PDA

View Full Version : Sky not working

viking
20-Dec-08, 22:30
Sky not working tonight. I guess this is a result of last night's storm. The dish etc appears to be intact though. All advice welcome.

Mik.M.
20-Dec-08, 22:35
Try unplugging your box for a few minutes then plug it back in,it should reset itself,also check all cables at the back of the box. Mik.

viking
20-Dec-08, 22:49
Thanks. Tried that but just says 'No satellite signal is being received 29'

Kodiak
20-Dec-08, 23:00
Could be your Dish has been blown slightly out of Allignment as I am getting SKY OK.

Other than switching off at the Plug and removing the Plug and SKY Card for 30 seconds as you would to reduce the static, I can think of nothing else.

2little2late
20-Dec-08, 23:07
Sky not working tonight. All advice welcome.

Have just looked out of the window and the sky seems alright to me. It is dark, lots of stars and the occasional cloud as well. [lol] [lol]

viking
20-Dec-08, 23:09
Thank you. Guess a call to Chessors or Alacam on Monday is needed!

viking
20-Dec-08, 23:10
Thanks 2little2late - like that one!!!:D:roll:

ks
20-Dec-08, 23:45
Sky not working tonight. I guess this is a result of last night's storm. The dish etc appears to be intact though. All advice welcome.

Ours is off too, I spoke to Sky earlier today and they are arranging an engineer as looks like my dish must have moved due to the high winds.

purplelady
20-Dec-08, 23:57
call sky tech support they may be able to help somestimes they can send a signal sometimes and that resets it x

Gizmo
21-Dec-08, 00:36
Have just looked out of the window and the sky seems alright to me. It is dark, lots of stars and the occasional cloud as well. [lol] [lol]

Dahhhhhhhhhh....ya beat me to it...noh fair :lol:

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 01:16
My grandad is havin the same problem! His sky went out and kept saying no satalite signal is being recieved??

And if you are tryin to get chessor i have to wait til 27th January! :(

kerzbabezx
21-Dec-08, 02:03
iv got a picture on mine now but its been going on & off with no picture since friday night:(

Foxy
21-Dec-08, 02:34
If your seeing the message no satellite signal is being recieved, go to the services menu and press number 4 system set up then number 6 which is signal test and if it says it's not locked your dish has moved. Hubby was up on our roof today moving ours as it went off last night with the wind. :roll:

viking
21-Dec-08, 15:39
Thanks to everyone. Foxy, I'm doing that now and the lock indicator says OK though signal strength is only about 50%. Have unplugged and removed the Sky card also but to no avail. Looks fine on the roof and all cabling appears to be intact.

Moonboots
21-Dec-08, 20:37
Its still down to your dish being misalligned. I know this time of year its hard to get an installer through Sky to get it realligned.
Just ask a satellite installer like myself and see if they can provide a slot to fix the dish.

sweetpea
21-Dec-08, 20:40
My dish does this the whole time and I just adjust it myself, it had no signal this morning so I just went out and straightened it up and it worked again.:)

Kodiak
21-Dec-08, 21:07
My dish does this the whole time and I just adjust it myself, it had no signal this morning so I just went out and straightened it up and it worked again.:)

This is great as long as you are able Bodied and can climb a Ladder. At one time this would have been no problem for me, but now impossible.

So if anything does go wrong I will need to get a contractor to fix it for me.

viking
21-Dec-08, 23:45
Thanks for offering Moonboots. The dish is seriously high. PM me if you've got a head for heights!

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 23:57
My sky is still going into stand by! I will be sitting watching a program and then it comes up in that stupid blue box saying " your sky is about to go into stand by mode"

Doesnt give me an option to stop it doing it or change the channel! It just switches off!! Luckily am gettin sky+ in january but its annoying me in the middle o my daily ritual o programs!! [evil] [evil]

Moonboots (PAUL) Help! If u dinna reply i will get Andrew to pester ya!! :lol:

2little2late
22-Dec-08, 00:00
So glad I have Freeview.

sweetpea
22-Dec-08, 00:22
This is great as long as you are able Bodied and can climb a Ladder. At one time this would have been no problem for me, but now impossible.

So if anything does go wrong I will need to get a contractor to fix it for me.

I can reach it but if I couldn't I'd rope a able bodied person into doing it for me. Believe me I'm not that good on my feet.:roll:

Kodiak
22-Dec-08, 13:46
I can reach it but if I couldn't I'd rope a able bodied person into doing it for me. Believe me I'm not that good on my feet.:roll:

That seems a reasonable idea but Unfortunately I know of No One who would go up a Ladder. Also I do not own a Ladder and even if I did I would Not ask anyone to go up it as the Dish is quite High. Just imagine what would happen if they fell or had an accident while up the ladder. Who would be to blame? Why me of course in these days of litigation.

So in the long run I would rather Pay for an Engineer to fix any problems as then you have no worries about being sued and it will be done correctly.

Kodiak
22-Dec-08, 13:48
My sky is still going into stand by! I will be sitting watching a program and then it comes up in that stupid blue box saying " your sky is about to go into stand by mode"

Doesnt give me an option to stop it doing it or change the channel! It just switches off!! Luckily am gettin sky+ in january but its annoying me in the middle o my daily ritual o programs!! [evil] [evil]

If you get the message that you SKY Box is going into Standby then all you need to do is to press "Backup" and it will not go into Standby. At least this is what happens with my Box.

Moonboots
22-Dec-08, 14:35
Shelly,

You say that you are getting sky+ in January. Do you not have this already.
Only Sky+ or HD boxes have the standby feature and not a standard box.

IF its a Sky+ box, then it is setup to place itself into standby mode to save energy.
This can be switched off in the Services menu in Sky+ setup option.
Look for Auto Standby and change this to off. Then apply settings and that will be your problem solved.

Cheers
Paul

hotrod4
22-Dec-08, 14:49
Shelly,

You say that you are getting sky+ in January. Do you not have this already.
Only Sky+ or HD boxes have the standby feature and not a standard box.

IF its a Sky+ box, then it is setup to place itself into standby mode to save energy.
This can be switched off in the Services menu in Sky+ setup option.
Look for Auto Standby and change this to off. Then apply settings and that will be your problem solved.

Cheers
Paul

I read that its on SKY+ as standard but older boxes were sent an "upgrade" to make them switch off, so its not just SKY+ boxes it does this too, its ALL sky boxes now,but as you say its user defined in the services menu.Its not on all sky boxes though on some it has disappeared so you cant change it.if its still there You can over ride it, press services, 5, and turn autostandby from on to off.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 14:58
I dont have sky+ yet...am getting it in January. The guy was meant to come on the 17th of december but sky messed it up so now i have to wait.

I have never had any problems in the past with it going on to stand by! It just started happening!

I hate technology! Poo!! :roll:

golach
22-Dec-08, 15:01

Doesnt give me an option to stop it doing it or change the channel! It just switches off!! Luckily am gettin sky+ in january but its annoying me in the middle o my daily ritual o programs!!

Moonboots (PAUL) Help! If u dinna reply i will get Andrew to pester ya!!

On your sky remote control go to "services" then go to #5 "Sky + Set up, then scroll down to "Autostand by" and turn it off. as easy as that, if I can do it, so can anyone else :D

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 22:42
Im so thick! :lol:

igglepiggle
22-Dec-08, 23:01
ours was the same, my wee one watches his c beebies and he will come through with the romote as we had a stand by message also he wasnt a happy chap :lol:

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 23:05
ours was the same, my wee one watches his c beebies and he will come through with the romote as we had a stand by message also he wasnt a happy chap :lol:

Dont blame him! I wud rage if i got interupted watchin somethin like Big cook little cook or balamory! [lol]

Poor bairn!!

sweetpea
23-Dec-08, 01:18
That seems a reasonable idea but Unfortunately I know of No One who would go up a Ladder. Also I do not own a Ladder and even if I did I would Not ask anyone to go up it as the Dish is quite High. Just imagine what would happen if they fell or had an accident while up the ladder. Who would be to blame? Why me of course in these days of litigation.

So in the long run I would rather Pay for an Engineer to fix any problems as then you have no worries about being sued and it will be done correctly.

That sounds a bit parnanoid to me. Why not bar everyone from your house and have no friends.

Moonboots
23-Dec-08, 13:47
Im sorry but i havnt came across a standard box coming up with a standby option. Maybe there has been an upgrade i havnt been told about.

igglepiggle
23-Dec-08, 14:07
Dont blame him! I wud rage if i got interupted watchin somethin like Big cook little cook or balamory! [lol]

Poor bairn!!

haha, i just get shouted mummy, big smiles and a happy chap when i take it off:D

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 14:09
Im sorry but i havnt came across a standard box coming up with a standby option. Maybe there has been an upgrade i havnt been told about.

At least i know i will be happy with my new sky+ in January! Until then i will battle the stand by!

Maybe the sky is tired?? [lol]

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 14:13
haha, i just get shouted mummy, big smiles and a happy chap when i take it off:D

Haha good lad!!

Moonboots
23-Dec-08, 18:11
Just so you know there was an update sent out to standard sky boxeas but only a few which could hold the upgrade. All you do is go into the services menu and select option 5 and turn off the auto standby.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 18:13
Just so you know there was an update sent out to standard sky boxeas but only a few which could hold the upgrade. All you do is go into the services menu and select option 5 and turn off the auto standby.

Cheers moonboots!

Moonboots
23-Dec-08, 19:47
Cheers moonboots!

Your Welcome Shell....

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-08, 23:24
Your Welcome Shell....

I was round at yer hoose moonboots wi alana and u wasna even ere! Tut tut!! :lol:

Moonboots
24-Dec-08, 11:11
Sorry was out doing last minute deliveries...lol