PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Woolworths

Fran
30-Dec-08, 02:47
So sad to see it closed. There was a good atmosphere at closing time, Wendy was standing on the till desk shouting out like an auctioneer, dvd's 50p each , cd's 5 for £1. I must have got nearly £100 worth of goods for £23. It was very sad, the shop was nearly bare. Good luck to all the staff, hope you get good jobs very quickly, I will miss you all.
Woolworths was a popular meeting place where friends would meet each other outside the store. I always looked in the window at the clock if I needed to know the time. Memories..................

joxville
30-Dec-08, 11:58
Apart from people losing their jobs, I'm not fussed about Woolworths closing. I liked going into the stores when I was a kid, it was a great place for music and books but they have had their day, times change and Woolies couldn't meet those changes-most of the stuff they sold was over-priced tat, stuff that could be bought in any number of pound shops. The only thing I ever bought lately was cd's-bought on impulse, otherwise I can buy cheaper online. Fond memories from my childhood but now, I for one shant miss them.

ShelleyCowie
30-Dec-08, 12:31
I remember going down to woolies every saturday with my pocket money and buying just utter junk that i thought was great! And i actually right up til the news of closing still bought DVD's, Xbox Games, Wii games, toys for the kids, baby clothes etc etc!

I think Woolies has most of the wages i earned! Obviously not enough to keep them going though! :~(

Lets just hope they dont put something like another cafe, restaurant or somethin in there!

MileHigh
30-Dec-08, 12:43
The thing is with no Woolworths now there is no where in the town to get DVDs CDs Games for Playstation etc except you no where TESCOS seems a bit ridicules. Building would make a good HMV though.

ShelleyCowie
30-Dec-08, 13:04
The thing is with no Woolworths now there is no where in the town to get DVDs CDs Games for Playstation etc except you no where TESCOS seems a bit ridicules. Building would make a good HMV though.

That would be good! A HMV, but my partners parents live in Culloden and they were saying HMV in Inverness was struggling slightly too! :( Whats going on in the world!

I have to hold my hands up tho...im an online shopper for some stuff!! Not all though!

Julia
30-Dec-08, 14:12
Apart from people losing their jobs, I'm not fussed about Woolworths closing. I liked going into the stores when I was a kid, it was a great place for music and books but they have had their day, times change and Woolies couldn't meet those changes-most of the stuff they sold was over-priced tat, stuff that could be bought in any number of pound shops. The only thing I ever bought lately was cd's-bought on impulse, otherwise I can buy cheaper online. Fond memories from my childhood but now, I for one shant miss them.

Got to agree with you there Joxville, I very rarely shopped in woolies, it was a nightmare trying to getting the pram round in there and we frequently got stuck. The shop didn't seem to move with the times, it looked the same to me as it did 30 years ago.

I do feel sorry for all the staff losing their jobs though and at this time of year too.

ShelleyCowie
30-Dec-08, 14:14
Got to agree with you there Joxville, I very rarely shopped in woolies, it was a nightmare trying to getting the pram round in there and we frequently got stuck. The shop didn't seem to move with the times, it looked the same to me as it did 30 years ago.

I do feel sorry for all the staff losing their jobs though and at this time of year too.

Agree completely with the pram thing! Constant crashing! :confused

cazmanian_minx
30-Dec-08, 14:43
Building would make a good HMV though.

I used to work for their head office and they wouldn't open a store that big up here unfortunately :( If they ever were to come to Wick or Thurso they'd be looking for something about the size of the stores they have in railway stations, around 600 sq ft.

Gizmo
30-Dec-08, 16:32

HMV would have no chance in Wick, we had a perfectly good music shop until a couple of years ago, it failed to survive so what makes you think that HMV would?, it's not exactly a discount store, most cds outside of the charts have ridiculous prices, going between £13.99 and £17.99, which is around 40% higher than online prices, and new release Dvds are no cheaper than Tesco prices, Wick has a population of around 7000 and according to the stats in the link below there are only 3300 people in employment, there is a limited amount of cash to be spread around Wick, and with Tesco getting 1 in every 3 pounds spent in the UK that leaves even less to go around, by the end of the year there will be more and more empty shops in Wick.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/highlandfactsandfigures/ward03-z-wardstats.htm

fingalmacool
30-Dec-08, 17:01
Could this be Wetherspoons chance in Thurso,,,AAAAAHAAAA I HEAR YOU SAY.

Is it Witherspoons or Wethersponns, who cares we can all call it Woolyspoons.:confused

I thank you, and have some good cheer, because theres not a lot aboot.

ShelleyCowie
30-Dec-08, 17:52
Could this be Wetherspoons chance in Thurso,,,AAAAAHAAAA I HEAR YOU SAY.

Is it Witherspoons or Wethersponns, who cares we can all call it Woolyspoons.:confused

I thank you, and have some good cheer, because theres not a lot aboot.
Woolyspoons! Genius! :lol:

purplelady
31-Dec-08, 00:12
i will probably be told am glouting or something but hey thia is a free country just want to wish all worthworth staff not just here but all over the country the very best of luck in the future and hope something turns up for you all as one door closes another opens so they say so good luck to you one and all x

trix
31-Dec-08, 00:47
HMV would have no chance in Wick, we had a perfectly good music shop until a couple of years ago, it failed to survive so what makes you think that HMV would?, it's not exactly a discount store, most cds outside of the charts have ridiculous prices, going between £13.99 and £17.99, which is around 40% higher than online prices, and new release Dvds are no cheaper than Tesco prices, Wick has a population of around 7000 and according to the stats in the link below there are only 3300 people in employment, there is a limited amount of cash to be spread around Wick, and with Tesco getting 1 in every 3 pounds spent in the UK that leaves even less to go around, by the end of the year there will be more and more empty shops in Wick.

cany argue wi 'at :lol: