PDA

View Full Version : Rab C Nesbitt

Amy-Winehouse
23-Dec-08, 22:30
Anyone watching this? Its absolute dire, please do not ever make another program as it has been over for 10 years & does not deserve to have its memory sullied like tonights show.

I feel so sorry for Gregor Fisher as this is mince tv viewing, Elaine C Smith is a poor columnist for a very poor sunday paper & he has to work with her-poor guy.

I switched off after 12 mins as it was rubbish- anyone else feel the same???

telfordstar
23-Dec-08, 22:38
what you on amy are you like your name sake why give up after 12 mins watch the show then make judgement i have found it rather funny

balto
23-Dec-08, 22:46
cant stand this vile man, i know he is just acting, but find him disgusting, such a bad role model for us scottish people.

changilass
23-Dec-08, 22:49
Its a comedy, he aint meant to be a role model to anyone.

balto
23-Dec-08, 22:51
Its a comedy, he aint meant to be a role model to anyone.
sorry but seen funnier things on the news and that is depressing the whole time.

arana negra
23-Dec-08, 22:51
I chose not to watch it. I never liked it and feel it does nothing for the image of Scotland. It is another programme that helps with the myth that all scots are like that.

balto
23-Dec-08, 22:54
I chose not to watch it. I never liked it and feel it does nothing for the image of Scotland. It is another programme that helps with the myth that all scots are like that.
aye a bunch of lazy drunks, thankfully we arent all like that .

changilass
23-Dec-08, 22:56
How thick would viewers have to be to believe that all scots were like him, its a tv prog, supposedly entertaining and in no way meant as a guide to Scotland for outsiders or a target to aim for for the youth of the coutry.

MadPict
23-Dec-08, 22:59
I dozed off.........

Must have been good.

arana negra
23-Dec-08, 23:03
How thick would viewers have to be to believe that all scots were like him, its a tv prog, supposedly entertaining and in no way meant as a guide to Scotland for outsiders or a target to aim for for the youth of the coutry.

It may not be meant as such but is seen by some as a portrayal of the scots especially from Glasgow.

Billy Boy
23-Dec-08, 23:11
I dozed off.........

Must have been good.

Your probably just at that time of life lol, do you fall asleep at your dinner and things like that, its just an age thing lol my old boy's the same ;) [lol]

Billy Boy
23-Dec-08, 23:13
It may not be meant as such but is seen by some as a portrayal of the scots especially from Glasgow.

Aye lol, its just like ma wife right enough after a few bottles o buckie she starts to sound like him :eek: she's a weegie to :lol:

Green_not_greed
23-Dec-08, 23:15

See yoo Amy doll - it wiz pure beezer! Goat a loat bettir aftir re 12 minutes.

More seriously, I thought very funny in places - up to its old standards. But distinctly ruder that it used to be. Or am I just getting older?

GNG

Gizmo
23-Dec-08, 23:17

Rab C Nesbitt might be a slight exageration of your average middle aged Glaswegian alcoholic, but i've met many Glaswegians exactly like Jamesie and Ella Cotter, you will find them in any Glaswegian social club...at any time of the day, Rab C Nesbitt (the show) is a fair representation of certain Glaswegians and certain areas of Glasgow....and it's bloody funny :)

arana negra
23-Dec-08, 23:25
Rab C Nesbitt might be a slight exageration of your average middle aged Glaswegian alcoholic, but i've met many Glaswegians exactly like Jamesie and Ella Cotter, you will find them in any Glaswegian social club...at any time of the day, Rab C Nesbitt (the show) is a fair representation of certain Glaswegians and certain areas of Glasgow....and it's bloody funny :)

It may be funny to some but it is an embarrassment to others, each to their own.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:38
I never seem to understand him! I remember my dad watching it when i was little(er)! And he is not really my kind of comedy anyways! Im more into Bill Bailey, Lee Evans, Michael Macintyre, Dylan Moran etc etc....

Fly
24-Dec-08, 01:04
It was a bit crude at times tonight and possibly not as good as before, but infinitely preferable to Jonathan Ross.

hotrod4
24-Dec-08, 09:45
Rab is a cool geezer,he hails from Govan you know!!:lol:(best part of Glasgow)
I am sure there are many "Rab C" type geezers up here, can think of 1 already but wont mention his name or he'll be after me on his bike!!!;)

Havent seen it yet as it was the season finale on CSI Miami which I cant miss,but will check it out,by the way big man,watch yer motor mister,ye lookin at ma bird?

hotrod4
24-Dec-08, 13:50
AS others have said it is a poor representation of Scotland, what about High road? Used to love that!
Did it mirror highland life?
The town busybody who was holier than thou?
The English owners of the Hotel who spoke perfect "Eton" english?
The English laird who was having a wee bit of fun with the hired hand-the token irishman?
The copper who was a bad boy? (last weeks groat)
The token Welshman? (see Kevin Milkins!!![lol])
The Stereotypical Glaswegian Mechanic who just so happened to be a bit of a wide boy?

Was it a fair representation of a Highland village?

Bring back high road,it was the truest thing on the telly!!!!:lol:

Green_not_greed
24-Dec-08, 14:19
I never watched High Road but thought that Hamish MacBeath was quite close to the mark here in Caithness....

GNG

Max
24-Dec-08, 14:54
I'm a weegie born and bred. Rab C imo is hilarious. There are many Rab C's in Glasgow - it's just so funny cos it is so real - ok not everyone is like that, but taken with a pinch of salt, it is harmless fun!

percy toboggan
24-Dec-08, 15:03
It's on disc and I'll view it this afto.
I'm quite looking forward to it after all the feedback on 'ere.

Amy-Winehouse
24-Dec-08, 15:23
what you on amy are you like your name sake why give up after 12 mins watch the show then make judgement i have found it rather funny

Im just expressing my view, I was on another forum & 90% said it was tripe & I thought the same.
Once iupon a time it was my favourite show, but times change, its had its day so consign it to the past. I still love Still Game but realise it is past its best also hopefully some new talent will come along on Scottish comedy as its not brilliant at the moment

Boss
24-Dec-08, 17:16
Anyone watching this? Its absolute dire, please do not ever make another program as it has been over for 10 years & does not deserve to have its memory sullied like tonights show.

I feel so sorry for Gregor Fisher as this is mince tv viewing, Elaine C Smith is a poor columnist for a very poor sunday paper & he has to work with her-poor guy.

I grew up beside Gregor and attended the same Schools in Neilston & Barrhead, he is the nicest of people. and not at all like Rab C,
although he has captured Rab C to a T,
Elaine C is funny, most especially in live plays and portrays the down trodden and neglected wife, as a stand up comedian she is even better,
I very much enjoy the show and don't mind them being repeated, they have to a degree become part of the institution as it were,
Anyone who has not always had good fortune and understands what is like to be poor, jobless, not sober and stuck in a town's housing scheme in some concrete jungle surely can see the humour in something which has serious undertones,
I would think that if you don't like the show, then just don't watch it. Such as Billy Connelly and
Rab C, have along with countless other Glasgow comics become a legend in their own right.

Boss
24-Dec-08, 17:22
Im just expressing my view, I was on another forum & 90% said it was tripe & I thought the same.
Once iupon a time it was my favourite show, but times change, its had its day so consign it to the past. I still love Still Game but realise it is past its best also hopefully some new talent will come along on Scottish comedy as its not brilliant at the moment

Although I agree with much of your comment, I disagree that Rab C is past it's day.
Simply, there is higher alcoholism now than there was then, the same problems in inner cities still exist, except now the people are getting younger.
The "callies" & "buckfast" might have changed to more "modern drinks" but the problems remain.

weeboyagee
24-Dec-08, 22:08
Help ma boab - are they no aw like that in Glesga - well the last time I was there, there were a few like that :lol: I found it hilarious - especially the further into the programme it got - the bit with him on the table covering the altogether with a frying pan and the gang walk in was priceless! Get a grip - it's hilarity - not all ministers are like the Reverend I M Jolly, sic not all weegies are like Rab - unless you drink in the right bar - sorry - canna help masel!!!!

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
24-Dec-08, 22:12
I was on another forum & 90% said it was tripe & I thought the same.
Och, that'll be thoan wan wi they fowk fae Easter Road - only because they cannae unnerstawn whit they're sayin, eh Golach? :lol:

ywindythesecond
24-Dec-08, 22:20

I taped the show to watch later and I was nearly put off watching because of the early posts on this thread. I am really glad I watched it because it has many hilarious moments, along with some really cringeworthy ones too it must be said, but on balance I thought it was really good.
It has to be remembered that Rab C will never appeal to a huge market simply because of the dialect, and remember too that he is a caricature, not a documentary.
Even then Rab C is much more real than Reality TV.
I'm a bit biased. About 25 years ago I went to a play in Eden Court Theatre in Inverness with Elaine C Smith and Tony Roper, and there was audience participation and Elaine came into the audience and sat on my knee. Far as I am concerned she can't do a thing wrong. Our teenage daughter was mortified !

del 123
24-Dec-08, 22:40

yes me too thought was poor.could not find anything to laugh at.still game is far better comedy!

golach
24-Dec-08, 23:50
Och, that'll be thoan wan wi they fowk fae Easter Road - only because they cannae unnerstawn whit they're sayin, eh Golach? :lol:

Go an wash your mooth oot wi carbolic WBG, the Easter Rd crew in my hoose last night loved the show, Rab , has matured, he an Mary doll, Gash, an Jamsie have all become like you, a lot older, but maybe in your case not a lot wiser [lol]

percy toboggan
25-Dec-08, 21:07
We watched this last night and haven't laughed so much in ages.
It was bordering on the birlliant some of the time and never less than smile inducing...perhaps seeing the characters have aged a decade or more since the last outing added to the grin count...old friends updated....not that they'd give me much time of day.Ainglish bar steward that I am.

The Muslim karoake was funny...and it's good to see nothing is taboo - women in burkhas...oops sorry 'ni-qabs' are ripe for visual comedy if it's done selectively and sparingly.

I hope we get a series out of this.Rab's face cracks me up and no...I don't think he's typical of all Scots...or all Glaswegian or even those in Govan...but I've been there...can't speak for me fellow Anglo's who haven't.

Did anyone else recognise the 'prima-nochta' bride from Braveheart behind the bar?

Keep Rab coming - he's a blast of un-p.c.fresh air.
Royle Family tonight + W & G ....telly's looking up.

ShelleyCowie
25-Dec-08, 21:13

Seems you cant express your own view in many threads "amy winehouse" :confused

JAWS
25-Dec-08, 21:35
I don't think anybody is having a go at Amy for her point of view, yes others have expressed different views but it would be one hell of a boring life if everybody had the same attitudes to everything, especially the same sense of humour.

As for Rab C. giving Scotland a poor image at least you only have him for the occasional series.
How do you lot think I feel with the Corrie Horror Show on every night with folks fretting over it like it was a fly on the wall documentary?
Then just spare a thought for poor Londoners with Eastenders making the place look like the ultimate in doom and gloom with a never ending series of total disasters.

Picking on that poor, sober(ish), upright (well almost) Glaswegian, I think you're all terrible.

arana negra
25-Dec-08, 21:36
Help ma boab - are they no aw like that in Glesga - well the last time I was there, there were a few like that :lol: I found it hilarious - especially the further into the programme it got - the bit with him on the table covering the altogether with a frying pan and the gang walk in was priceless! Get a grip - it's hilarity - not all ministers are like the Reverend I M Jolly, sic not all weegies are like Rab - unless you drink in the right bar - sorry - canna help masel!!!!

I have a grip on what is real in my life that is not and it is not funny to me, as I said each to their own.

nightowl
26-Dec-08, 02:02
Loved it. Great to see Rab C. and Mary doll back. Nice to see Mary doll getting the upper hand as usual. Like it or not, these guys have Glasgow humour down to a tee. Long live "Still Game" and "Chewin the fat" too!!!

MadPict
26-Dec-08, 13:01
Well, I watched it again on BBC iPlayer - managed to stay awake this time!

It was funny...

Welcomefamily
26-Dec-08, 13:17
I enjoyed it, when I was recently down south, a report had just come out on Glasgow being Europes most deprived area with the worst life expectancy.

We might be able to get a lot more European Aid. :lol:

weeboyagee
26-Dec-08, 19:57
Ach at last the bulk of the nation has seen the light and realise that wur Rab is a gem - like Oor Wullie is and the Broons are - c'moan - admit it - ye really like him - but each to there own right enough - "" that I am...... eh Amy?

weeboyagee
26-Dec-08, 20:02
Go an wash your mooth oot wi carbolic WBG, the Easter Rd crew in my hoose last night loved the show, Rab , has matured, he an Mary doll, Gash, an Jamsie have all become like you, a lot older, but maybe in your case not a lot wiser [lol]
Wiser? Never Golach - wisdom fills me with fear - age is just something we have to get used to! Wisdom would also stop me coming back to the boards every now and then - it's the call you know! Merry Christmas and good luck for tomorrow!

cullykev
27-Dec-08, 04:25
geta grip its only TV .

Amy-Winehouse
27-Dec-08, 10:01
Ach at last the bulk of the nation has seen the light and realise that wur Rab is a gem - like Oor Wullie is and the Broons are - c'moan - admit it - ye really like him - but each to there own right enough - "" that I am...... eh Amy?

Do you think so[lol]