PDA

View Full Version : Nice news item

Geo
03-Jan-09, 13:25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7809031.stm

A store owner fancied the day off so he left the shop open with an honesty box. Go to the link to see the outcome.

dirtywicker
03-Jan-09, 13:28
cant imagine that happening up here :D

Gizmo
03-Jan-09, 14:08
And if he'd been robbed we would have had absolutely zero sympathy for, it would have been a case of..serves him right for being so bloody stupid.

Bad Manners
03-Jan-09, 15:32
proves a point though most people are honest and it's only a few that let it down. We used to do and honesty box for fresh eggs and plants etc from our croft with a 99.9% sucess rate.
Mind you would probably not do it with a shop.

alanabain
04-Jan-09, 00:16
I think it’s a good story.

I’m sure temptation would have been there.... but the people respected the shopkeeper enough to leave the money.

It’s different from hearing about a shop that got burgled that happens so often...this doesn’t

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-09, 00:23
OMG! Cant believe that! Tis mental that is!

Can you imagine Tesco or the coop havin a sign on the door like that! They would be cleared out!! From booze to fags....chickens til veg! Lol!

That is really cool tho that people were honest enuf to leave the money! :)

Metalattakk
04-Jan-09, 04:49
Settle is just a small market town with a less-than-2,500 population.

I would thoroughly suspect that everyone there knows everyone else, they don't have marauding gangs of out of control teenagers prowling the streets and they have little to do with drug gangs or ram-raiders.

In such circumstances, this story isn't really surprising or amazing in the least. In reality, it'd be like old Horne's shop on Olrig Street doing something similar. A small, but loyal customer base, and they'd do exactly the same.

This really is a non-story.

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 16:09
he would not try that in wick,cause they would fleece him of anything that was in that shop.but its nice to know that he had trust in his customers.:D

hotrod4
04-Jan-09, 19:21
he would not try that in wick,cause they would fleece him of anything that was in that shop.but its nice to know that he had trust in his customers.:D
Wouldnt try it in Thurso either!!!!![lol]

alanabain
04-Jan-09, 20:00

I would thoroughly suspect that everyone there knows everyone else, they don't have marauding gangs of out of control teenagers prowling the streets and they have little to do with drug gangs or ram-raiders.

In such circumstances, this story isn't really surprising or amazing in the least. In reality, it'd be like old Horne's shop on Olrig Street doing something similar. A small, but loyal customer base, and they'd do exactly the same.

Dont agree.... even in the smallest of places there can be 1 untrustworthy person who might try their luck

Thurso and Wick have small populations and still have enough crime to have several articles in the papers each week.

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-09, 21:31
Dont agree.... even in the smallest of places there can be 1 untrustworthy person who might try their luck

Thurso and Wick have small populations and still have enough crime to have several articles in the papers each week.

Too true! Its sad how much crime we hear of here tho! :confused

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 23:42
i once superglued a onepound coin on my windowsill,it was a right laugh watching people going past and noticing it then struggling to get it off then giving up.made for a very entertaining afternoon![lol]

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 00:06
i once superglued a onepound coin on my windowsill,it was a right laugh watching people going past and noticing it then struggling to get it off then giving up.made for a very entertaining afternoon![lol]

Haha i wont ask what made you think of that idea lol [lol]

butterfly
05-Jan-09, 00:15
well it brightened up a really dull day,still laugh about it now.you should try it![lol]

ett23
05-Jan-09, 23:05
They do that on a prog called "Just for Laughs", they superglue a pound coin to the pavement and film the people walking past, noticing it and trying to pick it up. Then they let them know they were being filmed! Talk about looking sheepish!!! Not that I would pass a pound coin by in the street if I saw it!! Me and my OH once fought over a £2 coin we saw lying on the path in front of us. Thankfully I got there first!!! He'd never have heard the end of it anyway! :lol:

dook
05-Jan-09, 23:12

There was an attempted ram raid at homebase the other night. Thief used a scooter though. Police are looking for a male with a broken nose!!!!

Kathy@watten
05-Jan-09, 23:35
Down in Aberdeenshire at the end of a long farm road we were suprised to find a wee farm stall with tatties and neeps and home produced honey for sale with an honesty jar and we stopped and got some lovely fresh stuff and paid for it and we spoke of it for years.....sometimes it does good to see the good in the mass majority other than the misdemeanors of a minority.

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 23:47
Down in Aberdeenshire at the end of a long farm road we were suprised to find a wee farm stall with tatties and neeps and home produced honey for sale with an honesty jar and we stopped and got some lovely fresh stuff and paid for it and we spoke of it for years.....sometimes it does good to see the good in the mass majority other than the misdemeanors of a minority.

Well said!!

George Brims
06-Jan-09, 02:00
This was one of my my Uncle Stanley's favourite stories. One year in the 1950s he visited friends in Norway. That summer had been very pleasant, and everyone with apple trees had a great crop. His friends told him they had so many apples they couldn't get rid of them, so one evening they left a wheelbarrow in the street with a big pile of apples and a note saying "Help yourself". Next day the apples were in a pile on the ground, and the wheelbarrow was gone!

ShelleyCowie
06-Jan-09, 13:15
This was one of my my Uncle Stanley's favourite stories. One year in the 1950s he visited friends in Norway. That summer had been very pleasant, and everyone with apple trees had a great crop. His friends told him they had so many apples they couldn't get rid of them, so one evening they left a wheelbarrow in the street with a big pile of apples and a note saying "Help yourself". Next day the apples were in a pile on the ground, and the wheelbarrow was gone!

hahaha! That is funny! Poor guy gettin his wheelbarrow taken tho!

Wonder if i stuck my OH out on a wheelbarrow...what would people take! I would take the wheelbarrow! :lol: