PDA

View Full Version : oil central heating

barmar62
27-Dec-08, 18:53
hi, i have recently moved into a council house with oil central heating. I have oil and the control box on the wall seem to be working but i cant get any heat the green box outside (boiler) is humming this is locked and i dont have a key can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? :D

yours v. cold:(

Goldie
27-Dec-08, 20:26
Inside the house you may have a switch that turns the pump for the radiators on/off - it maybe that it is in the off position which is why the boiler is fired up but no heating.

Hope this helps good luck

mr do dar
27-Dec-08, 20:31
we get the same problem with ours if you look on and around the box you will find a restart button hold in for 5 seconds and hopefully it will start working if not try to see if the tap on the tank is on . because when we got our house the tap was off and it tuck me 2 day to work it out

snowflakes400
27-Dec-08, 21:25
hi there

if you have oil and everything else seems to be working i would have it checked out for a leak sounds pretty dodgy if it is smelling that bad!!hope you dont think i am being cheeky but is your radiators turned on properly?:D

biker5
27-Dec-08, 22:01
Hi i think what the person means is the boiler is making a humming noise, not smell.
:)

davem
28-Dec-08, 06:19
It might just be stiff - the outside bit can be hard to turn WD40?. If you get the door open there are lights like a low pressure cutoff that might cause it to stop. If it is low pressure there might be a braided steel pipe with two valves either end at the top of the boiler (screws to undo to get top off)you open them to repressurise it get the owners manual and check it out properly if not look online and download one.

111heather
28-Dec-08, 10:33
if it is a council house phone them they have to come out to sort it

barmar62
29-Dec-08, 12:22
Hi, Thanks everyone for the help, I now have heating !
Wishing you all a Happy New Year.
yours,
Warm and cosy:Razz

silversurfer
29-Dec-08, 16:36
Don't just leave us all dangling wondering what the problem was!

Let us all know so we can help others in the future.

Have a warm and toasty new year anyway.