PDA

View Full Version : Is this too simple a remedy for Christmas Post??

brokencross
21-Dec-08, 10:17
Just an idea, which probably has lots of flaws waiting to be zapped by Orgers, but here goes anyway.

It seems to be Christmas cards which brings this "oversize non-delivery surcharge" to the fore and the public's attention.

Maybe the Royal Mail could have a moratorium on the envelope size for a set period of time in December, say the 1st to 14th December where a normal 1st class stamp would suffice for cards which were slightly thicker than 5mm or the dimensions exceed the permitted. (Ordinary 2nd class stamps would not be granted this privilege to keep financial losses to a minimum). Obviously there would have to be a sensible limit to the excess in size to stop blatant abuse.

Once identified as having insufficient postage, these oversize items already have to be "handled" separately and manually in order to send them to sorting offices to be picked up and collected by the addressee upon payment of the surcharge.

So surely it would be just as easy to put them back in the system manually by-passing the size machine so they can be delivered along with the mail.

The rest of the year the strict size regime could be enforced.

Happy Royal Mail customers at Christmas, a good PR exercise for Royal Mail

Bobinovich
21-Dec-08, 12:16
Alternatively why don't the card manufacturers ensure that they conform to the RM's size guides when designing/making the cards? If it's above the standard 1st / 2nd class size then they could have a wee statement on the cellophane "This card is larger than the Royal Mail standard size and may incur additional charges if posting.".

brokencross
21-Dec-08, 14:18
Alternatively why don't the card manufacturers ensure that they conform to the RM's size guides when designing/making the cards? If it's above the standard 1st / 2nd class size then they could have a wee statement on the cellophane "This card is larger than the Royal Mail standard size and may incur additional charges if posting.".

I knew there would be a simpler solution!!?

teenybash
21-Dec-08, 14:41
Common sense......always wins......:Razz

airdlass
21-Dec-08, 15:23
Some individually priced cards have either "letter" or "large letter" symbols on them but I haven't come across any on the boxes of cards yet.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Dec-08, 15:42
Some individually priced cards have either "letter" or "large letter" symbols on them but I haven't come across any on the boxes of cards yet.

I bought a boxed set of six cards with the information on the back saying it was a letter size. :)

mums angels
21-Dec-08, 15:47
i've seen boxes of cards saying letter size on them , if people can't be bothered going to the post office to check size and weight of cards ..buy smaller ones

This year i've had a few notes from post office saying i have to pay 1.15 to pick up a xmas card .. i've not bothered picking them up, its more than the cards probably worth

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 20:08
i've seen boxes of cards saying letter size on them , if people can't be bothered going to the post office to check size and weight of cards ..buy smaller ones

This year i've had a few notes from post office saying i have to pay 1.15 to pick up a xmas card .. i've not bothered picking them up, its more than the cards probably worth

Haha had better hope nobody has sent you some money then! :lol:

mums angels
22-Dec-08, 01:49
Haha yes true but everyone that sends the kids money write cheques and usually phone to check that i have recieved it or ask why its not yet been cashed (usually takes me ages) ... besides it's the same people every year so would know if i was missing one ...and all have been accounted for this year at least :lol:

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 12:54
That is good! I like to phone people to make sure they get things too! I have had a few times where things get lost! That annoys me! :mad: