PDA

View Full Version : In Bruges....("it's in Belgium")...film

percy toboggan
02-Jan-09, 23:17
the keen eyed, who read my tripe might know I had a few films gifted me for Christmas. One of them was 'In Bruges'

Blimey! What a caper.
A kind of black comedic thread ran through it but it also portrayed mid-level gangsterdom hit-men in an almost believable light. Sort of assassin-lite

The three, excellent male leads Farrell;Gleason;Fiennes were augmented by the city of Bruges itself...which is beautiful and was a key ingredient. I now want to go there. Unknown female actresses who played non-central but pivotal roles were easy on the eye and extremely accomplished in this classy production, apparently a directorial debut for a man called McDonagh. The films also features scenes of dwarfism.

Wife and myself were held in thrall to be honest. The plot takes a twist just after the open-minded viewer has adopted a kind of empathy with the two hapless hit-men living out of a suitcase at their guv'nors behest. Seemingly temporary exile in 'the most boring place on earth' according to one of them...they each have very differing views of the place.

I'll go no further than to put this up there with the best of the year ('thought it might have been made in '07 -not sure).

We've also seen 'There Will Be Blood' since Christmas and although it's almost an epic, in general entertainment terms it's only on a par with 'Bruges' in my opinion. Different genres alltogether though so comparisons are unfair.

Miss this if you want to but don't blame me....it'll be in the budget bins in a year or so probably but it's well worth up to eight quid. Not for the squeamish as there are three or four scenes of ballistic violence -gunshots....and a youngster gets embroiled in the violence...not for everyone.

One of those films you think about subsequently...it'll not be long before I watch it again.

If you've seen it what did you think?
If you've seen the city - is it as photogenic as it appeared?

Gizmo
02-Jan-09, 23:45
My favourite movie from last year, absolutely fantastic, and the blackest comedy i have seen in a very long time.

Angela
03-Jan-09, 00:01
I've not seen the film as yet, but I've spent a week in Bruges and thought it was a delightful place - quaint, architecturally interesting, spotlessly clean, friendly people, excellent food. :D

It doesn't sound like an obvious background for a black comedy -too 'nice' - but maybe that just adds an extra dimension to the film?

I'll give it a try. :)

scorrie
03-Jan-09, 00:14
I've not seen the film as yet, but I've spent a week in Bruges and thought it was a delightful place - quaint, architecturally interesting, spotlessly clean, friendly people, excellent food. :D

It doesn't sound like an obvious background for a black comedy -too 'nice' - but maybe that just adds an extra dimension to the film?

I'll give it a try. :)

I haven't been to Bruges but my wife worked with a chap who had a cousin who worked as a long distance Lorry Driver. On a trip to Bruges he decided to spend the night having a couple of pints in a local bar. On the way back to the lorry he was mugged and he later died of his injuries. I was relating the tale to a friend of mine who simply replied:-

"Oh well, he had it coming to him"

Somewhat shocked, I said:-

"How do you make that out then?"

"Well, he was Cruisin' for a Brugein'", came the laconic response!!

Thanks for the geography lesson Barry, luckily I always remembered the old saying:-

If it's Bruges Day, This Must Be Belgium ;)

WeeBurd
03-Jan-09, 00:32
MrBurd had been antling at me to watch this with him for long enough, so I eventually relented, and was glad I did so.

I loved it, especially loved Ralph Fiennes as the baddy. It's a very dark subject, but it's an amusing and endearing movie. I'd highly recommend it.:)

percy toboggan
03-Jan-09, 14:58
I forgot to mention the dreadfully foul language which might put some people off.Effing and jeffing and even worse.

Sadly, this is how some people talk much of the time and if it does put you off then that's a shame.

Fluff
03-Jan-09, 19:40
My boyfriend and I really wanted to see this but we never quite got around to seeing it at the cinema. I am glad people here liked it, I heard it was very dark and very funny