PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer prob?

bird
29-Dec-08, 13:50
Help!! Can't get onto internet! i'm with tiscali and can get my email ok but have no access to web pages - can anyone help? think it may be a problem with internet explorer but have firefox on my desktop too but can't get into that either!!!!!

blueivy
29-Dec-08, 14:25
Help!! Can't get onto internet! i'm with tiscali and can get my email ok but have no access to web pages - can anyone help? think it may be a problem with internet explorer but have firefox on my desktop too but can't get into that either!!!!!

How do you normally get your email - through Outlook (Express) or via Internet Explorer (ie. webmail)?

What error do you receive when a page fails to load?

bird
29-Dec-08, 16:03
Get mail through Outlook - have checked out internet connection best i can and seems to be alright. when i open up explorer though to access web pages, cannot get onto anything (page just says 'connecting..... ' at top and nothing happens, not even an error message!) When i try opening firefox i just get message saying 'firefox has stopped working' and same for internet explorer! Driving me daft this!!!!

blueivy
29-Dec-08, 16:36
Get mail through Outlook - have checked out internet connection best i can and seems to be alright. when i open up explorer though to access web pages, cannot get onto anything (page just says 'connecting..... ' at top and nothing happens, not even an error message!) When i try opening firefox i just get message saying 'firefox has stopped working' and same for internet explorer! Driving me daft this!!!!

Does this happen with ALL pages you try and access (everything from Google to Microsoft.com)? Are you accessing this site through another computer?

Two things to try:

Go to Start->Accessories->Command Prompt and in the black screen, type ping www.google.co.uk and press Enter. What is the result (exactly)?
In Internet Explorer go to Tools->Internet Options->Connections and press the LAN Settings button. Is there anything ticked there? If the Advanced button is available, click it and see is there is anything ticked in there.
Make sure your antivirus, antispyware and firewall are all up to date and run a full antivirus and antispyware scan.

Let me know what the outcome is.

bird
29-Dec-08, 18:01
cheers! had already checked out secure and non-secure sites but same result for all! i.e. no access to the usual safe sites like google etc - did virus scan other day and firewall etc seemed intact. Will try those other suggestions though and see how i get on! watch this space..........................

joan young
29-Dec-08, 23:54
Which IE are you running IE6 or IE7?

try resetting your IE here is a link to follow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 for IE7

joan