PDA

View Full Version : Blaster Worm

golach
13-Aug-03, 13:48
to all my pals
sorry folkies Ive been caught out by this worm will get back on asap, at work just now
Golach

Mr P Cannop
13-Aug-03, 13:56
whats the name of this worm ??

what happend ??

sassylass
13-Aug-03, 17:30
I got this email from our friend tandemonkey:

"The new “Blaster” worm that’s receiving a lot of press is a headache. It does NOT travel from computer to computer through e-mail. Instead, it exploits a vulnerability in Windows for which fixes have been available for quite some time. If you’re not in the habit of keeping Windows up to date, and if you are ever on the Internet, and if you don’t have a firewall to block certain Internet traffic, you are at risk.

Here’s the first thing to check.

Go to your Control Panels display (Start/Control Panels, or Start/Settings/Control Panels depending on what version of Windows you have).

Choose “Add or Remove Programs”.

Look through the list for a Windows “Hotfix” with the number 823980 (or KB823980). If you see it in the list, then your computer is safe. If you don’t see it, then your computer is vulnerable to this attack, and you should go to Microsoft’s site to get the fix as soon as possible. Click here for the Microsoft security web page. On this page, find the “Patch Availability” section, and choose the link that matches your operating system, which takes you to a page where you can download the patch.

You can find out if you have been infected by downloading and running the Fixblast program from Symantec (maker of Norton Anti-virus)… click here to go to the page where you can download the Fixblast removal tool.

Oh, one more thing… if any of you have switched over to Macintosh… you’ve avoided all this. It only affects Windows."

Mr P Cannop
14-Aug-03, 10:34
i think this is a fake virus

golach
14-Aug-03, 13:14
P Cannop
NO WAY IS THIS A FAKE!!!!!!!!!!! Wait till you get it....I bet you are glad you didna get WindowsXP now
Golach

calish6
15-Aug-03, 11:46
IT IS REAL !!! [evil] Believe me!
I had this virus 2 nights ago.
It keeps shutting the computer down every time you try and use the microsoft site, so you are unable to download a virus killer.

Does not affect Windows 95 and 98

I eventually managed to download a patch through Norton anti-virus.

use the link below to rid your system of this pest.
If you dont, you will have nothing but bother if you are using XP or other new versions of Windows

:evil http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe :evil

Mr P Cannop
15-Aug-03, 11:52
seems like i have beeing proved wrong ??

calish6
15-Aug-03, 12:08
Protect your computer for approx. £17 by visiting www.endads.com

This will kill 'popups' which can have the tendancy to carry nasty bugs.

I see it has been on the news today as being quite serious.