PDA

View Full Version : A big thanks to Sandside Estate

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Dec-08, 00:29
Thanks to Tamara Inness and all at Sandside Estate for organising a mock hunt today!

It was amazing to tear through the beautiful grounds - i'm amazed at the amount of hilly terrain in Caithness even though i've live here 19 out of 25 years of my life :-)

Hopefully there will be some pictures surfacing to share!

Thanks again for the open invitations for riders and walkers to enjoy the estate on such a lovely day - even managed to clean my horse on the beach and look at Dounreay from afar and be glad I don't have to go back to work until the 5th.

Hope everyone is enjoying the festive period :-)

Geo
27-Dec-08, 02:16
Has the beach been cleaned up?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Dec-08, 13:29
well seemed pretty clean when I was there......and the horse cme out clean as a new button!

davie
27-Dec-08, 15:59
This is all very well and I enjoyed seeing all these snorses - big and small. However, where is the clean-up squad - there are piles of equine emissions all round the place.

Geo
27-Dec-08, 16:34
I was thinking more of the radioactive stuff that's been found there. Has it been given the all clear?

froal
29-Dec-08, 20:06
Hi all,

Yes i agree to mairi ann, the ride was great can't wait till next years one ! :D
on the subject of horse poo ! pop it in the garden and for the beach who cares a beach is a beach if it was a problem it would be closed to the public. :confused

So THANKYOU Sandside Estate for having this event, it was a great turn out with 29 horses taking part and not forgetting all the Followers ! :D

The weather was a huge help too.

Zoe - Froal Whippets

emszxr
29-Dec-08, 20:18
Hi all,

Yes i agree to mairi ann, the ride was great can't wait till next years one ! :D
on the subject of horse poo ! pop it in the garden and for the beach who cares a beach is a beach if it was a problem it would be closed to the public. :confused

So THANKYOU Sandside Estate for having this event, it was a great turn out with 29 horses taking part and not forgetting all the Followers ! :D

The weather was a huge help too.

Zoe - Froal Whippets

a beach is a beach. thats not what 'one' thought when they were telling people to get off it a few years ago.

froal
29-Dec-08, 20:29
and you've never been on it then !
it's open to anyone who wishes to go on it, if it was owned by anyone it would be fenced off.

Geo
30-Dec-08, 01:14
I'm surprised anyone wants to go on it given the bad press it got. If it hasn't been given the all clear I wouldn't go on it. It's sad though as it is a lovely looking spot.

emszxr
30-Dec-08, 10:19
it's open to anyone who wishes to go on it, if it was owned by anyone it would be fenced off.

been on it many a time actually.

Skerries
30-Dec-08, 11:51

It is owned by more than one party but it doesn't follow that it would be fenced off if it was owned!? I don't think the law in Scotland allows all land to be fenced off if it's owned, unless the owner is a licensed nuclear site and/or a military one.

It's certainly never had an "all clear" in terms of nuclear fuel pollution but I suppose it's up to individuals whether they feel the risk is low enough to ignore.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Dec-08, 13:46
a beach is a beach. thats not what 'one' thought when they were telling people to get off it a few years ago.

The beach wasn't part of the hunt - I just happened to go down to it after to give my horse a wash as my trailer was parked at the harbour!!!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Dec-08, 13:48
It's certainly never had an "all clear" in terms of nuclear fuel pollution but I suppose it's up to individuals whether they feel the risk is low enough to ignore.

I guess that I perceive there to be more risk driving to work each day than hitting a particle in the sandside waters - this was never meant to be a nuclear debate....... it was related to the hunt.

teenybash
30-Dec-08, 14:14
Sounds as if everyone had an absolutely wonderful time and if it is going to be a yearly event....someday might have a go myself, if I can hoist my old bones into the saddle......[lol]

camor
30-Dec-08, 14:50
It is owned by more than one party but it doesn't follow that it would be fenced off if it was owned!? I don't think the law in Scotland allows all land to be fenced off if it's owned, unless the owner is a licensed nuclear site and/or a military one.

The beach is owned by Sandside Estate, who discourage people from going onto the beach.

pottheed
30-Dec-08, 18:02
the fact is, that there may be literally 1 or 2 grains of nuclear material on sandside beach and they are smaller than a grain of sand. think how many grains there are on sandside.. even if you were to find a grain of nuclear material, it would cause you no harm unless you ate it.. FACT

Geo
30-Dec-08, 23:30
I doubt that is a fact to be honest given that more than that has been found already. It's a personal choice of course but I avoid the beach when out that way.

buggyracer
31-Dec-08, 02:08
the beach has had numerous particles fact, where did they come from? dounray!! fact end of story :eek:

not new news :lol:

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
31-Dec-08, 11:20
the beach has had numerous particles fact, where did they come from? dounray!! fact end of story :eek:

not new news :lol:

because you're part of a hijack on this thread in a really annoying fashion now i'm going to get irrational - when it's fact get your spelling right or check your post before you send............

DOUNREAY no DOUNRAY.

At the end of the day there is no visible a restriction on the beach - there is a UKAEA sign making people aware of the potential for particles that are not visible to the eye.....

As someone else said unless you eat the particle you have little fear and you've got to be in a pretty poor state to have a SANDwich or take a gulp of sea water - the place is huge.....

futurelegends
31-Dec-08, 11:39
Glad to see you managed to sort out your Hijackers, it also bugs me that these threads shoot off in tangents at times ........ oops, I digress.

Glad the mock hunt went well, how does it work?

Sorry for asking a probably dumb question but I don't honestly know.

binbob
31-Dec-08, 11:42
because you're part of a hijack on this thread in a really annoying fashion now i'm going to get irrational - when it's fact get your spelling right or check your post before you send............

DOUNREAY no DOUNRAY.

At the end of the day there is no visible a restriction on the beach - there is a UKAEA sign making people aware of the potential for particles that are not visible to the eye.....

As someone else said unless you eat the particle you have little fear and you've got to be in a pretty poor state to have a SANDwich or take a gulp of sea water - the place is huge.....
very well said...

Geo
31-Dec-08, 11:44
I wasn't hijacking the thread. I was genuinely curious as to whether the beach had been given the all clear given you mentioned an organised activity at it. It's a lovely spot and worth visiting if it's been cleaned up. Sounds like you had a great time on your mock hunt.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
31-Dec-08, 11:49
that was BUGGYRACER that I was quoting not you Geo!!!!

Do people just look for an argument or what ???

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
31-Dec-08, 11:52
Glad to see you managed to sort out your Hijackers, it also bugs me that these threads shoot off in tangents at times ........ oops, I digress.

Glad the mock hunt went well, how does it work?

Sorry for asking a probably dumb question but I don't honestly know.

well it was mock in that there were no hounds or fox - the fox was a guy on a motorbike who led the way!!!

and it wasn't true to a hunt either (as I believe) they tend to be a lot slower with bursts of speed where as this was more of a blast around the county - which was in the end detrimental to my horses legs....we didn't do the full thing.....

But it was good fun ..... and it was nice to have the estate opened up and welcome to us - beautiful surrounding etc....and vast scopes to take horses out for a blast.....and as I said enjoyed a dip in the beach too - the horses legs had never been so clean ;

Geo
31-Dec-08, 11:58
In your quote you said buggyracer was "part" of a hijack on the thread and as he/she was talking about the same subject as me I assumed (I KNOW I KNOW!) :) that included me. Sorry. My mistake, your fault. ;)

davie
31-Dec-08, 16:44
I am not part of the animal lib, anti Dooonarey or anti particle team (honest) and maybe if there is a spare strong/slow/docile horse I will get to join the hunt next year,
However, I feel I must speak up on behalf of the mock. The mocks around this area live a peaceful pastoral life and bother nobody. If you were an innocent mock and were chased around the countryside by 29 fat wifies on sway-backed nags would you be happy about it ???

Venture
31-Dec-08, 17:33
Good photgraphs on the front page. Never realised that Sandside House was such a lovely building with beautiful surroundings.:)

Skerries
31-Dec-08, 18:40
I am not part of the animal lib, anti Dooonarey or anti particle team (honest) and maybe if there is a spare strong/slow/docile horse I will get to join the hunt next year,
However, I feel I must speak up on behalf of the mock. The mocks around this area live a peaceful pastoral life and bother nobody. If you were an innocent mock and were chased around the countryside by 29 fat wifies on sway-backed nags would you be happy about it ???

Maybe it was a mock hijack?! :lol:

Only joking! Sorry for 'hijacking' if I was part of it.