PDA

View Full Version : Dummy - Any Mums Out there Who Could Help

Venture
23-Dec-08, 22:57
I'm desperately trying to obtain a Tommy Tippee Closer to Nature Dummy for 6-18 months. They are now discontinued and are only available on ebay at the ridiculous price of £24.99 as opposed to the normal price of £3.99. I have a grandson who will not sleep with anything else and his one he has managed to bite through and can't use anymore. We have tried him with about five different kinds and he just throws them away. So if anyone knows of anyone with a spare I have two very bleary eyed parents who would be very grateful to get hold of one as well as a good night's sleep. Seems they are not the only ones with a baby with a preference for this type of dummy as there are loads of bids on every one on offer on ebay. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:22
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Feeding/Soothers-and-Teethers/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-To-Nature-Pure-Soothers-2-Pack(0032331)?cm_mmc=Feed-_-Google%20Base-_-N%2FA-_-Tommee%20Tippee%20Closer%20To%20Nature%20Pure%20So others%20-%202%20Pack

£3.50 is what i can find! Hope this is the right one!

Kodiak
23-Dec-08, 23:25
There are several at eBay and the ones I saw had no bids and the starting bid was Only £0.99. Here is a link to one of them :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOMMEE-TIPPEE-CLOSER-TO-NATURE-SOOTHER-DUMMIES-6-18M-X2_W0QQitemZ260335261438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby _Baby_Feeding_Dummies_Pacifiers_Teething_Aids?hash =item260335261438&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOMMEE-TIPPEE-CLOSER-TO-NATURE-SOOTHER-DUMMIES-6-18M-X2_W0QQitemZ260335261438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby _Baby_Feeding_Dummies_Pacifiers_Teething_Aids?hash =item260335261438&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

K

Venture
23-Dec-08, 23:27
Thanks but they are all from birth to six months. There are plenty for smaller babies its the bigger size 6-18 months that has been discontinued.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:28
Sorry i lied...the dummies i found was £3.90! A whole 40p oot! Better than £25-£30!! That is mental!

My wee one stopped takin his dummy now! He is only 11 weeks! Thought i wud never get it off him!

changilass
23-Dec-08, 23:28
Have they given a reason as to why they have discontinued them - might be worth finding out just to be on the safe side.

Kodiak
23-Dec-08, 23:31
I have just found this one for Only £2.99 for 6 months + with Buy it Now at eBay and P&P of £1.60.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Tommee-Tippee-Latex-Dummies%2fSoothers-6m-+-x-2_W0QQitemZ260331798947QQcmdZViewItem

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:33
Thanks but they are all from birth to six months. There are plenty for smaller babies its the bigger size 6-18 months that has been discontinued.

Will keep looking for u!

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:35
Have they given a reason as to why they have discontinued them - might be worth finding out just to be on the safe side.

Just reading some reviews on them just now, aparently when babies are teething they are easily biting off the tips of the dummies and swallowing it. Read one review a baby nearly chocked on it.

But then again if you are checking the dummy regularly ensuring it is still in tact then im sure it shouldnt be too bad!

And if it gives the parents some sleep! I TOTALLY understand!! :lol:

lynne duncan
23-Dec-08, 23:35
tesco online are showing that they stock these have you tried the wick store, or push come to a shove the dingwall store my pal is coming up tomorrow, if they have them in stock i could twist her arm to pick them up if you like
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/1/xpi63137071.htm

telfordstar
23-Dec-08, 23:38
I totally sympathise with you on this i had the same problem with my son many years ago. fortunatly his one was from boots and when the wick shop stopped taking them in the got some up from newcastle for us.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:41
I totally sympathise with you on this i had the same problem with my son many years ago. fortunatly his one was from boots and when the wick shop stopped taking them in the got some up from newcastle for us.

That was very nice of them! Im glad my son is not relying on his dummy anymore! If its not food...he aint interested now! :lol:

But the poor thing is ill! Lack of sleep for me...with or without a dummy!! [smirk]

Venture
23-Dec-08, 23:42
I have just found this one for Only £2.99 for 6 months + with Buy it Now at eBay and P&P of £1.60.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Tommee-Tippee-Latex-Dummies%2fSoothers-6m-+-x-2_W0QQitemZ260331798947QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Kodiak but they are not Closer to Nature type.

wifie
23-Dec-08, 23:44
I would view it as an ideal opportunity to ditch the dummy! Perhaps the wee guy's refusal of any other dummy is because he bit thru the old one and it gave him a fright! Have to say it sounds rather dangerous if children are able to bite thru them.

dirtywicker
23-Dec-08, 23:46
Hi dont know if this will help you but my baby girl was also on the tommee tippee closer to nature dummys & couldnt get them anywhere, so i tried her with the difrax dental ones & now thats all she'll use & she took it straight away as well, heres a LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIFRAX-Boys-Blue-Stars-Dummy-Soother-6m-Dental-NEW_W0QQitemZ330292018458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bab y_Baby_Feeding_Dummies_Pacifiers_Teething_Aids?has h=item330292018458&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) for them, theyr £5.25 here but im sure i got them cheaper from a site online but cant remember for the life of me what the name of it is :confused

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:47
I would view it as an ideal opportunity to ditch the dummy! Perhaps the wee guy's refusal of any other dummy is because he bit thru the old one and it gave him a fright! Have to say it sounds rather dangerous if children are able to bite thru them.

Thats what i dont like about them!

But i read that some breastfed children get a certain comfort from dummies. Its that they are able to suck i think...i know my son did!

Unfortunately i never got shown how to feed so wasnt able to continue after 3-4 weeks! :mad: But the dummy eased him on to bottles a bit easier!

lynne duncan
23-Dec-08, 23:47
i do like the power of the org, its a handy place to ask for help

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:49
i do like the power of the org, its a handy place to ask for help

Indeed it is! Everybody seems very friendly and willing to take time to help!

Venture
23-Dec-08, 23:51
You're right there Lynne. The ones in Tescos Wick are the new range. Its the discontinued range that we need. They have been discontinued not because of any safety issues but a design fault in the rim of the dummy which apparently wasn't easy to keep clean. We emailed Tommy Tippee and this was the answer back. They have had requests from many parents looking for the said dummy.

lynne duncan
23-Dec-08, 23:52
hi venture
wasn't sure if you got my pm, phoned tesco in wick and they say they have them in stock
tescos number 673407

Venture
23-Dec-08, 23:53
Hi dont know if this will help you but my baby girl was also on the tommee tippee closer to nature dummys & couldnt get them anywhere, so i tried her with the difrax dental ones & now thats all she'll use & she took it straight away as well, heres a LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIFRAX-Boys-Blue-Stars-Dummy-Soother-6m-Dental-NEW_W0QQitemZ330292018458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bab y_Baby_Feeding_Dummies_Pacifiers_Teething_Aids?has h=item330292018458&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) for them, theyr £5.25 here but im sure i got them cheaper from a site online but cant remember for the life of me what the name of it is :confused

Thanks for this, you'll know what I'm talking about then. We shall try this one to see if it helps.

Venture
24-Dec-08, 00:02
Thanks Lynne for being so helpful. The replies have been coming so fast I can't keep up with them. If you want any help the org is definitely the best place to find it.

Wifie I know you are maybe right in saying now is the time to ditch it but he only has it at night to fall asleep. Once he's asleep it's taken from him.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:05
Thanks Lynne for being so helpful. The replies have been coming so fast I can't keep up with them. If you want any help the org is definitely the best place to find it.

Wifie I know you are maybe right in saying now is the time to ditch it but he only has it at night to fall asleep. Once he's asleep it's taken from him.

if its what it takes to get some sleep for the parents then shove it in i say! haha! Sleep is neccessary especially at this stressfull time of years!

Anyways children will forget about dummies in their own time!

My mum told me the dummy fairy swapped it for some chocolate buttons! Aparently i never wanted a dummy again! :lol:

wifie
24-Dec-08, 00:08

Venture I wasn't being judgemental - just not a dummy fan - that probably showed didn't it?

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:19
Venture I wasn't being judgemental - just not a dummy fan - that probably showed didn't it?

I dont think alot of people are dummy fans nowadays! I am not a huge one...but i had too!!! :lol: Was really bad after my wee one was born! Never realised a c-section would be so hard! I thought it was the cheaters way oot! Then came home 2 days later, sore, never slept at all, OH's kids here too, and e in laws stayin with me too!

I needed a dummy for him!!! :roll:

dirtywicker
24-Dec-08, 00:21
i didnt want my little girl on the dummy but when we got home from the hospital(after a really bad labour & birth) she wouldnt settle at all,screamed for hours on end!:~(
it was a last resource that the midwife suggested but it worked :)
shes only on the dummy when shes going for a sleep then i take it from her when she falls asleep

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:23
i didnt want my little girl on the dummy but when we got home from the hospital(after a really bad labour & birth) she wouldnt settle at all,screamed for hours on end!:~(
it was a last resource that the midwife suggested but it worked :)
shes only on the dummy when shes going for a sleep then i take it from her when she falls asleep

My midwife said i wasna allowed to use a dummy, so i hid it from her when she came...but then again my midwife called me a bad mother too! [evil]

dirtywicker
24-Dec-08, 00:27
My midwife said i wasna allowed to use a dummy, so i hid it from her when she came...but then again my midwife called me a bad mother too! [evil]
you cant win with them can you lol
right now my health visoter is telling me to cut out my little girls bottles & only give her 1 at night if she needs it (shes nearly 8 months), but i disagree if shes wants the milk im not going to take her of it, when she teething bad she wont take solids so she just has her bottle but the health visitor says ,no just let her do without she'll get hungry & then take the solids! but i dont want to starve her lol

Venture
24-Dec-08, 00:33

Never thought that of you for a minute wifie. If the truth be know I'm not a fan of them myself. But I'm not the one having to listen to him at 2am (thank goodness) so thought I would try and help them out by asking folk on the org. I thought maybe someone might have a spare one or a packet unopened. They have tried everywhere. They are so desperate they would pay the £24.99 for the peace.:lol:

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:40
you cant win with them can you lol
right now my health visoter is telling me to cut out my little girls bottles & only give her 1 at night if she needs it (shes nearly 8 months), but i disagree if shes wants the milk im not going to take her of it, when she teething bad she wont take solids so she just has her bottle but the health visitor says ,no just let her do without she'll get hungry & then take the solids! but i dont want to starve her lol

No i cant win with them! They said i was doing the wrong thing because i stopped breast feeding! I had to stop because i was never actually shown how to feed and i got mastitus, blood blisters and ulcers. My son was spewing up blood from me! so i expressed for a while then all i was doing was expressing so i stopped! Went to bottles and he started sleeping from 9.30pm-8am! Never looked back. But he has a bad chest infection just now so isnt eating much so wakes thru the night just now!

I dread visits from the health visitor sometimes, not because she is horrible or anything but because of what might be said! :~(

dirtywicker
24-Dec-08, 00:47
i feel exactly the same lol luckily i only have to go to the drop in once a month now lol
but i mean am i doing the right thing by keeping her on all her bottles & solids as well? she lost a lot of weight after she was born, & was constantly sick as well & has just found her weight line now so i dont really want to take her of the milk yet but the health visitor is telling me that she shouldnt be getting so much milk(3 bottles a day) & solids

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:55
i feel exactly the same lol luckily i only have to go to the drop in once a month now lol
but i mean am i doing the right thing by keeping her on all her bottles & solids as well? she lost a lot of weight after she was born, & was constantly sick as well & has just found her weight line now so i dont really want to take her of the milk yet but the health visitor is telling me that she shouldnt be getting so much milk(3 bottles a day) & solids

Im not seeing health visitor til January now. But i have not had many visits since my son was born 11 weeks ago now.

If YOU feel that your daughter is benefiting from having bottles and solids then i say keep doing it! You are the person who spends every day with her...the health visitor doesnt even know her!!

My son is not gaining weight fast but he is doing ok. He seems Happy! Which to them i suppose it does not matter because they are not up til all hours of the night with them if they are screaming for milk!

I am taking little if not none of health visitors advice, he is my son! My partner has raised 2 other boys already and they are fine! So i say do your own thing! :D

TBH
24-Dec-08, 01:48
My midwife said i wasna allowed to use a dummy, so i hid it from her when she came...but then again my midwife called me a bad mother too! [evil]I hope you made a complaint? Nobody, especially a so-called professional, has the right to judge you in any way.

Julia
24-Dec-08, 01:54
I've got one you can have, it's been used but only a couple of times and looks like new, nothing sterilising won't sort out! I found it in the cupboard a couple of days ago but just noticed your post. I am positive it's for 6 months plus.

Venture
24-Dec-08, 10:02
I've got one you can have, it's been used but only a couple of times and looks like new, nothing sterilising won't sort out! I found it in the cupboard a couple of days ago but just noticed your post. I am positive it's for 6 months plus.

Thanks Julia have PM'd you.

Venture
24-Dec-08, 10:06
Thanks to everyone who replied. Once again the orgers have come to the rescue. What would we do without them?;)