PDA

View Full Version : Linux wireless connection.

davem
25-Dec-08, 14:30
Daughter got an EeePC from Asus subnotebook. It runs linux but won't connect to the home hub. It starts has the right key but just sticks at pending. Checked a few forums but haven't a clue what "sudo" is or where it goes and how to get there!. Any assistance gratefully received.

Sapphire2803
26-Dec-08, 15:29
Sudo is what you type in to run a command with administrator privileges. You type it into the shell window and you should be prompted for a password.

Now then... What exactly are you trying to do and which version of Linux are you running?

Sapphire2803
26-Dec-08, 16:57
Had a quick mooch around...

Try changing the network type from Auto to Infrastructure, see if that helps.

davem
26-Dec-08, 17:11
Hi Thanks - am trying that. It's GNU Linux that comes with the machine and I'm trying to get the wireless to connect instead of sticking on pending. I've read about a bit and it looks do-able but it definitely isn't as familiar as windows.
Just thought I'll see what I can learn - so far it seems that it could take months and mess the system up really spectacularly if you get it wrong.

I think if I get a different Atheros driver it may work but I may well harass Amazon or Asus tomorrow - still pending so far ........it doesn't seem quite as easy as that tho.
Cheers
Dave

Sapphire2803
26-Dec-08, 17:14
If you go to http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php and post your problem. Explain that you're new to linux and need explanations to be kept simple.

You should be sorted in no time :D

davem
26-Dec-08, 17:20
Thanks - off I go just now.

davem
27-Dec-08, 17:53
Thanks - success what a pain that was 2 days to connect to wireless. All up and running now.
Cheers
D