PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cold in Alex...

percy toboggan
19-Dec-08, 20:47
THREE QUID in Tesco...I didn't know whether to snap it up or complain...I mean for goodness sake that's cheap!

Surely one of the best war films ever. Shot in a shimmering black and white with the smouldering Sylvia Syms...has a British actress ever looked lovelier?

I bought a ferw more as extra pressies for folk because the bonus has come in - halved, sadly but still a decent wedge.
films for folk = (cos I know some are interested)

HELLBOY(other .5)
BRICK LANE(d.i.l.)
THE LIVES OF OTHERS (son)
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (7 year old)
NIMS ISLAND (ten year old)
BLACK SNAKE MOAN (me)
WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN (future son-in-law)

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 20:54
THREE QUID in Tesco...I didn't know whether to snap it up or complain...I mean for goodness sake that's cheap!

Surely one of the best war films ever. Shot in a shimmering black and white with the smouldering Sylvia Syms...has a British actress ever looked lovelier?

I bought a ferw more as extra pressies for folk because the bonus has come in - halved, sadly but still a decent wedge.
films for folk = (cos I know some are interested)

HELLBOY(other .5)
BRICK LANE(d.i.l.)
THE LIVES OF OTHERS (son)
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (7 year old)
NIMS ISLAND (ten year old)
BLACK SNAKE MOAN (me)
WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN (future son-in-law)

Can't say it's a film i'm familer with Percy, but a recommendation from you is good enough for me, i'll be picking it up next time i'm in Tesco, i do love a good B&W war movie.

On another note, The Vikings arrived today, it's a sunday afternoon kind of movie so i'm gonna kick back and watch it then :)

Another great new release movie is 'Batman - The Dark Knight', absolutely superb movie and by far the best Batman adaptation yet, Heath Ledger R.I.P is utterly fantastic as the Joker, his acting talents will be fondly remembered and sadly missed.

Melancholy Man
19-Dec-08, 20:55
Never watched a certain lager commercial, Gizmo, I assume.

Sylvia Syms was hot.

wifie
19-Dec-08, 22:39
Never watched a certain lager commercial, Gizmo, I assume.

Sylvia Syms was hot.
Funny I was rememberin the ad when I was readin Percy's post - it is a great film Gizmo and you must have seen the ad!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28

percy toboggan
19-Dec-08, 22:55
Sylvia hot? well, she was ceratinly sweating cobs i the back o'that Ambulance. I was a teenager when I first saw it and she made an impression on me. To look at her now at her advanced age is a lesson in life...relish its visual beauty while it's there because it's fleeting. I'd love to chew the fat with her now over a pint/glass or two ...she's a grand old lady of thespianism and I respect her very much. She still has a glint in her eye and no doubt a myriad of stories to tell.

An old next door neighbour of mine ...Les.. (when I was a kid - he was a lorry drivin' hero of mine actually) was on his National Service and was dragooned into winching the Ambulance up that big hill in the movie with about forty of his comrades.

I intend to get the 'Dark Knight' eventually but it'll have to join the list to which 'Little Children' has just been mentally added. I quite enjoyed 'Batman Begins' which was a departure for me.
Apropo of the 'Vikings'.... Les once asked me to go with him on a run to Nottingham in his flatbed ten-ton truck c. '63 with a 'VIKING GALLEON' roped on the back (no sheet:for all to see) what a ride that was - brilliant...it was on a promotional tour of the country.
Enjoy your sunday afternoon Gizmo.

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 23:04
Funny I was rememberin the ad when I was readin Percy's post - it is a great film Gizmo and you must have seen the ad!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28

Ahhhh..that advert, yeah i remember it, i hope Tesco have this movie in stock, quite looking forward to seeing it now:)

TBH
19-Dec-08, 23:10
Sylvia hot? well, she was ceratinly sweating cobs i the back o'that Ambulance. I was a teenager when I first saw it and she made an impression on me. To look at her now at her advanced age is a lesson in life...relish its visual beauty while it's there because it's fleeting. I'd love to chew the fat with her now over a pint/glass or two ...she's a grand old lady of thespianism and I respect her very much. She still has a glint in her eye and no doubt a myriad of stories to tell.
True Percy, very true, just look at Honor Blackman, Ursula undress Andress, Britt Ekland et al.

wifie
19-Dec-08, 23:22
What are you lot like? What is the purpose in nature then of men gettin more handsome as they get older? [lol]

percy toboggan
19-Dec-08, 23:30
maybe..but inside they're falling to bits.

wifie
19-Dec-08, 23:31
Aha so it is to get women to still be attracted to them but look after them in their dotage! :confused

Melancholy Man
19-Dec-08, 23:32
Factoid: Harry Andrews, who played Pugh, also voiced General Woundwort in Watership Down.

Come back, they're only dogs, they're harmless!

TBH
19-Dec-08, 23:48
Aha so it is to get women to still be attracted to them but look after them in their dotage! :confusedIt's because men are still capable of creating life after most women have past their sell by date.:D

wifie
19-Dec-08, 23:51
it's because men are still capable of creating life after most women have past their sell by date.:d

~ ~ ~ :~( ~ ~ ~

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 23:53
It's because men are still capable of creating life after most women have past their sell by date.:D

Harsh...true...but harsh :lol:

wifie
19-Dec-08, 23:55
harsh...true...but harsh :lol:

TBH
19-Dec-08, 23:57
Well Wifie, just look at Anthony Quinn, 14 children all told with one apparently concieved when he was in his seventies.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 00:03
Well Wifie, just look at Anthony Quinn, 14 children all told with one apparently concieved when he was in his seventies.

Is OK, I admit it, I am just a dried oot owld husk! :~( Will joost tighten my head square and carry on wi my crochet! :~(

Melancholy Man
20-Dec-08, 00:10
Mmmm... Helen Mirren.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 00:11
mmmm... Helen mirren.

TBH
20-Dec-08, 00:14
Mmmm... Helen Mirren.You have seen Caligula I take it.[lol]

ywindythesecond
20-Dec-08, 00:23
Just one word -Eartha Kitt!

TBH
20-Dec-08, 00:26
Just one word -Eartha Kitt!That would be two words then Ywindy.:eek:

percy toboggan
20-Dec-08, 00:36
Eartha Kitt scared the hell out of me c.1970 so God knows what she's like now !
She wanted an 'old fashioned millionaire' - she'd be lucky I thought.

TBH
20-Dec-08, 00:41
Eartha Kitt scared the hell out of me c.1970 so God knows what she's like now !
She wanted an 'old fashioned millionaire' - she'd be lucky I thought.I don't think she was scary:
http://www.federationofamericanmusicianssingersandperform ingartists.org/Eartha%20Kitt.jpg

I was more a Britt Ekland man until I found out they used a body double for and dubbed her voice in the Wickerman.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 00:42
I don't think she was scary:
http://www.federationofamericanmusicianssingersandperform ingartists.org/Eartha%20Kitt.jpg

I was more a Britt Ekland man until I found out they used a body double for and dubbed her voice in the Wickerman.

Never did they? :eek:
LOL percy I think Eartha makes a fabulous rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound!
Hey TBH what a pretty pic of her!

TBH
20-Dec-08, 00:50
Never did they? :eek:
LOL percy I think Eartha makes a fabulous rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound!
Hey TBH what a pretty pic of her!Oh yes, they used a stunt-bum as they thought her bum was too big.[disgust][lol] They also dubbed her singing to disguise her accent.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 00:53
Oh yes, they used a stunt-bum as they thought her bum was too big. They also dubbed her singing to disguise her accent.
Hahaha! Stunt-bum - is that cos she already had a bum double? Or is that double bum? :confused [lol]

TBH
20-Dec-08, 01:02
Hahaha! Stunt-bum - is that cos she already had a bum double? Or is that double bum? She had the double bum to start with, then she got the bum double which is a bit of a contradiction as, if it was a double of her bum they wouldn't have needed a double in the first place.:confused:eek:[lol]

wifie
20-Dec-08, 01:04
She had the double bum to start with, then she got the bum double which is a bit of a contradiction as, if it was a double of her bum they wouldn't have needed a double in the first place.:confused:eek:

Thanks for clearing that up TBH! :confused [lol]

TBH
20-Dec-08, 01:09
Thanks for clearing that up TBH! :confused [lol]She wasn't very happy as she thought her bum was just the job and couldn't understand why a Scots lass singing with a Swedish accent would sound strange in the final release.
Mind you, Sean Connery played an Egyptian with a Scottish accent in the Highlander movie?:confused

wifie
20-Dec-08, 01:10
She wasn't very happy as she thought her bum was just the job and couldn't understand why a Scots lass singing with a Swedish accent would sound strange in the final release.
Mind you, Sean Connery played an Egyptian with a Scottish accent in the Highlander movie?:confused
Delightful owld Sean sounds the same in every movie! [lol]

TBH
20-Dec-08, 01:12
Delightful owld Sean sounds the same in every movie! [lol]
He shertanly does.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 01:16
He shertanly does.
Yer a shight for shore eyes TBH! [lol]

TBH
20-Dec-08, 01:19
Yer a shight for shore eyes TBH! [lol]Shurely Shome Mishtake.:D

Aaldtimer
20-Dec-08, 04:01
Eartha Kitt has said "There was many men always wanted to lay me down, but never any to give me a hand up". :confused
According to the late George Saunders..."The sexiest woman on the planet!"
I tend to agree. ;)

percy toboggan
21-Dec-08, 14:22
Just realised I referred to a Viking 'galleon' which makes no maritime sense at all...it was of course a 'longboat'