PDA

View Full Version : What's another year....?

percy toboggan
31-Dec-08, 18:35
...so, it's New Year's Eve again and a date that was once pure science fiction in my mind looms large for us all.

2009 ! :eek:.......the elders amongst us - and I mean that in no hierarchical way - will probably recognise my sentiments. As we queued at the cinema in '69 to see 2001..a Space Odyssey...and contemplated a very different future to car alarms, credit crunches, and internet forums.

Still we're shaping up well here. This is about the fourth year I've been dropping in and it can still get lively, although a few auld adversaries and allies are missing I raise a glass to all of them....passt and present.

Stimulating debate and challenging opinions are what life as an online agent provocateur, curmudgeon and general lummox is all about.

This year we managed to get up to Caithness for the third time. Like the able Dr.Johnson said of 'The Giants Causeway' the county is worth seeing...but not worth going to see. Although I except the coastline from that ungenerous analogy.

The people are very different. We have a eclectic mix here with very few numpty's...I think the numpty count in Caithness well below the national average. We have some people far more intelligent than I and happily, many more who are on a kind of par. Middle of the road folk who like a blather, and to get things of their chests from time to time.

I wish each and every one of you a very Happy New Year...which might be tougher for all of us...but hey! we can cope.

As far as the internet goes - you are the business....and thanks to the folks of admin who keep the site going so well.

All the best for 2009.

gleeber
31-Dec-08, 18:44
Your very sweet Percy. Better be careful it suits you.
Someone said once, There is no sentimentality in nature.
All the same. All the best from Thurso

cuddlepop
31-Dec-08, 18:54
Percy 2009 is just the countdown to 2012,make sure you back all that you want to do in the next 3 years.;)

Seriously although the doom and gloom brigade will have us believe next years recession will be the worst in living memory......

Try to be happy because thats infectious.:D

Dusty
31-Dec-08, 20:05
although the doom and gloom brigade will have us believe next years recession will be the worst in living memory

No recession can devalue the joy of having good friends and the warmth of the love of a good partner.

A happy New Year to one and all and here's hoping it's not going to be as bad as predicted for any of us.
:D

Welcomefamily
31-Dec-08, 20:12
The good old days again, I remember being fixated with space, all the apollo flights and Stanley Kubrick Film gave new meaning to what space could mean. I think the film was about late 68 as I sure it was before apollo 11. (The day I will never forget, nobody to be seen outside in Exeter City Centre, and after they had landed, it seemed like cheering every where and the bells started ringing). Back then we had some many dreams.

purplelady
01-Jan-09, 01:09
To me 2009 means a new year and a better one and another year closer to me and my partner being able to be together for good soppy I know but it is a new year lolx

JAWS
02-Jan-09, 18:48
Now, now Percy, I spotted it if they didn't. Stop trying to tease the Scots with Dr Samuel Johnson, I won't need to remind them about his comments. ;)

I suspect that whatever happens during 2009 most of us will still be here Orging away at the end of it, at least I hope so.

teenybash
02-Jan-09, 23:19
Oh mercy Percy.....did I detect hint, a mere modicum of sentiment, migrating northward and meandering through your words.................All the very best to you and all for 2009....it'll be a dooser.

Now you can drop the Mr Niceguy and get back to being the mean machine and start winding!!![lol]

percy toboggan
02-Jan-09, 23:22
all the best teenybash...and indeed to all who responded to my toe-curlingly fawning attempt at bon-hommie.

ywindythesecond
02-Jan-09, 23:39
...so, it's New Year's Eve again and a date that was once pure science fiction in my mind looms large for us all.

2009 ! :eek:.......the elders amongst us - and I mean that in no hierarchical way - will probably recognise my sentiments. As we queued at the cinema in '69 to see 2001..a Space Odyssey...and contemplated a very different future to car alarms, credit crunches, and internet forums.

Still we're shaping up well here. This is about the fourth year I've been dropping in and it can still get lively, although a few auld adversaries and allies are missing I raise a glass to all of them....passt and present.

Stimulating debate and challenging opinions are what life as an online agent provocateur, curmudgeon and general lummox is all about.

This year we managed to get up to Caithness for the third time. Like the able Dr.Johnson said of 'The Giants Causeway' the county is worth seeing...but not worth going to see. Although I except the coastline from that ungenerous analogy.

The people are very different. We have a eclectic mix here with very few numpty's...I think the numpty count in Caithness well below the national average. We have some people far more intelligent than I and happily, many more who are on a kind of par. Middle of the road folk who like a blather, and to get things of their chests from time to time.

I wish each and every one of you a very Happy New Year...which might be tougher for all of us...but hey! we can cope.

As far as the internet goes - you are the business....and thanks to the folks of admin who keep the site going so well.

All the best for 2009.

All well and good Percy, but where is Reggy?