PDA

View Full Version : White-billed Diver

kas
03-Jan-09, 15:10
A white billed diver was present in John O' Groats harbour today at 12.30, it had been spotted first by a holidaymaker yesterday. They are classed as a scarce visitor to Britian and it is the first time I have seen one. Very similar to our great norther diver, with the exception of the bill.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/wbd.jpg

nirofo
03-Jan-09, 15:53
Well spotted Kas, great photo.

nirofo.

kas
03-Jan-09, 16:59
Cheers, I must admit I am thrilled as not only did I get a lifer but it was in such a great place for me to photograph it, it was very dull and raining so I am well chuffed with how they turned out.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/wb6.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/wb5.jpg

Kenn
03-Jan-09, 21:09
Great capture,well done.

domino
04-Jan-09, 01:38
A great start to the New year!!

Kevin Milkins
05-Jan-09, 01:39
Thats another one to look out for.:D
Thanks kas

Mystical Potato Head
05-Jan-09, 02:23
Great catch Kas,only ever seen one before at Thurso harbour,a rare bird indeed.

dafi
05-Jan-09, 03:20
Great shots Kas.

Is it 'our one' i wonder? it would be great to have two on the go. There was a report of the Hope/ Burray bird short ago but i have not heard of it for a few days.

kas
05-Jan-09, 18:37
MPH, When was that?? Be sure to post should you see anything like that. Cheers

Dafi, great to hear from you and best birding wishes for 09, that was some total Paul hooked up last year, and you had some amazing birds over there.

It seems very possible that it is your bird, it was first spotted by a holidaymaker on the 2nd, I am sure they had one in Shetland the same day. It was right in the harbour at Groats, even at the bottom of the slip, quite unbelievable as normall people only get distant views of such a bird. I can not get the Great Northerns to come anywhere near as close here in Scrabster.

Cheers Kas

dafi
06-Jan-09, 23:35
Cheers Kas and a happy newyear to you and yours.

Paul did fantastic with his year list,i think he got 208 in the end. All i managed was a hundred species photographed. I kinda lost momentum a few times over the year. There's a link to the photo list in the summing up on my blog i you fancy a look through.(some pretty ropey pics tho!).

The WBD has been over here for a few months and has been one of the most reliable must see birds on the mainland. It has been to be found on the sea between Burray and the Hope. Its big and impressive bird. I hope its still over there and would urge any one whos not seen one to grab the chance and get along to have a look....Its a rare treat!!

kas
14-Feb-09, 18:19
The first photo of the thread was published in this months birding world, my first and probably last ever claim to fame.
I am well thrilled.

nirofo
14-Feb-09, 18:25
Well done Kas, keep it up!

nirofo.

dafi
14-Feb-09, 20:07
Well done Kas, Spot on!

Seabird
14-Feb-09, 20:32
2008 must go down as the best year you have had so far.
I did say you would find that bird sooner rather than later.
Very well done

Colin