PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army Band

Fluff
21-Dec-08, 16:29
I do not know what it is about the sally army band, but whenever I hear them play during the Christmas season is makes me cry. Everytime! I always make sure to give them some money, and I think they di a fantastic job.

Does anybody else get moved then they hear a band play etc.. in public?

Welcomefamily
21-Dec-08, 17:02
I think its something tradionally, you use to get every christmas in shopping centres around the UK, back when christmas was about every thing closing on Christmas Day and Boxing day.

muffin
21-Dec-08, 17:55
Yes I get mournful too when I hear them play and I cannot pass without giving all the change in my purse, they were in Tesco on Saturday and I hope they got a lot of money because they deserve it for the work they do, out in all weathers collecting and helping unfortunate people, very good samritans.

domino
21-Dec-08, 21:02
I often think that the Salvation Army are the forgotten heroes as regards their charitable works. Would never grudge giveing them money.

dirdyweeker
21-Dec-08, 21:08
......................Does anybody else get moved then they hear a band play etc.. in public?

Yes, I do. I could stand all night and listen to a Pipe Band. Feel a great emotional pull on the heart strings especially if I am away from home.
Also feel the Salvation Army do a great job. I (many moons ago) used to go regularly and sing their famous "J O Y" song!

cuddlepop
21-Dec-08, 21:21
Not a religious person but there's something about the Sally Army that makes the world seem a brighter place.
Really missed hearing them this festive "shop" in Inverness.

Long may their trumpet blow.:D

Alice in Blunderland
21-Dec-08, 23:04
Yes, I do. I could stand all night and listen to a Pipe Band. Feel a great emotional pull on the heart strings especially if I am away from home.
Also feel the Salvation Army do a great job. I (many moons ago) used to go regularly and sing their famous "J O Y" song!

As a child I was regularly taken to the Salvation Army services with my parents. I joined the band and was taught firstly Tenor Horn then moved onto the Cornet. I remember fondly playing christmas carols with the band. That was the start of my musical interests.

They do an excellent job working with the homeless and all without 'blowing their own Trumpet' to coin a phrase. They also work at reuniting famillies with missing love ones. :)

Highland lad
23-Dec-08, 16:27
I heard them the other week in Thurso and they were brilliant. It made it really feel like christmas. I gave them money which was much deserved.

Nice to see people still have the christmas spirit

Bad Manners
23-Dec-08, 17:13
I think it's something to do with the way it sounds not just at this time of year but at anytime. when you hear a brass band you have to stop and listen it's true of the pipes as well both evoke deep memories and long may the continue to do so.
Though not a religeous person I applaude the charity work the the Salvation Army does Hope they raise enough funds to continue in their good works