PDA

View Full Version : Houstons In Wick

chamb
27-Dec-08, 18:36
We were in wick today and decided for a change to go to Houstons as we would normally go to weatherspoons.

It took a while to get someone to take our order, then gave us food not ment for us then forgot our drinks.

But beware Houstons has certainly gone down hill, my hubby, son and I all had fish and chips, the chips were fine, but the fish was yuk, it had a funny taste to it the batter was soggy and grainy. I left 3/4 of mine and that was enough to make me boke and feel sick.

It want worth the £23 we ended up paying.

The lady next to us had a breakfast and the sausages were pale and under cooked looking, she left them.

Wont be going there ever again. Thats a local family run place but yrt a place like spoons with a nation wide menu can get things better.

unicorn
27-Dec-08, 18:53
Sounds awful, why pay for it though if it was so bad, did they not even offer a discount?

telfordstar
27-Dec-08, 22:17
Probably tasted rank as its frozen block fish that hey use the fresh fish got to expensive to use. That came from a staff member hence the reason i dont go there for my fish and chips now.

floyed
30-Dec-08, 23:05
I have been a few times and think its gone down hill too. I had fish and chips and the fish wasn't very nice. Also had the chicken maryland couldn't eat it for all the fat it was swimming in. The cafe bit is expensive and the food isn't as good at it used to be.

Gizmo
30-Dec-08, 23:11
The last time myself and the missus went there for food it was shocking, the all day breakfast i had was overcooked and dry and the lasagne that Mrs Giz had was nothing but tasteless stodge...we won't be going there again.

Julia
30-Dec-08, 23:31
Haven't been over the door for at least ten years probably, it's too expensive. Better off going to Wicker's World, top class service every time.

poppett
31-Dec-08, 16:27
Used to be a favourite for a fish tea, but sadly it got too expensive and the service was poor too. Getting older the stairs became an issue when going to the loo, so Wickers World is the stopping choice now I am afraid.

Did try a take-away fish supper about two years ago, but that was quite awful, but the seagulls fair enjoyed it.

telfordstar
01-Jan-09, 00:35
Haven't been over the door for at least ten years probably, it's too expensive. Better off going to Wicker's World, top class service every time.

Im with you Julia and there cakes especially the banoffee pie are to die for.

Kevin Milkins
01-Jan-09, 13:13
I thought I had tried all the local fish shops/cafe's, but I have not heared of Houstans before.

Where is it?:confused

telfordstar
01-Jan-09, 14:59
I thought I had tried all the local fish shops/cafe's, but I have not heared of Houstans before.

Where is it?:confused

Its right up beside the 99p shop across the road from the Post office. They have a sit in cafe and a takeaway shop.

Kevin Milkins
01-Jan-09, 16:38
Its right up beside the 99p shop across the road from the Post office. They have a sit in cafe and a takeaway shop.

I have had fish and chips there before from the take away.

I didn't notice the cafe area though or the name of the place.:confused

Something I found a bit off putting about the place is the smell of used chip oil coming out of the extraction unit outside.

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 17:06
houstins have gone down hill somewhat but the harbour chip shop is even worse,the chips there are cold and look like they have been refried a few times.wont be going back thats for sure.if you can take a trip to henrietta chip shop it well worth it

Kathy@watten
04-Jan-09, 17:23
Have had chips from houstons and yep they were yuck but had chips at harbour and they were yummy and piping hot that was just a few weeks ago after kids went swimming, as were the ones we ate after the swimming gala from hennrietta st chippy....not that we eat chips often but just thought I would add my experiences of local chip providers to the chip debate! have also had excellent service in the harbour cafe went with kid when he had been ill as I knew he would eat something in there even if it was a great big slab of cake!!!

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 19:09
we went there for chips last week and they were not very hot so we went back in and told him and he gave us more but they were hard and looked as though they have been reheated too much.the service was poor.i can think of better chip shops that deserve my hard earned money.i will not be going back there .[evil]

trix
05-Jan-09, 00:51
far aboots is wickers world?

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-09, 06:46
try the pit stop

floyed
05-Jan-09, 09:55
far aboots is wickers world?

Its what the harbour cafe is called now i think:D

trix
05-Jan-09, 10:20
cheers floyed - fone ye wi details later ;)

chamb
06-Jan-09, 18:26
try the pit stop

thats ok if you ever find it open

trix
06-Jan-09, 19:43

aye, i wis shocked til see it shut on christmas eve...they wid o' made a fortune!!

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-09, 20:21

the times they say thier open there not

Foxy
07-Jan-09, 00:40
Me and my family were in Houstons twice before xmas and we found the food and service excellent. :D

butterfly
07-Jan-09, 01:26
forgot to mention pit stop are good but hardly any point cause they are more often closed than open ,yet they would make a lot of money if they opened on weekend nights.all those coming out o pubs would get a good feed if they were open for business.if they are reading this,get your act together!

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-09, 05:37
forgot to mention pit stop are good but hardly any point cause they are more often closed than open ,yet they would make a lot of money if they opened on weekend nights.all those coming out o pubs would get a good feed if they were open for business.if they are reading this,get your act together!

and their times are all wrong

Skerries
11-Jan-09, 20:18
I have been in Houstons several times recently and found the food to be excellent, particularly the all day breakfast. The service was fine as well.

Unfortunately, I took relatives to the Harbour Cafe and I was so embarassed by the food. The quiche was not fully cooked, the chips were also undercooked, the salad was terrible and it cost a fortune. Everything on the table was cold, presumably because they were busy at the time. Their baking was great but the rest of it was really bad. Never again!

telfordstar
11-Jan-09, 20:22
I have been in Houstons several times recently and found the food to be excellent, particularly the all day breakfast. The service was fine as well.

Unfortunately, I took relatives to the Harbour Cafe and I was so embarassed by the food. The quiche was not fully cooked, the chips were also undercooked, the salad was terrible and it cost a fortune. Everything on the table was cold, presumably because they were busy at the time. Their baking was great but the rest of it was really bad. Never again!

You must be the first to compain. Did you speak and voice your opinion to staff.

A9RUNNER
12-Jan-09, 11:27
Never been keen on Houstons but the Harbour Cafe is the place of choice to eat in Wick.

ashaw1
17-Jan-09, 15:31

Can't quite believe that! I've been in there so many times with various members of my family and i have always found the food and service to be excellent. The food is freshly cooked and usually very quickly prepared. I would definately have discussed it with the owners as this certainly isn't the usual standard!

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 10:39
I had my christmas meal in Houstons last year and have never been back!. The cheesecake was still frozen solid and the other pudding was defrosted in the micro and resembled porridge. I had Lamb shanks which were as tuff as an old boot wheras because its slowly cooked should crumble.(had to ask for a steak knife!!!).
Used to love their chips but its a bit hit or miss.I normally go to the henrietta for those as its the only place in Wick that uses dripping!!!.
Harbour chippie shut half the time and also a bit hit or miss and the pit stop is good when open!!!. Its easy to say that the takeaways have taken over when you cant get a chippie past 8 at night!!!!. There is money to be made by opening later on a weekend but none seem to do so.

trix
18-Jan-09, 11:59
I had Lamb shanks.

yuk!! :mad:

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 16:51
yuk!! :mad:
Thats not rhyming slang by the way!!!;)

dirdyweeker
18-Jan-09, 20:27
There is money to be made by opening later on a weekend but none seem to do so.

I suppose this is really a different thread but I agree. You can get a Chinese or Indian carryout but I would prefer a 'chipshop' Chippie

Amy-Winehouse
24-Jan-09, 17:08
Id tend to agree with you there Dirdyweeker, Theres not much better for a heart attack than a king rib or Red Pudding supper but.... It sure tastes good:Razz