PDA

View Full Version : Burt Munro

Munro
30-Dec-08, 21:12
Have just watched 'The Worlds Fastest Indian' a very good film and great portrayal by Anthony Hopkins. I would like to think there were links with my wife's Munro side or at least links with Caithness, what an amazing character Burt Munro was.

Mizpah
30-Dec-08, 21:32
Hi watchrd it earlier and thought it was great, great to see a film you could take no offence with just wish they showed more like it.:lol:

George Brims
30-Dec-08, 22:13
My son was bleary-eyed and late for work because that movie was on TV late the other night, so he stayed up and watched it. We have it on DVD, the silly boy. I like the documentary on the DVD almost as much as the film itself.

percy toboggan
30-Dec-08, 22:24
I bought the movie for my prospective son-in-law at Christmas & then noticed it was on t.v. tonight - I'd somehow missed it up to yet. First off I loved the look of the old Indian bikes - so much so I bought a modern replica in 1999 and nhad many enjoyable trips far and wide on the back of it....of course this streamlined version of a 'Scout' bore little resemblance to the later 'Chief'

The film was 95% joy. I loved the period, loved the feelgood nature of it. The Vauxhall Wyvern. Was charmed by the rumpy-pumpy angle amongst older people for a change - a refreshing change. I couldn't even take offence at the transvestite!!

Almost all was fab but it just got a bit silly for a short time towards the end - then it went back on track....unlike Burt and his bike. I must say when he was sliding along on his shoulder for what would have been an age I expected to see blood and bone but no! I wasn't disappointed by the lack of it though.
Burt was definitely a star.

Kevin Milkins
31-Dec-08, 02:38
I missed the first bit and he was just packing his bike for the off so don't know how much I missed.

It certainly had that feel good factor about it with folks just geeting along fine without too much red tape and jobsworth type of people about.

camor
31-Dec-08, 09:11
Have just watched 'The Worlds Fastest Indian' a very good film and great portrayal by Anthony Hopkins. I would like to think there were links with my wife's Munro side or at least links with Caithness, what an amazing character Burt Munro was.

No links with Caithness. His family were originally from the Dingwall area. I have read the book that the movie was very roughly based on. Great character and a typical bike racer. Loved the book and the movie was brilliant. The book was called, One Good Run, The Legend of Burt Munro.

jings00
31-Dec-08, 14:48
aye, i enjoyed it too, tho i found the accent a bit naff. (Anthony Hopkins accent)

A9RUNNER
31-Dec-08, 14:51
I saw the film on DVD when it first came out. Very enjoyable and a nice change from the normal.

percy toboggan
31-Dec-08, 16:29
aye, i enjoyed it too, tho i found the accent a bit naff. (Anthony Hopkins accent)

Definitely owed more to the Devonian than the Dunedin what?