PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Descriptions.

Welcomefamily
28-Dec-08, 23:59
I was in a semi conscious state in my chair this afternoon half listening to someone describing the perfect honey moon, remembering that once upon a time, any old room would do as the honeymoon generally had only one purpose.

These days where the average courtship period appears to be about ten seconds, the any old hotel room loses its appeal after the first hour and the concept of the perfect honeymoon syndrome takes over. ( I know in olden days, men were either suffering from shock or didnt have the strenght to leave the room :D )

So what would be a perfect honeymoon or what did you do and how would you have changed it, for the older ones of us you might have to think back to prevent terms like: with out the wife might jumping into ones head.

ShelleyCowie
29-Dec-08, 00:21
I dont want a "perfect honeymoon"! I want to have fun and for it to be about me and my OH! We have already decided on just a short weekend in Ireland! We have both always wanted to go!

Plus we have a son to think about and my oh has 2 other sons so could never go away for long!

honey
29-Dec-08, 09:15
we didnt have a honeymoon, we got married in a lovely hotel in Glasgow, and stayed there on our wedding night, but we also had a young son at the time (now have 2) so didnt want to go away anywhere.

instead, a year later we had another wedding dance up in Thurso, gave me a chance to wear my dress again, and let family and friends who could not attent the actual wedding be part of it.

trinkie
29-Dec-08, 09:36
We had a simple white wedding in a little church in Wick, then set off for our Honeymoon, somewhere south of Inverness deep in the Highlands.

My new husband drove through driving rain for several hours, stopping now and then to make sure I was comfortable – as there was no heater in the car at that time. Gently he pulled the rug over my knees,
his fingers softly touching my thigh as the rug was tucked in around my legs. He kissed me softly on the mouth and whispered ‘I do love you.’

Further along the road we enjoyed the picnic lovingly prepared by my mother the day before our wedding. We sat close to the stone wall, the rain having stopped and a welcome sun shining down on us. We didn’t eat much, but cuddled closely together, his fingers stroking my hair as we enjoyed the late summer evening.

In the car once again, I was driven along a romantic Glen with the low sun shining through the leaves making a dappled light inside the car. Soon we turned off the road and followed the drive up to the door of a handsome old Hotel, We booked in, and I felt rather nervous but excited, using my new name for the first time. Our bedroom was so beautiful, decorated in the old stlye with a huge bed, complete with white linen sheets and a silk eiderdown, in a soft heathery colour, the carpet was a pale green with again, heather coloured flowers. Pale pink roses filled a vase on the dressing table their perfume permeating though the room. The scene was set for a romantic night indeed.

My husband poured the champagne and we sipped, gazing into each others eyes. Soon nervously, I went to have my bath making sure the door was left often for my new husband to come in. As I lay there soaking in perfumed bubbles we drank more champagne and later he wrapped me in a huge soft towel and carried me to the enormous bed……..

I woke early, and tiptoed to the bathroom to have my bath. How I remember that old bath, with big brass taps and water tinged with light brown gushing forth. In the corner of the room a small dressing table and stool and a long mirror and surprisngly, an open fire, though it was not in use when we were there. But I thought it would have been so beautiful for a winter Honeymoon.

I went back to bed and touched him softly on the shoulder and watched his beautiful face as his eyes opened slowly, and the smile which greeted me as our eyes met. Much later the maid came in with our breakfast, and we sat there by the window watching the rabbits running around and the birds perching on the branch of the tree just outside. He wiped a crumb from the corner of my mouth, and we lay down again..

That was many years ago and we have had several Honeymoons since then. Each one memorable in it’s way.
But our Highland Glen Honeymoon was our first and likely the best. We were so young then.

If I may say something – you mention ‘fun’ but I would say ‘romance’ If you get that right the fun will come.
Romance is something more special, it has a tenderness and beauty of it’s own..

floyed
29-Dec-08, 10:24
We had a simple white wedding in a little church in Wick, then set off for our Honeymoon, somewhere south of Inverness deep in the Highlands.

My new husband drove through driving rain for several hours, stopping now and then to make sure I was comfortable – as there was no heater in the car at that time. Gently he pulled the rug over my knees,
his fingers softly touching my thigh as the rug was tucked in around my legs. He kissed me softly on the mouth and whispered ‘I do love you.’

Further along the road we enjoyed the picnic lovingly prepared by my mother the day before our wedding. We sat close to the stone wall, the rain having stopped and a welcome sun shining down on us. We didn’t eat much, but cuddled closely together, his fingers stroking my hair as we enjoyed the late summer evening.

In the car once again, I was driven along a romantic Glen with the low sun shining through the leaves making a dappled light inside the car. Soon we turned off the road and followed the drive up to the door of a handsome old Hotel, We booked in, and I felt rather nervous but excited, using my new name for the first time. Our bedroom was so beautiful, decorated in the old stlye with a huge bed, complete with white linen sheets and a silk eiderdown, in a soft heathery colour, the carpet was a pale green with again, heather coloured flowers. Pale pink roses filled a vase on the dressing table their perfume permeating though the room. The scene was set for a romantic night indeed.

My husband poured the champagne and we sipped, gazing into each others eyes. Soon nervously, I went to have my bath making sure the door was left often for my new husband to come in. As I lay there soaking in perfumed bubbles we drank more champagne and later he wrapped me in a huge soft towel and carried me to the enormous bed……..

I woke early, and tiptoed to the bathroom to have my bath. How I remember that old bath, with big brass taps and water tinged with light brown gushing forth. In the corner of the room a small dressing table and stool and a long mirror and surprisngly, an open fire, though it was not in use when we were there. But I thought it would have been so beautiful for a winter Honeymoon.

I went back to bed and touched him softly on the shoulder and watched his beautiful face as his eyes opened slowly, and the smile which greeted me as our eyes met. Much later the maid came in with our breakfast, and we sat there by the window watching the rabbits running around and the birds perching on the branch of the tree just outside. He wiped a crumb from the corner of my mouth, and we lay down again..

That was many years ago and we have had several Honeymoons since then. Each one memorable in it’s way.
But our Highland Glen Honeymoon was our first and likely the best. We were so young then.

If I may say something – you mention ‘fun’ but I would say ‘romance’ If you get that right the fun will come.

That was so beautiful, just like a chapter out a romance novel :)

kriklah
29-Dec-08, 11:02
i was just going to say "whos been reading the Mills & Boon?" lol. that really was lovely, if only all marriages could be so wonderfull, life and love would be so much better the world over.

over-the-ord
29-Dec-08, 11:21
aww trinkie that was so romantic!!

mines was spent in single beds!! no we never fell out, could leave our young kids to honeymoon so they came too, so our kids slept in the double bed as at butlins the single beds was next to the front drafty door and the kitchen which my then 2 year old son could open so for our peace of mind we slept in the single beds. apart from the damp dirty accommodation, made the most of it and had a lovely honeymoon with our kids with us!

there will be plenty of time when our kids have left home to have a plenty second honeymoons,

anneoctober
29-Dec-08, 13:41

Trinkie, have you written for Mills n Boone ?! ;) I think there are a few honeymooners who may like to take this copy with them...........:D

mccaugm
29-Dec-08, 14:34
After getting married in the Dingwall Register Office (looks just like a castle) with just close family and friends we had a lovely wedding meal and then dance in the Royal Hotel a few hundred yards away. So close our guests just walked there. After our wedding night in the same hotel we enjoyed a week in a Highland town in peace and quiet, relatives took care of our boys. Just having the time to reflect on the wedding and have time to relax was all we wanted. My parents paid for our week away as a wedding present to us which was lovely.

dragonfly
29-Dec-08, 14:49
my parents booked a holiday in the Maldives for their anniversary and took my daughter as she went free and told us of the bargain they got, we looked at prices and decided that we could afford to go as it was such a good deal.

As we'd been engaged for 5 years thought it would be a good "honeymoon" holiday so arranged the wedding in 3 months flat to coincide with the holiday, complete with parents and kid!

Romantic no but very practical!

Thumper
29-Dec-08, 18:33
I never had a honeymoon :( But if I had I would have liked one like Trinkies :) x

Sandra_B
29-Dec-08, 18:43
Never had a honeymoon, never had a holiday that didn't involve visiting one or the others family and then the kids came along and all our trips are now child orientated.

sassylass
29-Dec-08, 18:44
I'm not one for romance novels but Trinkie that was a beautiful story!

Bazeye
29-Dec-08, 20:20
Didnt have a honeymoon as we got married in the middle of a 13 week strike in 1988.

Welcomefamily
29-Dec-08, 20:40
Trinkie, Im speakless, but I agree, its those little romantic moments that you never forget.

I think in one of my earlier posts, on wine, I met my wife when I got called out to a hospital after my pager went off, only to find that she had set it of accidently when she put her knitting down on the alarm button. When I met her all I could do was ask her if she wanted to go walking with me at the week end, I just could not be angry.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=58500&highlight=Wines

Welcomefamily
29-Dec-08, 20:42
However when we got married, I was only allowed time off for the wedding and had to return back to work two hours later, we had a honeymoon two weeks later, going on a pigeon hunt in France.

trinkie
29-Dec-08, 20:44
Welcomefamily - you started something here ! When I saw the heading, I really thought nobody in their right mind would describe their honeymoon ! But I did - daft gowk that I am - and so did several other kind folk.

Many thanks for all your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed my honeymoon! Reading through the replies I keep saying ' How times have changed!'

Honey - I'm sure it was a romantic night in Glasgow - what better city?
Shelley Bain - A Perfect honeymoon means lots and lots of fun ! A Perfect honeymoon surely means being with the person you love wherever.
Bazeye - surely you had a little honeymoon? You dont have to spend a night in a hotel....
Sasslass - Thank you .
Sandra B - I bet you had a lovely honeymoon at home with your fella? As for holidays, we went for over ten years without one!
Thumper - He he he - it was good !
Dragonfly - How lucky you were - I've never been that far away from home.... I too am dreadfully practical, it can be a bore at times !
Mccaugm - Dancing in the Royal Hotel, that sounds romantic to me !
Anneoctober - No, never even read one !
Over the ord - Single bed ! That's what I call cosy....Yes - you will have many honeymoons - why not ?
Kriklah - Marriages are not easy all the time - you have to work at it.
Floyed - Romance ! That's what keeps it going - though reading a romantic novel is not for me !!

I hope I've said Thank You to all of you.
My very best wishes go to every one of you - make space for that honeymoon anytime. It doesn't have to cost a penny!

Happy New Year.
Trinkie.

Margaret M.
29-Dec-08, 20:57
Trinkie, I kept waiting for the punch line. Most guys I know would have farted and spoiled the romantic moments. :lol: