PDA

View Full Version : Police threaten "gritty" good deed criminal

brokencross
20-Dec-08, 12:14
It is no wonder people lose faith in the police, especially the young. Every day you hear about people being arrested, cautioned for the most ridiculous things while violent crime and robbery seem a low priority. Maybe the target culture created by Blair's lot makes them go for the easy option just to keep the figures looking good.

This lad deserves a public commendation not criminalising by some jobsworth!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1098033/Good-Samaritan-teenager-salted-paths-elderly-held-police-hours-accused-stealing-grit.html

unicorn
20-Dec-08, 12:28
That is absolutely ridiculous, a good deed done and hassle for doing it. Little wonder people just don't help so much these days.

Gizmo
20-Dec-08, 12:45
That is truly pathetic, this country really does have it's priorities all wrong.

sam
20-Dec-08, 12:55
Although i think it is totally redicoulas that the lad got into trouble, its hardly the Police that are to blame here, they had a report of a theft which they have to follow up its called doing there job ( no matter how stupid it appears to you or I ) The council are soley to blame for not having grit at hand in the first place and secondly for telling the lad if he found some to help himself.[disgust]
So if anyone should be charged it should be the Council.

Gizmo
20-Dec-08, 13:12
Although i think it is totally redicoulas that the lad got into trouble, its hardly the Police that are to blame here, they had a report of a theft which they have to follow up its called doing there job ( no matter how stupid it appears to you or I ) The council are soley to blame for not having grit at hand in the first place and secondly for telling the lad if he found some to help himself.[disgust]
So if anyone should be charged it should be the Council.

Yeah those are fair points, but should it really have taken a two hour grilling of this lad and various threats of prosecution or caution to get to the bottom of it all?

sam
20-Dec-08, 13:37
Yeah those are fair points, but should it really have taken a two hour grilling of this lad and various threats of prosecution or caution to get to the bottom of it all?

Yes it does seem an excessive length of time, but i am not familiar with police procedures as for the threat of a caution i would imagine that would be stanard procedure to state that a caution may be given in regards to a theft.

The lads acted on the councils say so, but if they hadnt it would of been seen as a deliberate theft, even though their intentions were good.
The police have procedures to follow and rules and regulations just like everyone else in employment and yes some do go a bit to far, the only point i was making was that the police seemed to be getting blamed as in the wrong for following up a report of theft, if they hadnt they would of been critacised by some for not doing their job properly,They are damed if they do and damed if they dont.

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-08, 14:43
Are the council not meant to have grit boxes within certain distances of each other anyway? I can honestly i say i know where 1 grit box is in thurso and there is not even anything in it! Where i used to live there was one but it got taken away years ago! And i think it can get very dangerous up the streets where the council do not go with the gritters!! I have fallen several times! :eek:

I think that lad done a very good deed! Well done to the lad! :Razz

sandyr
20-Dec-08, 22:43
It is no wonder people lose faith in the police, especially the young. Every day you hear about people being arrested, cautioned for the most ridiculous things while violent crime and robbery seem a low priority. Maybe the target culture created by Blair's lot makes them go for the easy option just to keep the figures looking good.

This lad deserves a public commendation not criminalising by some jobsworth!!

****This is not meant as anything personal Brokencross, but I cannot for the life of me understand why people want to 'slag' the Police when they are mandated to investigate all alleged suspected Criminal Acts. I agree with with Sam's assessment, and likely people were happy with this young mans good deeds, but we are only hearing one side of this story...the young man and the Media.
Just recently there was an issue on here where someone wanted to do a story on the Negative Health System in the UK// never once asked for the good side and when some of us did promote the good side, it was negated. And two hours again is the subject of one persons thoughts. Perhaps there was a mix up.... we will never know.....
I have noticed in the past some people are not happy with authority and never will they be....but the alternative.. well, figure it out for yourself........
And from nearly a lifetime of experiences in different parts of the World, the UK has one of the finest Law Enforcement Systems in the World......Excellent but not perfect....are any of us???
******BTW which Blair were you referring to....Tony or Ian???

colmac
20-Dec-08, 23:38
Have a read of this article, similar response to teens trying to perform good deeds.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008542041_kindnessclub20.html