PDA

View Full Version : Hogmanay street party webcams?

gollach
30-Dec-08, 23:09
Does anyone know if there will be webcams showing the street parties in Wick and Thurso tomorrow?

Venture
30-Dec-08, 23:13
There is usually one on the org for the Wick Party but to be honest they don't seem to work very well. Mind you if the temperature tomorrow night is anything like now, the camera will probably seize up anyway.:lol:

gollach
30-Dec-08, 23:16
good point! anyone want to sit at top of a lamp post with can of de-icer to keep the lens clear?:eek:

Metalattakk
30-Dec-08, 23:26
good point! anyone want to sit at top of a lamp post with can of cider to keep the lens clear?:eek:

Jebus, I need my eyes tested. :D

Bobinovich
30-Dec-08, 23:44
Jebus, I need my eyes tasted. :D

Yuk, me too! :lol:

webmannie
30-Dec-08, 23:57
Jebesus, I need my eyes toasted. :D

Will be if you use my cider!!

ShelleyCowie
31-Dec-08, 01:28
Will be if you use my cider!!

Cider....yuck!! :roll:

So where do you view the webcam from?

Kevin Milkins
31-Dec-08, 02:19
Cider....yuck!! :roll:

So where do you view the webcam from?

You can stand in the street and look up at it.;)

Fran
31-Dec-08, 02:55
Gollach, I will give you a wave from the wick street party. i am working at it and will be wearing a thick white jacket .!!!!

ShelleyCowie
31-Dec-08, 17:20
You can stand in the street and look up at it.;)

hahaha! I aint goin to the street party tho! Too cold...and cant find any long johns! :lol: Do they make female ones or is that just tights?! Also got a wee one so me and the OH are stayin in for e bells!

Hope everyone that goes tho has a good time! I hear Whisky is playing at it! I want to see them! :( Think they are ace!

Venture
31-Dec-08, 17:24
Gollach, I will give you a wave from the wick street party. i am working at it and will be wearing a thick white jacket .!!!!
Hope you've got your thermals at the ready too Fran.[lol]

Just had a look at the webcam pictures and its working perfect. Hope it keeps up for the Street Party.

Welcomefamily
31-Dec-08, 19:53
Came back from Inverness at about 11pm, my car temp reading outside was between minus 7 and 11 right up to Berriedale, then warmed up to minus 6 across to Thurso.

Tugmistress
31-Dec-08, 20:07
Well i don't know about wick, but here in scrabster the temp is a soaring 3.8c and rising slowly lol, not quite shorts and tee shirt weather but certainly a lot more comfortable for the party goers than last night!

have fun folks

rfr10
31-Dec-08, 20:19
Still just below freezing point here I think. Nowhere near as cold as last night though- you could see ice crystals in the air last night.

bettedaviseyes
31-Dec-08, 20:44
is there a link to watching the street party webcam?

ShelleyCowie
31-Dec-08, 20:52
is there a link to watching the street party webcam?

Thats what i am wantin too! ;)

Tugmistress
31-Dec-08, 21:08
From what i can see only wick has a web cam this year
can be viewed at http://www.blueivy.co.uk/newyear/

ShelleyCowie
31-Dec-08, 23:10
From what i can see only wick has a web cam this year
can be viewed at http://www.blueivy.co.uk/newyear/

Thanks Tugmistress! ;)

i nicolson
01-Jan-09, 02:21
web cam in wick top notch this year well done to all those involved

Venture
01-Jan-09, 02:51
Have to agree. First class pictures and didn't break down once. Well done Blue Ivy.:)

ShelleyCowie
01-Jan-09, 12:43
I was havin a watch last night too! was on the phone to a mate in wick tryin to get her to wave! Lol!

It was a very good picture tho and no problems!

Still a shame Thurso never had one but maybe next year eh! ;)

katarina
01-Jan-09, 14:17
Can we watch the replay now? I only get one picture up and then nothing happens.

munchkin
01-Jan-09, 18:31
same with me to:~(

katarina
02-Jan-09, 17:38
apparently it was only live. You'd think they would have kept a copy. No photos either. Boo hoo.

Tom Cornwall
09-Jan-09, 21:12
just a mention about the Market Square web-cam on hogmany...it was ok as far as it went, but I was a wee bit disappointed...we were looking at it in Lincoln and thought we'd see people we knew...they were there ok, but we couldn't recognise them , the picture was still and seemed a long way off, and only changed every 15 seconds...was there no hope for streaming at all or perhaps that may have been a bit costly... perhaps nxt year...

blueivy
12-Jan-09, 01:04
just a mention about the Market Square web-cam on hogmany...it was ok as far as it went, but I was a wee bit disappointed...we were looking at it in Lincoln and thought we'd see people we knew...they were there ok, but we couldn't recognise them , the picture was still and seemed a long way off, and only changed every 15 seconds...was there no hope for streaming at all or perhaps that may have been a bit costly... perhaps nxt year...

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the camera. Yours is the only bit of negative feedback I've had so far.

The camera quality isn't as great at night as it is during the dfay for obvious reasons. The camera does use IR to get better pictures at night, but still in the low light conditions it's not great. The position of the camera, focus etc. is all setup to ensure that you can see the biggest area possible. If I did focus it in then you'd get better detail but you'd miss the action. I do know of one person who was speaking to their relatives in Australia while waving at the camera so it worked for them.

Technically streaming live video is both bandwidth intensive and financially intensive. As we are kindly using the broadband feed provided by Victor T Fraser in Wick we have to be careful with that bandwidth. We also need to make sure that the money for the New Year party is spent properly. It is however something I'm looking at for next year.

The plan at the moment is to use the camera for the Gala and Pipe Band week and anything else that would be interesting to see. If you have any suggestions let me know.

blueivy
12-Jan-09, 01:09
Hope you've got your thermals at the ready too Fran.[lol]

Just had a look at the webcam pictures and its working perfect. Hope it keeps up for the Street Party.

The planning for the camera this year was a lot more than it was last year. Unfortunately last year I was asked quite late on so didn't get as much time to get everything setup.

The camera this year is also a proper high resolution external camera and not a webcam balanced on the monitor!

blueivy
12-Jan-09, 01:11
I was havin a watch last night too! was on the phone to a mate in wick tryin to get her to wave! Lol!

It was a very good picture tho and no problems!

Still a shame Thurso never had one but maybe next year eh! ;)

I'm happy to work with the Thurso team in installing a camera for this year's party (or Gala). Drop me a PM.

blueivy
12-Jan-09, 01:14
Can we watch the replay now? I only get one picture up and then nothing happens.

They way the camera was setup, the pictures were saved so they are available, or will be available, soon. Unfortunately I just need some time to go through them (4 pictures per minute for 12 hours is a lot of pics!). I'll update this thread when I get them done.

If anybody wants pics of a particular time then please let me know and I'll send them over to you.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 05:35
It was a good picture just a shame that it was every 15 seconds rather than streaming but hey its better than a kick in the teeth isnt it?:lol:

Mr P Cannop
12-Jan-09, 14:03
what about when the pipers trail when thay are up this year and the massed pipe bands in june ??

kergem
12-Jan-09, 20:00
My family and I enjoyed watching the web cam and we managed to recognise quite a few people. The only suggestion I would have would be to have a frontal view of the crowd as most people face the stage. Perhaps DR Simpsons could be used instead of The Crown Bar.

blueivy
15-Jan-09, 11:06
My family and I enjoyed watching the web cam and we managed to recognise quite a few people. The only suggestion I would have would be to have a frontal view of the crowd as most people face the stage. Perhaps DR Simpsons could be used instead of The Crown Bar.

Then we'd miss the stage though ... no matter where we put it, we'll miss something I suppose.

The Crown was used in previous years and it's right next to our internet connection in Victor T Frasers - only solution to moving it would be camera in DR Simpsons, wireless across to the Crown / Victor T Frasers and out onto the internet. Introducing wireless is another failure point so I'm reluctant to do that - good old cable win's every time.

How about TWO cameras? ;)

blueivy
15-Jan-09, 11:07
what about when the pipers trail when thay are up this year and the massed pipe bands in june ??

I believe that's part of the plan too - Gala, pipe band's etc.

Once setup permanently it can be switched off and on easily enough for whenever it's needed.

blueivy
15-Jan-09, 11:15
It was a good picture just a shame that it was every 15 seconds rather than streaming but hey its better than a kick in the teeth isnt it?:lol:

The main concern with streaming the video is cost and bandwidth. It would be great to get it. It is something I'm looking at and as everybody who works on the New Year committee / celebrations does this for nothing (nobody is paid for this - somebody I spoke to thought I had been paid for it!?!) we need to make sure that what money there is, is spent in the best way.

I agree that live video would be great as would live audio (so you could hear the bands). If that is not feasible then maybe we can up the pictures to every few seconds so it gives more of a 'live' feel. There are a few ptions and if you have any suggestions at all (no matter how daft you think they are) let me know!

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 12:30
the live feed i use on my site cost me £10, surely something like that wont break the bank? i don't have the greatest of webcams and one of them looks through a window with permanent condensation but it still works.

blueivy
15-Jan-09, 12:37
the live feed i use on my site cost me £10, surely something like that wont break the bank? i don't have the greatest of webcams and one of them looks through a window with permanent condensation but it still works.

If you can give me the site you use, I can take a look at it.

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 12:45
it's called 'easywebcam' i just use their free hosting and put into my site with a wrapper, though the programme will ftp to anywhere :)

Moira
15-Jan-09, 23:31
Tuggs, I have no idea what you mean but I am sure BlueIvy will have a better idea. Can we look forward to "live-streaming" from Wick's Webcams in 2009? I certainly hope so. :)