PDA

View Full Version : What in the "L" are they playing at??

brokencross
20-Dec-08, 09:08
Another moan about motorists I am afraid....of the two wheeled variety.

Don't know if it happens up in Orgland, but we have a plague of Schoolboy Scooter Speed Merchants driving on "L" plates.

They swarm here, there and everywhere, main roads, side streets, estate roads and even cycle paths! Nowhere is safe. (NO I don't drive on cycle paths)

Sometimes they swoop alone; at other times there can be a gaggle of SSSM swooping and swarming, I am not sure which is more dangerous.

They only know one speed...full speed, the twist throttle is always at the MAX. the engine screaming, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Their favourite pastime is suicidal tailgating. As you go along the main road in your car at 30-40mph they will suddenly swoop out from the side street, throttle to the max and get right up behind you. They are so blooming close you can't even see the scooter in your mirror. You would think they are standing on the bumper peering in the rear window.

All I can say is heaven help them if I have to stop suddenly.............the next time I would see them is out of the front window as they go flying over the car to go and collect their angel wings. (or their head and helmet coming through the back window)

Please get a life and BACK OFF........that way you may keep your life.

sam
20-Dec-08, 13:09
Going into Thurso one night last week with a mate, a lad came up behind me on the way out of Castletown, he was so close that my mate couldnt see him in the wing mirror either and asked me who i was on about, he must of been about 3 feet away from my back bumper if that, if i had, had to brake for any reason he would of ended up in the back seat of my car, he then overtook me and did exactly the same to the car in front.
Just an accident waiting to happen.

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-08, 14:51
I used to drive a scooter and i was way too scared to get close to any cars because i have heard some bad things about scooter accidents!!

And can i say that a percentage of the "scooter family" On the road probably dont even have their CBT test complete! Yes it costs a wee bit but if u get stopped it costs alot more than ur CBT does!!

mm1ii2aa3
21-Dec-08, 05:02
parents should not buy scooters for their children unless they are very sure their children would be safe riders. Usually, we say learn from the mistakes,but it will be far too late for a scooter user to learn from an accident!:confused

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 19:59
parents should not buy scooters for their children unless they are very sure their children would be safe riders. Usually, we say learn from the mistakes,but it will be far too late for a scooter user to learn from an accident!:confused

But how are we to know if they are going to be "safe" riders until they have been on one. Some parents might think their child is an angel but in real fact when they are out with their mates they could cause havok and be completely immature!

I do understand where u are coming from but my step dad bought me a scooter for my 16th Birthday and 2 weeks later i sat my CBT. I was always very very cautious on my scooter because i have heard of so many accidents and cars not seeing people on bikes.

But how is a parent to know if their child is "mature" enough??? :confused

Tugmistress
21-Dec-08, 20:14
ok time to shoot me down in flames lol i got my kevlar knickers ready! ;)

yes i agree with the CBT in principle, but why such a hefty cost? this alone can put people of doing it (including me! hence i am only on a 50cc on a full car licence).
When i was 16 (a lot of years ago, shut up MIK!) and got my first bike there was non of this CBT lark, you bought a bike, you got on it, you rode, you fell off if unfortunate enough to get it wrong, but believe me, the first time you sit on a bike/scooter/moped you realise that you don't have a metal 'cage' around you and that the hurtling metal cages on the roads (cars/vans/lorries etc) can do some serious damage to your body so you very quickly gain a little self preservation instinct (or i did anyway) and if you follow the theory of 'natural selection' the idiots that tailgate on bikes will soon learn a valuable lesson if they survive.
sorry to be so harsh but even some parents seem to be too soft on kids nowadays, you've got the nanny state, the kids wrapped up in cotton wool from birth that have never climbed a tree 'because it's too dangerous' they have missed out on an important learning episode on life.
I understand your moan brokencross, it's happened to me a few times too, as you say, usually 'L' platers, but being a bike rider i tend to mostly see these kids as they approach there back of my truck and am very aware they are there.

Just as an aside, i personally think everyone should be made to ride a moped/scooter/bike for a year before being allowed behind the wheel of a car, it certainly heightens your awareness of other road users.

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 20:24
You are not wrong there Tugmistress with the price of the CBT. Luckily my step dad paid for it all as part of my "sweet 16th". But yes it is very pricey!

And i also agree with you about children being raised with cotton wool surrounding them and things! I say let them get dirty!! It done me no harm at all going horse riding and running around in the muck heaps! I dont like seeing children clean constantly! Means that they dont get to enjoy themselves!

If kids dont learn to fall...how can they learn to pick themselves up on their own! Then they will have no encouragement to learn how to take care of themselves without mummy or daddy being there to rub their booboo better! :lol:

dragonfly
21-Dec-08, 20:46
my daughter got a moped when she turned 16 in Jan this year (paid for by herself), and we paid for the CBT which I thought was compulsary for insurance, anyways after successfully passing it and the initial thrill of taking off on it whenever she could, the novelty wore off because she became scared of our local SSSM's, as brokencross refers to, as they basically bullied her when she was out on hers.

She was/is a careful scooter driver but these idiots riding around have put her off for life, her bike is now in the for sale section - no point in renewing licence, insurance when she refuses to go out on it again - shame that she's been put off by these little thugs!

BTW, I laughed the other week as one of them was coming full throttle down the hill towards me, on my side of road as he was overtaking parked cars and although I was stopped cos I saw him, he hadn't seen me, well I could see him wet his pants as it dawned on him I was there, how he didn't fall off when he was breaking I don't know, the bike had a fair wobble on it!! retribution :lol::lol:

A9RUNNER
21-Dec-08, 21:17
Having been a scooter rider in the past I honestly think that all car drivers should have to ride one for a reasonable length of time so they can realise what it is like. Try going in and out and about in the dounreay traffic in one. Half asleep idiots driving right on your back wheel and passing you without pulling over onto the other side of the road. Scooshing you with window washers throwing lit fag ends out the window at you etc. The cars drivers need to wake up and look around them as from my perspective they are the real danger not the scooter riders.

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 23:51
i actually got put off riding my scooter too towards the end of having it because of people shouting at me as i drove past and things! To me it was a means of transportation so i would not have to constantly bother my parents to take me places! I could simply get up and go! Simple as that!

But now you see about 6 scooters all cruising round the streets one after the other! Pure pointless and defeats the purpose of the vehicle to me!

I started learning to drive a car last year but after 9 months of lessons i actually stopped because i never liked driving in the day! How weird is that! But anyway...i was alot more cautious looking out for cyclists/motor cyclists because i know that you get the odd person trying to swerve past you as your turn a corner or something! :confused

2little2late
21-Dec-08, 23:56
My wife's hair drier has a more powerful motor than one of these puff chariots. [lol] [lol]

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-08, 23:58
My wife's hair drier has a more powerful motor than one of these puff chariots. [lol] [lol]

My scooter used to sound worse than a hair dryer! Infact i think my hair dryer was louder! But it was still my pride and joy!!! :)

A9RUNNER
24-Dec-08, 22:54
Scooters are great fun to ride. May not be fast but hey who wants a speeding ticket? Not me. If the weather was better I would still have one as my form of transport. But I found it no use for all year travel in the dounreay traffic.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 22:59
Scooters are great fun to ride. May not be fast but hey who wants a speeding ticket? Not me. If the weather was better I would still have one as my form of transport. But I found it no use for all year travel in the dounreay traffic.

That was the problem i seen too...weather! Would drive to work on it and my hands would be frozen in a weird shape! Even with bike gloves on!! :lol:

And helmet hair! [smirk]

A9RUNNER
24-Dec-08, 23:16
And helmet hair! [smirk]
Its not possible for me to suffer from that LOL!!

It was the day about a dozen cars passed me in the snow without pulling out much and then I landed up going over the handlebars when I hit a snowdrift that put me off. If the road had been empty of cars the scooter would of handled the snow ok. It was the maniacs that think it is ok to drive at 60 mph in the blin drift that freaked me out. Its not easy riding with one hand being used as a windscreen wiper on the visor whilst cars do the best they can to put you off the road.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 23:39
Its not possible for me to suffer from that LOL!!

It was the day about a dozen cars passed me in the snow without pulling out much and then I landed up going over the handlebars when I hit a snowdrift that put me off. If the road had been empty of cars the scooter would of handled the snow ok. It was the maniacs that think it is ok to drive at 60 mph in the blin drift that freaked me out. Its not easy riding with one hand being used as a windscreen wiper on the visor whilst cars do the best they can to put you off the road.

Hear hear to that! Some drivers have no consideration for bike riders!

I gave up my scooter...started learning to drive and it wasna really for me! Im too cautious i think! [disgust]

A9RUNNER
27-Dec-08, 19:49
Having been a scooter rider in the past I honestly think that all car drivers should have to ride one for a reasonable length of time so they can realise what it is like. Try going in and out and about in the dounreay traffic in one. Half asleep idiots driving right on your back wheel and passing you without pulling over onto the other side of the road. Scooshing you with window washers throwing lit fag ends out the window at you etc. The cars drivers need to wake up and look around them as from my perspective they are the real danger not the scooter riders.

Apparently! I am ignorant of the highway code could someone inform where I have the rules of the road wrong with this post?

ShelleyCowie
27-Dec-08, 20:24
Apparently! I am ignorant of the highway code could someone inform where I have the rules of the road wrong with this post?

A9RUNNER, i see no ignorance in yer posts! Infact with what you said about car drivers! Not all car drivers have no consideration for the scooter/bike drivers! But i have witnessed ignorange from car drivers first hand!

Vistravi
28-Dec-08, 22:23
And i also agree with you about children being raised with cotton wool surrounding them and things! I say let them get dirty!! It done me no harm at all going horse riding and running around in the muck heaps! I dont like seeing children clean constantly! Means that they dont get to enjoy themselves!

If kids dont learn to fall...how can they learn to pick themselves up on their own! Then they will have no encouragement to learn how to take care of themselves without mummy or daddy being there to rub their booboo better! :lol:

Totally agree here. Kids need to learn how to handle risk themselves as by giving them the opportunity to learn how to manage risks this sets them up for life and becomes a important life skill. Children who never have the chance to acquire this life skill grow up to be reckless, do stupid things that get themselves killed or seriously hurt and completely unaware of the dangers in life. parents are too over protective nowadays and are too fussy bout their kids being clean. Being clean all the time is wrong and bad for your immune system. Kids who aren't allowed to get dirty are not having fun and are not being kids.

ShelleyCowie
28-Dec-08, 22:53
A bit o dirt never killed e pig i say!

No lettin kiddies get dirty is causing more allergies and hayfever!!

No child shud be fully clean! :lol:

Vistravi
28-Dec-08, 23:06
Aye too true:lol:;)