PDA

View Full Version : A second road bridge in Thurso

Eagleclaw68
30-Dec-08, 16:59
I think we should have a second road bridge in Thurso either passing the dammies turning left on Sir Archibald road crossing the river or removing the service foot bridge in the Mall and replacing it with a road bridge so you could drive through the Mall. So one of the two foot bridges needs replacing to a road bridge, traffic can get very heavy some times on the main road bridge in Thurso so a second bridge would ease a lot of congestion in the town centre.

bish667
30-Dec-08, 18:37
In my opinion its not the bridge thats the problem, its the stupid traffic lights systems that need changed, i'll not start on the poor system in the town centre but the lights at tesco's are a lot of what causes the congestion.
Obviously another bridge would help slightly but its the traffic lights that i blame. Also more people should walk or use bikes :)

changilass
30-Dec-08, 18:41
I would want the whole council sacked if they agreed to a new bridge..

You do not spend thousands just to stave off a 5 min wait when there is other more pressing things to do with the budget ... like sorting out our schools for instance.

We don't do congestion up here, a trip to any city will prove this to you lol

bish667
30-Dec-08, 18:48
yea congestion is a little harsh a word for the traffic up here.

Kodiak
30-Dec-08, 19:03
Let me see now, MMMMM, The longest time I have been stuck on the Bridge is about 4 to 5 minutes. Not exactly a Traffic Jam or congestion.

A second bridge is not needed and would be just a complete waste of Public Funds which could be spent on far better projects, such as Education or Health Care.

gollach
30-Dec-08, 20:23
Agree with the comments on the need to look again at the traffic lights outside Tesco. Hopefully, this will get sorted out when they build their new store on the mart site...

Stargazer
30-Dec-08, 20:35
Better traffic management opposite Tesco and at the St. John Square would be a better solution. The 'queues' only exist because of the traffic light arrangement. A couple of roundabouts?

concerned resident
30-Dec-08, 21:23
To cut the congestion at certain times, could be rectified if Dounreay were to split the start and finish times of there staff, do not need to explain, if you have been in Thurso, when there has been a line of traffic going all the way back, and over the top of Scrabster.
Not a touch on what it was years ago, but not really necessary now.

M R
30-Dec-08, 22:48
Most would be solved by this NEW Bypass road that people have been talking for 10 years or more comming form BT area up by High Ormilie.

Will it ever happen ????

joxville
31-Dec-08, 00:58
Most would be solved by this NEW Bypass road that people have been talking for 10 years or more comming form BT area up by High Ormilie.

Will it ever happen ????

So where does the traffic go after leaving Ormlie in the afternoon? Most will head down towards the bridge. Doh! Or do I misunderstand you?

Does anyone really think a bypass will be built now? Surely when Dounreay was in it's heyday the traffic was heavier? With the rundown of Dounreay there will be no need for a bypass, unless gold or diamonds are discovered in them thar hills.

But what do I know, just giving my tuppence-worth. [lol]

Dog-eared
31-Dec-08, 01:22
The traffic lights need their timings sorted , that's all !

The Pepsi Challenge
31-Dec-08, 03:54
Could we not use trams instead?

Aaldtimer
31-Dec-08, 03:59
I think we should have a second road bridge in Thurso either passing the dammies turning left on Sir Archibald road crossing the river or removing the service foot bridge in the Mall and replacing it with a road bridge so you could drive through the Mall. So one of the two foot bridges needs replacing to a road bridge, traffic can get very heavy some times on the main road bridge in Thurso so a second bridge would ease a lot of congestion in the town centre.

What an utterly ridiculous suggestion! Coming from someone who states that they live in Orkney even more fatuous![disgust]