PDA

View Full Version : Drinking & Driving??

D Edge
30-Dec-08, 04:41
Very simple...Why drink (Alcohol) and drive?? Stats tell us. Stupid.

Torvaig
30-Dec-08, 13:04
"Stupid, selfish, morons" etc., etc.....[evil]

anneoctober
30-Dec-08, 13:14
Zero tolerance is the policy route we should be going down, less chance of any "GREY" areas.:~(

igglepiggle
30-Dec-08, 13:39
i think the law should be NO drinking units allowed at all while you are driving. i would never take even take a sip if i was driving!!

ShelleyCowie
30-Dec-08, 14:03
I am with Igglepiggle on this! No units...zero tolerance! The amount of innocent people that die at the hands of drunk drivers is unnaceptable! [evil]

I frequently watch programs like road wars on tv and the amount you see on there and point blank deny drinking even after a breathalyser test!! or even after more than 1 test! [evil]

david
02-Jan-09, 12:38
Zero tolerance is the policy route we should be going down, less chance of any "GREY" areas.:~(

Opposite, IMHO there would be more grey areas. I take it you mean zero limit as we already have a zero tolerance to DD in this country.

EDDIE
02-Jan-09, 13:06
well im 1 million percent against drink driving but i do think having a no drinking units allowed policy is a bit extreme and u do need a we bit of tolerance in the drink units allowed befvore it becomes illegal.
You could quite easily go out for a meal and have a desert or sauce that contains alcohol in it and that could send u over the limit if your working a no drink units allowed.
If there going to change things make the punishment more extreme if u get get over the limit especially if u have been caught driveing after being in the pub or at a party.
And while there changing the laws less not forget about the people that get totally drunk or are on drugs that cause trouble and assaults other people that crime needs a stiffer penalty rather than find them £50 which is fine any one can pay its just a case of staying in one weekend to pay for the fine what a joke.
In 2009 the fines and punishments are outdated and need modernising imagine if the min fine was £1000 for any offence the crime rate would go to near on zero over night because its then fine that truely punishes your savings you would need to stay in quite a few weekends to pay for a £1000 in my case it would be half the year at least
I also think if u get caught drunk or high on drugs the car in which you were driving should be automatically crushed as well as a punishment

Kirdon
02-Jan-09, 13:10
i think the law should be NO drinking units allowed at all while you are driving. i would never take even take a sip if i was driving!!

Sorry I dieagree, I enjoy going out for a meal and having a glass of wine with it although I would never go over the "limit" and drive. I am completely against drunk driving.

skinnydog
02-Jan-09, 13:14
I will, on a very odd occasion have a glass of wine with a meal and drive home and I am very against drunk drivers.

I think that the fines/points on licences should be much higher and that may be a better deterrant.

Don't you notice though in the papers that usually if someone has been caught before they tend to re-offend?

It is a tricky one indeed...

JAWS
02-Jan-09, 17:56
Tried Drinking and Driving once but I kept spilling it when I turned the steering wheel.

ShelleyCowie
02-Jan-09, 19:24
Tried Drinking and Driving once but I kept spilling it when I turned the steering wheel.

I know drink driving is no laughing matter but that made me giggle Jaws!

Back to the subject.....fair enough people having a nice glass of wine or something with a meal, that is sensible people!

What about the ones who "feel fine" So continue drinking with mates/colleagues.

It is a hard subject, it is like telling people they are not allowed to ever pass wind again...dont u think they will do it more? I love my examples!

RK07
02-Jan-09, 19:32
My opinion on this is that whilst I accept that people like a glass of wine with their meal, I feel that society as a whole would be better off if there was a zero limit imposed. Laws are there to protect society and sadly laws can't be made for people who like wine with their meal and people who like a pint after work.

In answer to the earlier point regarding alcohol being in sauces etc then I think common sense by authorities would allow the very very small allowance for such instances.

I do think however that more should be done to allow drug testing to take place at the roadside as this is a growing trend and one which needs an equally high visibility approach to.

ShelleyCowie
02-Jan-09, 19:57
My opinion on this is that whilst I accept that people like a glass of wine with their meal, I feel that society as a whole would be better off if there was a zero limit imposed. Laws are there to protect society and sadly laws can't be made for people who like wine with their meal and people who like a pint after work.

In answer to the earlier point regarding alcohol being in sauces etc then I think common sense by authorities would allow the very very small allowance for such instances.

I do think however that more should be done to allow drug testing to take place at the roadside as this is a growing trend and one which needs an equally high visibility approach to.

I agree with the drug testing! When i was watching a program (i watch many) about policing nowadays there are rules in england where if the police think that somebody is "drugged up" (dont know the right term) then they can take them in for a test! Not sure if it has been introduced in all places though!

sandyr
02-Jan-09, 20:46
Most Countries around the World have laws on drinking and driving, and includes the common term 'Impaired by Alcohol or a Drug'! This would mean you have the main characteristics. which would be observed by Police........Unsteady on your feet, eyes glazed or bloodshot, slurred speech and of course the odour of alcohol from your breath, or not in the case of a person on 'Drugs'!
Then you have the breathalyzer which can detect alcohol but not drugs..Usually it takes a bloodtest to detect drugs, but there is some testing going on in the United States to perfect a test for opiates. What really complicates things are Prescription Drugs, which is rather like life itself! Just plain complicated.

highlander2222
02-Jan-09, 20:51
Lower limit is what we need Such as 5 and not 35

dook
02-Jan-09, 21:37
Very simple...Why drink (Alcohol) and drive?? Stats tell us. Stupid.

7% of all accidents are caused by drink drivers. That means 93% are caused by the sober drivers. Damn...........Lock up those sober imbeciles, hic!!!

RK07
02-Jan-09, 21:40
7% of all accidents are caused by drink drivers. That means 93% are caused by the sober drivers. Damn...........Lock up those sober imbeciles, hic!!!

Thats like saying all road accidents involve a vehicle with an engine and therefore engines should not be allowed! :lol:

Kodiak
02-Jan-09, 21:49
Thats like saying all road accidents involve a vehicle with an engine and therefore engines should not be allowed! :lol:

Good idea have all cars powered by pedals, just like in the Film Bugsy, a Lot Safer and cheaper to Run. :lol::lol: