PDA

View Full Version : what is going on with milk

jim shoe
28-Dec-08, 22:08
I have an almost brand new American style freezer and i cannot seem to get tescos milk to stay fresh, sommerfields is slightly better. Only milk from the milk marketing board seems to stay its shelf life.

I had milk today a full six pinter that i had to throw out as it was sour, the milk was dated up to the 31st of december i only bought this milk on wednesday.

Any one else have the same problem or is it only me.:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused

dated uo to the 31st though.

Gizmo
28-Dec-08, 22:40
Brand new or not, is the temperature in the fridge low enough?

No problem with tesco milk here, mine is dated the 31st as well.

ShelleyCowie
28-Dec-08, 22:49
Thats what i was thinking too Gizmo! Temperature!

I cant say i have problems with milk because i buy UHT (basically water) Because its the only stuff the OH drinks! :~( And the son is still on powder! :lol:

Buttercup
28-Dec-08, 23:39
A lot depends on when you actually opened the milk and how long it lies open before you use it all up ~ presuming here that your fridge temperature it OK. The "use by" date only means that it will keep in the carton unopened until that date. If you open a carton that is in date and discover it's off, take it back to the shop ~ unless you tell them they can't do anything about it. Personally, I've had no problems. I buy Wiseman's milk, but as they also deliver to Tesco's, I presume it's all the same milk just different packaging. :confused

MadPict
29-Dec-08, 00:30
Get smaller cartons and freeze them?

footie chick
29-Dec-08, 00:43
I switched from the 6 pinter to the 4 pinter after it cost me a fortune in fridge door hinges [disgust].

You can buy a fridge thermometer for a couple of quid them you would know if it's at the right temp.

Only problems I have with the milk is you have to store it upright or it leaks and someone keeps on putting the empty carton back into the fridge:mad:

ShelleyCowie
29-Dec-08, 00:59
I switched from the 6 pinter to the 4 pinter after it cost me a fortune in fridge door hinges [disgust].

You can buy a fridge thermometer for a couple of quid them you would know if it's at the right temp.

Only problems I have with the milk is you have to store it upright or it leaks and someone keeps on putting the empty carton back into the fridge:mad:

Grr i hate when people put empty cartons back in! Or even worse.....a tiny tiny little drop left in it...not even enuf for a brew! :mad:

gollach
29-Dec-08, 01:34
I've found that skimmed milk keeps longest, followed by semi-skimmed. Whole milk (blue labels?) has highest fat content so goes off quickest.

scorpion
29-Dec-08, 09:46
Hi Jim ,had the same problem last night with a four pint carton of Tescos semi skimmed milk dated the 31st ,this is the first time we have had a problem and it was unopened

Kodiak
29-Dec-08, 14:29
I bought three 6 Pint Containers on the 23rd December and I have just over one left and they are all OK. All Bought from Tesco in Wick and were Dated the 1st January 2009.

I could be, as stated higher up, your Temp. is not cold enough.

JAWS
29-Dec-08, 16:13
Not had any problems with the milk from Tesco. If I need to stock up on milk for any reason I tend to buy several smaller containers rather than one big one. That saves them hanging around too long once they have been opened so there is less chance of them going sour.