PDA

View Full Version : The R.A.F.

Saveman
31-Jan-06, 15:55
Those crazy guys like to fly very fast one inch above my roof. Sorry 2.54 centimeters above my roof. Scares the life out of my cat!
I go out and shake my fist at them "roadhogs! er....skyhogs!" But I don't think they notice...

krieve
31-Jan-06, 16:05
lol i can picture you running out o your hoose with your fist cleanched in the air lol

landmarker
31-Jan-06, 16:07
The should have all the time to 'notice' you Savey cos at that altitude (or lack of it) A computer is usually flying the thing !

You might not find this very re-assuring lol.

Saveman
31-Jan-06, 16:09
LOL! There's a couple of horses in the field next to me....it really scares them! Not as much as a quarry explosion mind you...

krieve
31-Jan-06, 16:11
LOL! There's a couple of horses in the field next to me....it really scares them! Not as much as a quarry explosion mind you...
Do you shake your fists when they do the quarry explosions to lol

Saveman
31-Jan-06, 16:17
Do you shake your fists when they do the quarry explosions to lol

No, I like them. It makes the ground shake like an earthquake (hey that rhymes!) and a deep boom like thunder and you get some warning.
With the jets they're just on top of you before you know it.....makes me jump everytime!

MadPict
31-Jan-06, 17:18
Make a complaint -
http://www.mod.uk/issues/lowflying/handle.htm

Saveman
31-Jan-06, 18:24
Make a complaint -
http://www.mod.uk/issues/lowflying/handle.htm

I really don't have the courage of my convictions to take it that far. I'll just moan about it behind their back if that's ok. ;)

welmoB
31-Jan-06, 19:06
I agree, RAF planes can scare animals.
A lot of horses will take fright & bolt when one goes overhead, but fortunately my mare is 110% bombproof and doesn't even flick her ears back!! :lol:

JimH
31-Jan-06, 21:08
Likewise - but it does make you feel better to have a gripe about it - does'nt it?

Moira
31-Jan-06, 23:58
Those crazy guys like to fly very fast one inch above my roof. Sorry 2.54 centimeters above my roof. Scares the life out of my cat!
I go out and shake my fist at them "roadhogs! er....skyhogs!" But I don't think they notice...

I hate this too, Savey. It scares the life out of me and the dog. What's even worse is when you're driving along the road and they "buzz" you - totally unfunny [mad] Has had me taking a wobble & heading for the ditch a few times! I'm taking a note of the link - just might complain the next time these guys amuse themselves by using my car as a moving target. Thanks for posting this & giving me the opportunity to rant - OK Rant over :D

topotheuk
01-Feb-06, 11:25
Nearly two years ago a jet buzzed my stables and scared one of my horses so badly he panicked and bolted. Unftortunately there was a fence in his way and he went right through it. He was ok. Just superficial wounds, but I complained by telephone to the RAF at the time as they were particularly low on this day. I received a written reply from them saying there were so many different planes in the sky at any time that they couldn't say if it was one of theirs or not. PLEASE! I may not have much knowledge on RAF matters, but wouldn't they know EXACTLY what jets were where? Does that mean an enemy jet could just fly up to Dounreay and BANG? This was when security was very high due to the war.

frank ward
01-Feb-06, 14:23
not only do the jets scare animals, they also appear to do a lot of damage to civilians. I note that over 100,000 Iraqis are dead since our glorious leader took us off to war (again). But of course its all in the name of freedom so that's all right.

MadPict
01-Feb-06, 16:14
...I received a written reply from them saying there were so many different planes in the sky at any time that they couldn't say if it was one of theirs or not. PLEASE! I may not have much knowledge on RAF matters, but wouldn't they know EXACTLY what jets were where? ...

Sounds very much like you were given the brush off there. Of course they know where their aircraft are. All aircraft file flight plans for any sortie. I dare say if you had persevered with your complaint they would have looked a bit more deeply than they did. They may have had to send the local constabulary round to record a statement but at least you would have felt that something was being done.

Unfortunately Cape Wrath is one of the largest bombing ranges in the UK and the only one, I believe, where all 3 branches or the armed services can actually train together. And I dare say that a lot of the low flying over the far north is done by the 3 Squadrons of Tornadoes based at Lossiemouth....

golach
01-Feb-06, 16:47
Sounds very much like you were given the brush off there. Of course they know where their aircraft are. All aircraft file flight plans for any sortie. I dare say if you had persevered with your complaint they would have looked a bit more deeply than they did. They may have had to send the local constabulary round to record a statement but at least you would have felt that something was being done.

Unfortunately Cape Wrath is one of the largest bombing ranges in the UK and the only one, I believe, where all 3 branches or the armed services can actually train together. And I dare say that a lot of the low flying over the far north is done by the 3 Squadrons of Tornadoes based at Lossiemouth....
Not only our forces use Cape Wrath but all the Nato forces do as well

MadPict
01-Feb-06, 17:34
Not only our forces use Cape Wrath but all the Nato forces do as well

As submitting low flying complaints is hard enough with our own forces can you imagine trying to complain about a European one?

And at 600+mph at 250 ft identification can be hard - "well, it was long and pointy and was a greeny colour. Oh and it made a lot of noise..." :D

Steinway
01-Feb-06, 20:04
I really dislike these planes! They come when you're totally not expecting them, and they are so low and loud! Are they going to continue flying over parts of the countryside and spoiling the peace??? They are quite scary.

Biker
01-Feb-06, 21:30
Everyone seems totally against these planes yet where do you expect them to practice their low flying? The RAF provide us a service which we are happy to accept but as usual loath to accept on our back yard! How do you expect these men and women to practice their essential skills? Without the training undertaken I am sure that we would not have been able to undertake the jobs in Iraq, Afghanistan and even the Falklands witjout considerable more losses.

The RAF's denial or lack of knowledge I cannot comment on as I do not know if they do have recodes of all flights at all times in all areas.

I do hope that people could sometimes think of the job which we expect our Armed Forces to undertake and that there is a requirement for the to practice for. These men and women are not exceptionally well paid, do not get overtime, do not have the european working time directive to fall back on and while they may not be doing it purely for Queen and Country they are still there to protect us all and basically do the Governments bidding.

If they were not permitted to do training in realistic situations then we could expect far more operational deaths.

that_guy
01-Feb-06, 23:34
thats what i was just about to say but in a less constructed manner.

JAWS
02-Feb-06, 02:16
I'm just glad that people who took the same attitude seventy years ago didn't succeed in doing what most of you seem to want to do. I would think that most of the young RAF crew then wished they had been given the chance to do a little more practice.

Perhaps we should have stopped them flying all together then we could have all been given a smart grey uniform and some nice shiny jack-boots.

And if something similar ever happened again you would all be screaming why they weren't protecting you.

How easy it is to complain when danger is not hitting you in the face but when it does the Armed Forces get the blame for not being prepared.

Frank, which RAF Squadrons have bombed all the civilians in Iraq. If we've bombed a hundred thousand Iraqis then the Americans must not have killed any because that is the upper figure guessed at for the number of deaths.
I never realised the RAF were so good at their jobs that everybody else could just sit around doing nothing!

And before anybody thinks I have any involvement with any of the Armed Services then, sorry, the last time any of my family were in a position to fight for Queen and Country it was for Queen Victoria and involved some trouble makers from around the Khyber Pass.

topotheuk
02-Feb-06, 11:23
I'm not against low flying, I actually quite enjoy watching them "play" out at sea, I don't think the guys should not be allowed to practise and think that some people on this forum need to chill a bit. It's not so much the "not in my back yard", but when they are flying along almost in your garden, then yes, it's a bit noisey and scarey, so what chance to animals have? Mind you I suppose to some people horses and other animals don't really count do they? It doesn't matter about their welfare, as long as the pilots get to buzz around breaking the lower height limits. They do do a good job and yes I realise they are our first line of defence if we were at war. My friend's son is an RAF pilot, I know what a good job they do. But... They used to use my outbuildings either as target practise or maybe just a landmark, I don't know, but they used to fly directly over the building constantly. Now I have a house built beside the old building, they hardly ever fly over the building, why the change? My only complaint (not that I should have to justify to anyone) to the RAF was the unusually low height they had been flying that day and that fact that they were flying directly over my buildings which caused the accident.