PDA

View Full Version : Blowing a hooley!

neepnipper
19-Dec-08, 14:09
Didn't think this weather was meant to come in 'til later, how bad will it be, Tugs, are you around for an update?:(

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 15:09
Aye it's blowin' hard here in Wick, i've just been out and put rocks on anything that's not bolted down, it's certainly not T-shirt weather that's for sure.

dragonfly
19-Dec-08, 15:14
same here in Thurso, my patio table just flew past the window :eek::eek:

floyed
19-Dec-08, 15:16
I just walked up to new look got soaked, and nearly blown in to the road.

Not weather for going out was going to deliver xmas pressies today, but will leave it now i think:D

hotrod4
19-Dec-08, 15:50
Aye it's blowin' hard here in Wick, i've just been out and put rocks on anything that's not bolted down, it's certainly not T-shirt weather that's for sure.
Ah come on Gizmo us Weekers are made of sterner stuff, we always walk around in T-shirts when its windy!!!!! Its the Thurso crowd that wear ganzies when the sun shines!!!!![lol]

canuck
19-Dec-08, 16:12
Doing a hooley here in Edinburgh as well. The rain/ice pellets are almost horizontal.

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 16:15
Ah come on Gizmo us Weekers are made of sterner stuff, we always walk around in T-shirts when its windy!!!!! Its the Thurso crowd that wear ganzies when the sun shines!!!!![lol]

Och aye, maybe in younger years gone by, i passed a couple of young lads the other day cutting about in t-shirts when it was freezin and windy, while me and the missus were wrapped up like Eskimos, when we then met a friend in Woolies she asked if we were going snowboarding :lol:

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 16:46
Didn't think this weather was meant to come in 'til later, how bad will it be, Tugs, are you around for an update?:(

lovely in't it ;)

i did say it would build from around lunch time today lol, the thing that has me scratching my head is the direction, i was expecting SW veering to W not this SSE and SE lark! i can only assume the centre of the low is moving across a bit slower than predicted. the worst of it will still be around the midnight mark from around 9pm ish i think :roll: my guess is exposed areas a little further west than thurso will get gusts of 80+mph! thurso also maybe up to 80mph and the east coast around the 70mph mark.
mad friday revellers are going to get soaked, frozen and blown around a bit!

wifie
19-Dec-08, 16:56
Heck Tugs I dinna know where the wind is comin from but I sure know where it is goin! Just as Canuck has the rain here is like ice! Emm, dare I ask the forecast for St Andrews tomorrow? ;) :confused

Kodiak
19-Dec-08, 17:04
Emm, dare I ask the forecast for St Andrews tomorrow? ;) :confused

Wifie, You don't say you are going out for a Round of Golf, a bit keen arn't you. :D

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 17:09
Heck Tugs I dinna know where the wind is comin from but I sure know where it is goin! Just as Canuck has the rain here is like ice! Emm, dare I ask the forecast for St Andrews tomorrow? ;) :confused

Fairly dry, wind down to less than 20mph by 10am - hope it happens this time for you lmao

hotrod4
19-Dec-08, 17:15
Och aye, maybe in younger years gone by, i passed a couple of young lads the other day cutting about in t-shirts when it was freezin and windy, while me and the missus were wrapped up like Eskimos, when we then met a friend in Woolies she asked if we were going snowboarding :lol:
I never feel it if I have some "Russian Central Heating" then no weather bothers me!!!!:lol:
Except for the fact that the wind makes me "unsteady on myfeet" and I seem to fall down alot!![lol]

highlander
19-Dec-08, 17:32
A vet told me once they dont need to sell flea dog powder in caithness, as they dont have a hope in hell of holding on. lol
One thing for sure, everyone will be walking around with designer hair styles in this wind, hecks did you know they even pay a fortune in the citys to get that look.! lol

Sapphire2803
19-Dec-08, 17:38
I never feel it if I have some "Russian Central Heating" then no weather bothers me!!!!:lol:
Except for the fact that the wind makes me "unsteady on myfeet" and I seem to fall down alot!![lol]

My central heating hails from Bermuda, but it seems to work the same way. :lol:

wifie
19-Dec-08, 19:27
Fairly dry, wind down to less than 20mph by 10am - hope it happens this time for you lmao
Thanks Tugs! [lol]

wifie
19-Dec-08, 19:30
Wifie, You don't say you are going out for a Round of Golf, a bit keen arn't you. :D
LOL! You are so close to the mark there Kodiak! Seems the only time OH has ever taken me out to play golf it has been horrendous weather - even a thunder storm once! :eek: Do you think he was tryin to put me off? [lol]

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 20:02
Ok now it's officially a hooley lol, just topped 70mph a couple of minutes ago.

stay safe folks i hope your wheelie bns and cats are tied down lol

golach
19-Dec-08, 20:20
Ok now it's officially a hooley lol, just topped 70mph a couple of minutes ago.

stay safe folks i hope your wheelie bns and cats are tied down lol
You told them Tugs earlier, with your last warning, if they don't heed you, hell mend them

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=63765

pat
19-Dec-08, 20:26
yes it is an absolute hoolie over here on Lewis, has been rising since 8am - waiting for my roof to lift off.
I'm definitely not going anywhere in this, hope it slows down a bit before reaching you in Caithness

The bay in front of house is pure white and the biggest waves I have seen there.

Green_not_greed
19-Dec-08, 20:39
Here near Reay its pretty rough with the gusts. I just saw three heavy wooden chairs and a heavy wooden table blown across and off our decking.

Bin now taken back in - and put the cat out.

GNG

dragonfly
19-Dec-08, 20:41
Did I just see the lights dipping??? Front door sounds like its about to become my kitchen door!

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 20:58
just had 2 big dips in power here, fingers crossed it stays on!

unicorn
19-Dec-08, 20:59
Lights dipping lots in Springpark.............

Lavenderblue2
19-Dec-08, 21:13
It is really bad up here on the Hill o' Forss - our roof tiles keep doing a Mexican Wave.

We don't have a Sky signal either - has anyone else lost theirs?.

As for the fleas blowing off the dog Highlander - I don't think I'd have a dog if she went out there just now.

Elenna
19-Dec-08, 21:23
Our collie asked to go out about half and hour ago, then took a look when I opened the door and turned round and headed back to the sitting room! I think he's decided to keep his legs crossed til he cant wait any longer... :lol:

Welcomefamily
19-Dec-08, 23:03
Its certainly getting rough now,............lights flickering a lot.

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 23:44
85.4mph highest gust so far!

Foxy
19-Dec-08, 23:46
It's really bad in Bower just now. The cover off the silage pit is on it's way to Seater tip on it's own :lol:, but it has left the tyres that were holding it down all over the road and it's way to dangerous to go out and retrieve them. :eek:

mums angels
19-Dec-08, 23:52
Nasty here now , lost one tile for sure :(

Is Tugs about to tell us when its going to settle down a tiny bit?

Thanks for the warning Tugs i did get the rabbit in and the wheeile bins down the side this afternoon thanks to yourself

mums angels
19-Dec-08, 23:53
85.4mph highest gust so far!

EEK does that mean its to get worse ????

Tugmistress
19-Dec-08, 23:54
EEK does that mean its to get worse ????

i think the worst of it will be around midnight to 1am then it'll decrease :D

lynne duncan
19-Dec-08, 23:55
our lights were flickering a while ago, but it doesn't seem that bad outside was out with the doggies just now and it was a wee bit breezy

teenybash
19-Dec-08, 23:58
It's kinda rough out here.........lots of thumps and the wind is roaring with a fury...............don't think I'll even think about going to bed till it calms.......hopefully soon......

mums angels
19-Dec-08, 23:59
i think the worst of it will be around midnight to 1am then it'll decrease :D

Thank you Tugs ...is it going to hit over 90 do you think , might just vacate for the night if it does , baby not settling with all the noise , other kids complaining aswell (apart from one whos sound..lol ) ... oh the joys :lol:

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-08, 00:00
I dinna want to put my cat oot in that i tell ya! But if i keep him in then i will wake up with him lying on my head or something! Either that or he will claw my carpet up! :confused

And my shed door seems to be buckling! :( Last time we had bad weather like this the fence fell down and it took Pentland housing MONTHS to fix it! Better no happen again!

Tugmistress
20-Dec-08, 00:01
No I don't think so Mums, just sat looking at my graph and if the highest gust isn't broken again within the next ten to fifteen minutes we could well have seen the worst of it already, i'll keep you updated :D

unicorn
20-Dec-08, 00:08
It's nights like this that I am glad of my insurance :eek:

mums angels
20-Dec-08, 00:13
Well Lidl has lost there sign again ( had another look and seems that only one side has gone , i may be wrong) and the esso station has something hanging from the roof over the pumps ..

craggy island
20-Dec-08, 00:21
I think my recycling bins away! Dunnet may be experiencing fling cans and boxes at the moment.
Patio doors are very flexible, but a brave little doggie managed to nip out for a few minutes.:)

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-08, 00:23
I only dont mind weather like this when am tucked up watchin a movie! But not tonight...im chocked with the cold so am no in a good mood with myself! 6 days before xmas i get ill!!!

And lets just say its defo Mad Friday..the folk that are oot for it are most definetely MAD!

And "unicorn" you was right i have no had any power drops since you took your candles oot! :lol:

But i did have somethin hit my window! Nearly jumped behind the couch i got such a fright! Am worse than e kiddies!! :lol:

Tugmistress
20-Dec-08, 00:34
May i suggest that if you have ANYTHING that moves you brave the wind and go check it! i just went out to check on the goat and saw my truck had been pushed by the wind about 30ft down the lane!
seems to be the worst of it now folks, just time for it to blow itself out before the next round on sunday lol

Goldie
20-Dec-08, 00:40
We are at the corner of Castletown - Electricity off for about 1 hour and the guys did good for getting us back on - The way it's blowing here I may end up seeing the Wizard of Oz - I have visions of the whole house spinning out of control above Caithness!! :confused We are detached and the wind is catching the house at two sides - shaking the windows, floors and roof!! Help!!! Mad Friday in Thurso? I think it's mad all over at the moment.

Hope you all stay safe and don't suffer any damage.

Thanks for all the updates Tugmistress, you are a gem ;)

Cheers

mums angels
20-Dec-08, 00:40
Just ran to check my car after that :lol: thankfully still there just trying to remember if i left it in gear with handbrake on!!

Thanks for the update Tugs i do hope your right and thats the worst for tonight i'm hoping for some sleep tonight :) Surley Sunday can't be as bad as this can it ?

Tugmistress
20-Dec-08, 00:42
Just ran to check my car after that :lol: thankfully still there just trying to remember if i left it in gear with handbrake on!!

Thanks for the update Tugs i do hope your right and thats the worst for tonight i'm hoping for some sleep tonight :) Surley Sunday can't be as bad as this can it ?

no sunday not quite as bad as this, maybe 60mph ish

watch for a new thread from me :confused

mums angels
20-Dec-08, 00:54
few more tiles hit the ground :(

topotheuk
20-Dec-08, 01:00
I lost some slates off my stable roof and had to put my poor horses back out in the field. Don't think I'll sleep tonight for worrying about them but me thinks they are safer out than getting slates falling on their heads.
Thanks Tuggs we prepared as much as we could with your fab forecasts. Don't know what we'd do without them xx