PDA

View Full Version : Nice Porgie - Tagged & Released...

SandTiger
29-Dec-08, 20:07
Had a party out for general fishing as the conditions have been perfect with good catches of Winter Cod to be had. The day started of nicely with everybody into fish from the first drop. Andy, one of the anglers was playing a very nice Cod as I stood by with the net – Then his 30lb rod with 20lb line doubled over as the reel screamed, he kept the fight going on the light tackle for around 7 minutes before the line caught the keel – This was no seal.

I asked Andy if he wanted the Cod back that he had just lost. He readily agreed, so I dusted off the shark rod. We baited up with a nice, recently caught, 7lb Cod that was still kicking and started fishing. After a half hour we had no takes and I decided we would bring the shark rod in and return to general fishing. I reeled the gear in and as it reached the boat our baby went for it on the surface but turned as she hit the light. There was only one thing to do and that was let out the bait in the hope that she would go for it again.

By now she was tempted and mouthing her prey – But it took a further agonising 17 minutes, and several takes & strikes, to finally set the hook. She was on...

All other rods were brought in and the decks cleared, this was a good fish and she was cunning in the methods she used to evade capture providing several heart-stopping moments as she tried to outwit us. After 1 hour 45 minutes she finally came to the boat with her fins still flared out in anger.

http://www.mv-stormdrift2.co.uk/scrabster/shark20082.JPG

The red strip on her head is where she ran along the keel trying to break the line.

http://www.mv-stormdrift2.co.uk/scrabster/shark20083.JPG

The hook was in the jaw and the fish was in good condition so the decision was made to tag her.

Unfortunately the hook would not pop so I applied the croppers and had my line-man lift her to allow me to slide them down and cut the wire at the hook. She settled into the water before flicking her tail and swimming off.

http://www.mv-stormdrift2.co.uk/scrabster/shark5.JPG

Just another fine days fishing from Scrabster with the first ever tagged Porbeagle, from here, going back to fight another day. Who says there's no fish in the sea? Just a case of knowing where to find them :icecream:

Welcomefamily
29-Dec-08, 20:12
A Good Fish that one, is there many of them around at the moment?

buggyracer
29-Dec-08, 20:42
Well done D, fantastic pics and good to see you tag them and return them to fight for another day, top fishing! :)

webmannie
29-Dec-08, 21:21
Great to see such a fine fish being returned, the porbeagle is considered vulnerable to extinction, and the EU has proposed listing the porbeagle as an Endangered Species.

Once you see one of these 'in the flesh' you are left in amazement at it's beauty (and size), fair gets the hairs standing!! I'd love to see it's more well known family member the Great White and if this global warming carries on it may be within my lifetime!!

TBH
29-Dec-08, 23:55
That looks more like a Tope than a porbeagle.

buggyracer
29-Dec-08, 23:59

are you being serious :lol::lol:

look at the last pic, cert not a tope :eek:

TBH
30-Dec-08, 00:05
are you being serious :lol::lol:

look at the last pic, cert not a tope :eek:Well, It looks like a Tope to me and yes, I am being serious.

2little2late
30-Dec-08, 00:45
I'm not a fisherman, but I have just googled the two images and comparing the photos I would say the fish is a Porbeagle, as the Tope's snout is much more pointed than the Porbeagle. Also the Tope looks to be a lot more slender.
Good photos none the less.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Tope-MS-e.jpg
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/Porbeagle/porbeagle3.JPG

buggyracer
30-Dec-08, 00:47
Well, It looks like a Tope to me and yes, I am being serious.

its erm a little large to be a tope :lol:

TBH
30-Dec-08, 00:57
I'm not a fisherman, but I have just googled the two images and comparing the photos I would say the fish is a Porbeagle, as the Tope's snout is much more pointed than the Porbeagle. Also the Tope looks to be a lot more slender.
Good photos none the less.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Tope-MS-e.jpg
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/Porbeagle/porbeagle3.JPGThose are pics of juveniles not a testimony to the diferent characteristics of the subspecies. Lovely pics all the same.

DeHaviLand
30-Dec-08, 01:50
Those are pics of juveniles not a testimony to the diferent characteristics of the subspecies. Lovely pics all the same.

Give it up TBH, you've been soundly thrashed on this one.:roll:

TBH
30-Dec-08, 03:16
Give it up TBH, you've been soundly thrashed on this one.:roll:
ERm, I don't think so.[lol] You believe what you want mate.

webmannie
30-Dec-08, 11:40
ERm, I don't think so.[lol] You believe what you want mate.

I think you better compare the eyes of a tope with a porbeagle and you will find that a tope doesn't have 'saucer' eyes.

Your attempt at convincing forum members that a porbeagle is a tope is well and truly busted!

Welcomefamily
30-Dec-08, 12:29
We could always say its a tope, as thats certainly over 79Ibs. New record, its a porky.

Mik.M.
30-Dec-08, 18:17
Stop arguing over what it is and just admire a good catch,and well done for tagging and releasing such a fine fish.

SandTiger
30-Dec-08, 18:47

Hi TBH, If it's a Tope then I'm bonny delighted as it's a 220-250lb fish and with the current UK Tope record at 82lb 8oz then I've certainly walked it :lol:

Seriously, it's a Porgie mate http://www.tourspecgolf.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tsg_smiley_secret.gif

A few pictures were lost from the report (probably due to forum restrictions on pictures posted) but you can see the 80lb class gear used to bring this wee 'tope' in here http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151219
(http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151219)

smithp
31-Dec-08, 11:00
Are you sure it's not a cuddy?

Well done mate - looks so much nicer than the one caught in Wick.

murr
04-Jan-09, 16:19
nice one just a little porgie definatly not tope my be in size thats all weight 100lb aprox:D

DeHaviLand
04-Jan-09, 16:27
nice one just a little porgie definatly not tope my be in size thats all weight 100lb aprox:D

Emmm, think you should read what the skipper says in post 16:roll:

nightspirit
04-Jan-09, 16:53
Fantastic catch m8 - lets hope the fishing is as good later this month :)

the second coming
04-Jan-09, 18:01
Great looking fish and magic photo's.

Can you advise on something for me? I was lifting creels out of the water late October and saw what I think where 2 moderately sized (1 - 1.5m) sharks
thrashing about in the water, intertwining and rolling over each other, quite close to the shore (30m) in about 10m depth. It was a fair swell and I couldn't get a really decent look or any photo's.

Do sharks have behaviour such as this? Perhaps mating or territorial scrapping?

Cheers.

SandTiger
04-Jan-09, 19:39
Great looking fish and magic photo's.

Can you advise on something for me? I was lifting creels out of the water late October and saw what I think where 2 moderately sized (1 - 1.5m) sharks
thrashing about in the water, intertwining and rolling over each other, quite close to the shore (30m) in about 10m depth. It was a fair swell and I couldn't get a really decent look or any photo's.

Do sharks have behaviour such as this? Perhaps mating or territorial scrapping?

Cheers.

Very interesting, I've heard of the females landed here with fresh mating scars (so yes, from what little we know of these creatures, this could be a mating area). Musta been awesome seeing that play when out turning pots?

the second coming
04-Jan-09, 20:12
Very interesting, I've heard of the females landed here with fresh mating scars (so yes, from what little we know of these creatures, this could be a mating area). Musta been awesome seeing that play when out turning pots?

Aye it was very interesting but my main focus was on lifting gear in the swell, wee boat and snag's dont bare well together. I've never caught any and I've fished the ground plenty for mackeral and cod and have also caught plenty of ling, pollock, darkies, wrasse, congor and doggies but never anything bigger or more shark like than doggies.

Also had a few smaller interesting species but I canny eat them or use them for bait so they go back over.

I'll try and get photo's if I ever see it again!

Welcomefamily
04-Jan-09, 20:32
Mating, lack of pressure in water.
http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/sharklab/whitneyetalAnimBehav.pdf

Many years since I done any thing on fish but I would imagine mating is done on the sea floor or on the surface or with the help of other males, hence scars.
The surface possible operates in the reverse making the fish slightly subject to gravitational forces.

Possibly easier to imagine trying to hammer a nail into a piece of wood being held by your teeth in the deep end of the swimming pool. [lol]

SandTiger
04-Jan-09, 23:12
Aye it was very interesting but my main focus was on lifting gear in the swell, wee boat and snag's dont bare well together. I've never caught any and I've fished the ground plenty for mackeral and cod and have also caught plenty of ling, pollock, darkies, wrasse, congor and doggies but never anything bigger or more shark like than doggies.

Also had a few smaller interesting species but I canny eat them or use them for bait so they go back over.

I'll try and get photo's if I ever see it again!

Can be hairy when yer gear is stuck fast in a big swell :eek:

Had Conger from the shore but not the boat yet, despite hearing of them come up in the creels - Have you had them often from the boat?

No Spurries during the warmer months?

Are you working out of Scrabby?

SandTiger
04-Jan-09, 23:13
Mating, lack of pressure in water.
http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/sharklab/whitneyetalAnimBehav.pdf

Many years since I done any thing on fish but I would imagine mating is done on the sea floor or on the surface or with the help of other males, hence scars.
The surface possible operates in the reverse making the fish slightly subject to gravitational forces.

Possibly easier to imagine trying to hammer a nail into a piece of wood being held by your teeth in the deep end of the swimming pool. [lol]

Nice paper, thanks for that :)

murr
07-Jan-09, 17:13
i was going by size in photos got photo of one looks a lot bigger it was about 250to 300 looked lot bigger than that ok

George Brims
08-Jan-09, 01:27
Interesting paper on the sharks. When we lived in Hawaii our neighbour went for a work picnic to Spencer Beach on the W coast of the Big Island. It's a very sheltered beach we used to take the kids when they were small, but the reef off it is a mating area for the reef sharks (blacktip and whitetip). Our neighbour said the water was full of sharks like the one in the picture, roiling around. No paddling that day.

My daughter studied Grey Nurse Sharks in Australia for her Masters. At the aquarium where she used to work, we saw one of the females they have there the morning after a mating "event". There were bits of skin hanging off her pectoral fins and various punctures. Shark romance is rough!

Stroma
08-Jan-09, 22:53
Can anyone tell me when we started changing names of places and fish in Caithness,Scrabby,spurries and porgie?:roll:

DeHaviLand
08-Jan-09, 23:40
Can anyone tell me when we started changing names of places and fish in Caithness,Scrabby,spurries and porgie?:roll:

Pedantry, thy name is Stroma. Get a life. Have you never heard anyone using abbreviations before? I'm willing to bet it doesn't just happen in Caithness. Or Caithy, as I prefer to call it. :Razz

Fisherbigin
09-Jan-09, 20:29

Screbster-Dowgs- and sharks:roll:;)