! Hoist with my own petard! [lol]

goggs1987
06-Jan-09, 18:07
...in all hoentsy if I could afford it I would be recording to 2 inch tape as this is the sound I prefer...

ooooh yes!:cool:

cannot beat it! warmmm!

loganbiffy
06-Jan-09, 18:14
ooooh yes!:cool:

cannot beat it! warmmm!

Damn right man, tis the shizz!

jazzyr1
06-Jan-09, 21:50
this is what i use across 2 computers,audition1.5,reason 3(love it),cakewalk dimension pro,edirol super quartet,korg legacy,loadsa vst and i's like juno ,novation,linplug etc ,,n.i. tracktor and express ,keyboard and absynth,cubase ,wavelab 6,pro tools 6.7,sampletank2 v2.5,ableton live 6,
hard ware stuff akai dps 12,alto 100fx,behringer 2031a's and b2092a,and my 5 yr old has magix music maker 12.:D

hotrod4
09-Jan-09, 14:26
Have just re-installed Reason 2.5 and its taking me a while to get back into the swing of working it!Though love the way it flows,cant wait to finish all the tutorials!.
Still messing about with Waves Mercury which is absolute class at this price it should be!!!;) http://register.waves.com/wavesstore/storemain.aspx#

cs&l
11-Jan-09, 19:43
protools is not that expensive as everyone makes out, it is only an expensive tool if you want to record live band's with over 12 ch ,

if you are looking for a basic protools system you do need a good computer , work's as good on windows as with mac. if you are looking for a small home recording system you can get digidesign interfaces for about £200 .

Jeid
11-Jan-09, 21:11
protools is not that expensive as everyone makes out, it is only an expensive tool if you want to record live band's with over 12 ch ,

if you are looking for a basic protools system you do need a good computer , work's as good on windows as with mac. if you are looking for a small home recording system you can get digidesign interfaces for about £200 .

Agreed about the first part. I generally use 8 channels to record a drum kit, the digidesign interfaces that are under £200 are usually only 2-4 channels. We got an 8 channel Motu interface for £300. Pro Tools is a good toy though, eventually I'd like to have access to both Cubase and Pro Tools for different things. :)