PDA

View Full Version : New year fireworks

cuddlepop
29-Dec-08, 21:34
Someone was letting off these blasted things at Christmas and our wee dog was her usual quivering wreck.
Scorrie was fine and totally oblivious to the racket.

Wednesday night is filling us with dread.

what do the rest of you do with your dogs?
Is sedation the answere?The vets in portree tomorrow so could pick something up.

personally i'd prefer all fireworks banned.:mad:

teenybash
29-Dec-08, 22:03
Cuddlepop, something that worked for my staghound, who was a jibbering wreck at the sound of fireworks or shotguns was to put one of my t shirts on her....................it worked like a dream. Now she just isn't bothered one tiny little bit and she never needed the t shirt again............worth a try and is totally harmless and free.:)

cuddlepop
29-Dec-08, 23:12
Cuddlepop, something that worked for my staghound, who was a jibbering wreck at the sound of fireworks or shotguns was to put one of my t shirts on her....................it worked like a dream. Now she just isn't bothered one tiny little bit and she never needed the t shirt again............worth a try and is totally harmless and free.:)

Teenybash think she's beyond that comfort of a tshirt.
I've even taken her to bed and still she shakes.
Terrified she'll have a heart attack the older she gets.:~(

teenybash
29-Dec-08, 23:18
Cuddlepop, I thought my lady was beyond help and hated to see her so terrified...eyes bulging, breath rasping, tongue lolling and also because she was 10 plus in years..............I don't know what the t shirt did, maybe made her feel protected in some way but she is fine now at 13 and a half. I also would take her out on the leash while the bangs and such like were going on, feeling it was better to let her see nothing was going to harm her.
I used to pet and cuddle her trying to calm and console....maybe in some way you wee doggie feels rewarded at being frightened....wonder what the dog psychologists would say. Hope she is okay and they don't let off too many bangs...............

Liz
29-Dec-08, 23:41
Cuddlepop it would certainly be worth trying Teenybash's suggestion as it worked for her doggy.

Here are some other tips http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/dogs/fireworks.html

I know it can be difficult but try to stay really calm yourself as our dogs look to us for reassurance and if we are frightened then they will be too.

If you can get some Mimulus flower essence then put a few drops of this in the drinking water for a few days starting asap. If you can't get this then use Rescue Remedy.

Good luck!

lady penelope
29-Dec-08, 23:48
My dog is terrified too.
I was wondering why my dog has been hiding in the bedroom for days, thought maybe he had heard fireworks or a loud noise outside, have since discovered it's one of my sons new X-box games!
It has fireworks explosions to music!
Poor child is banned from playing it now![lol]

unicornleather
02-Jan-09, 19:36
Try this link, I have a scared lurcher and a scared staffy x lab all because of anti social fireworks and bird scarers going all day and into the night.

http://www.ttouchtteam.co.uk/
I have a local practioner and want to take my dogs to him in the spring,
Oz :)