PDA

View Full Version : First footin`

Bobbyian
03-Jan-09, 17:34
Did any of the Orgers manage to go first footin`with the usual Coal/Peat,BlackBun,salt,and whisky or has it died out... I tried to expain it here although they have heard of Burns ... just wondering.:roll:

pat
03-Jan-09, 18:24
Went with the peat, blackbun, whisky and a huge pile of nonalcoholic stuff as most folk I know do not consume alcohol but carried the whisky as a standby!
Had a great time with very few drunks around here, lots of conversation, laughter and singsong. Very traditional.
I consider New Year and First Footing is much better sober or fairly sober, ie without slevering sleepy spewing drunks around.

Tighsonas4
03-Jan-09, 19:07
by and large those days seem to have gone. some still try to keep it alive but with little success.there was a time when you wanted your first foot to be dark headed etc [lol] but now it seems to be all parting regards tony

Bad Manners
03-Jan-09, 19:16
It is dying out now once everyone took part and wished everyone a good new year even id they didn't know them they were welcomed into every house. now adays most dont speak to their neighbour far lrs have them in for a drink.
Mind you i've plenty black bun left will see us through a while longer

ShelleyCowie
03-Jan-09, 19:28
I remember when my mum used to make me do that! I hated it cos i was just wantin to muck around but had to sit sensibly in other peoples houses whilst they drank!

We never went first footing cos the wee one was in bed and we never had anyone here! Never mind...it was peaceful!! :)

Gizmo
03-Jan-09, 20:06
I used to love it as a kid, my sense of humour was shaped by three things, my uncle Donald (r.i.p), Sid James, and all the characters that used to invade my Grannies house after the bells, the house would be full and the craic was brilliant, even if i didn't understand half of it, story after story from some of the daftest and funniest people i have ever met, sadly those days are over and as an adult i have never had a New Year that came anywhere close to the brilliant craic out in 5 Pilot Row, Papigoe, i'll remember those days for all of mine :)

Bobbyian
03-Jan-09, 20:35
Iīm Afraid I thought so
Although I was born south of the border my school years were in Thursa and Castletown and I wouldnīt change them for anything and these customs should be kept going but I expect it will end up like an old torn photograph somewhere in someones memory.
possibly because there is no respect for each others property and you donīt have the tight comunity as before..
When you listen to folk talk they want that sort of gesture back But not do it themselves... how the heck is that supposed to work.... so after first footin my sonīs family down the road and a friend... should have seen their faces....
to those that went respect to those that received also respect and now we are lining up for that other Scottish tradition "Burns Night" I think I could manage 8 people.... weīll give it a try I think

Fran
04-Jan-09, 01:34
I miss the old days of first footing, getting food ready etc and looking forward to midnight, those were the days...it's the 4th January now and i haven't been first footed yet!!!

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 16:18
dont worry fran,your not the only one to see nobody at new year,its been pretty quiet with us but i am glad really,cant be bothered with it.i much prefer xmas.you can have a drink any weekend now,not like the old days :D