PDA

View Full Version : Halkirk speed signs

JimH
01-Feb-06, 14:34
They have put up new speed signs on approaches to Halkirk.
If you are good observant drivers you will get a smile - or a frown for the oposite.
It would be nice for idiots like me - who back out of their drive if everybody would try for the smile

Saveman
01-Feb-06, 15:08
From the Think Road Safety Website:

"Speeding

Speeding is not just inconsiderate driving - it contributes to the 36,000 serious injuries and 3,000 deaths that occur on Britain's roads each year.
More than two thirds of all accidents in which people are killed or seriously injured happen on roads where the speed limit is 40mph or less.
At 35mph you are twice as likely to kill someone as you are at 30mph."

So yes the smile would be good!

Tugmistress
01-Feb-06, 15:37
They have put up new speed signs on approaches to Halkirk.
If you are good observant drivers you will get a smile - or a frown for the oposite.
It would be nice for idiots like me - who back out of their drive if everybody would try for the smile

I like the signs, they are not too bright unlike some where on a night time they can dazzle.
just to be a little pedantic, you are really supposed to reverse into your drive and then you can safely exit it going forward ;)

JAWS
01-Feb-06, 16:03
Speed limits of Forty miles or less are usually in Urban areas where there are a lot of people and cars so I would be very surprised if the figures were not considerably higher in those areas.
The Roads with the highest speed limit are the safest roads in the Country.
Does that mean that the faster you are permitted to drive the safer you become? Figures would appear to show that.
How many people did they kill or seriously injure during the tests they must have carried out to arrive at the figures for 35 and 40 MPH. Do the Think Road Safety site give the details of the tests?

Recently the Food Standards Agency ran adverts saying a family had lowered their Blood Pressure by reducing their salt intake. The Advertising Standards Agency has found that advert to be misleading because some of the family did not achieve lower Blood Pressure. In other words, they lied!

Such Organisations are quite happy to use misleading information in order to persuade people to accept their current dogma.

Most information produced by Interested Parties should be taken with a Barrow Load of Salt!

Britain has some of the lowest accident rates in Europe despite what Government Agencies have been to make us believe for many years.

Speed does not 'Kill', it is the misuse of speed that kills, otherwise every Grand Prix Driver would be killed in his first race!

That is not to say that we should be complacent or that speed limits should be ignored. It would be nice, however, if the various Road Safety Campaigns gave a more accurate view of how things really are and not how they want people to believe they are.

JimH
01-Feb-06, 16:18
That is the reason I said idiot like me - and having been a driving examiner - I should know better