PDA

View Full Version : The Inver / The Bay Owl, Dunbeath

ber219
19-Dec-08, 11:54
Went in here the other week for a meal for my hubby's birthday as it has been taken over, all I have to say is wow, it was absolutely fantastic, it has been all redecorated with new chairs and tables and the food is all home cooked and out of this world. They are using local meats. We all had something different for starter, mum had home made traditional cockaleekie, hubby had fresh melon and prawns and I had home made pate with homemade oatcakes and chutney, then main course, my dad had a mixed grill, I had lasagne and mum and hubby had roast turkey and all the trimmings, there was non of that prepacked turkey, this was definately the real thing and the taste was amazing, really does pay to by local food. It wasn't expensive either, the only thing expensive were the drinks which I suppose are now a day's but we did put a fair few down us, so for 4 of us having three courses and with a fair fill of drink it came to £80 which I do not consider to be expensive at all.

They will be changing the name in January to the Bay Owl and the new people that have it are lovely and the food cannot come any highly recommended, they even provide take out too so if you are passing and it's open and fancy a snack, pop in, you will not be diappointed.

Mother Bear
19-Dec-08, 20:01
Sounds really inviting! Will definitely be giving it a try in the New Year. Thank you.

daviddd
19-Dec-08, 21:07
I've been passing that place for 25 years but never been in - shame on me! It always seemed a bit of a seedy place to me, but maybe you can't judge a book by the cover....

redilak
10-Jan-09, 14:57
I've read with interest your post regarding the above restaurant.

Were you ever in the Inver in the past? The reason i am asking is because i am the previous owner.

When we owned it all our meals were made using local produce and were freshly prepared on the premises.

Can you tell me what your problem was with the Inver before? I am welcome critisism/compliments.

sjr014
10-Jan-09, 18:31
Well sounds good 2 me!

I had been in before at a wake following a funeral and they hadn't made enough soup so they just added kettles of water! Nor had they made enough sandwiches so the lady went round and took of the tables fair enough but she even took from my plate! That put me off!

catran
10-Jan-09, 20:14
Never mind redilac it was always good at the Inver and we have not been there for some considerable time.

Been there on several occassions and it was always good so don't take any heed. Been there when Murdo had it as well and it was good then too and there was always plenty fresh food. Cant think where you get fresh melons up here???????iHowever, maybe the new owners grow them in their greenhouse.:lol:

Venture
11-Jan-09, 01:05

Were you ever in the Inver in the past? The reason i am asking is because i am the previous owner.

When we owned it all our meals were made using local produce and were freshly prepared on the premises.

Can you tell me what your problem was with the Inver before? I am welcome critisism/compliments.

Our family visited your restaurant a number of times and each time the food and the service were excellent. Good home cooking freshly prepared. I can even remember one time you made banana fritters as a special request for my son. They were delicious. Very friendly atmosphere and value for money. Sorry to hear you're not running the business anymore.:(

redilak
11-Jan-09, 13:19
Never mind redilac it was always good at the Inver and we have not been there for some considerable time.

Been there on several occassions and it was always good so don't take any heed. Been there when Murdo had it as well and it was good then too and there was always plenty fresh food. Cant think where you get fresh melons up here???????iHowever, maybe the new owners grow them in their greenhouse.lol

Catran,

Fresh melons? You'll be lucky if you get fresh apples in Caithness :D

janemac
11-Jan-09, 21:37
Just got back from a meal at the Inver.
Food off the specials board was lovely, great value and the place warm and inviting.
Would deffo reccommend it! :lol:

Kimberley_Masson
12-Jan-09, 17:50
I recently spent a fantastic year and a half living in Caithness while I carried out some social research. I have not been to Dunbeath since the Inver was taken over by the new owners.

I must say, though, that when Redilak owned the Inver I spent much time with her there. I made lifelong friendships and was made part of an amazing family. I have beautiful memories of Caithness, and many fun ones from the Inver. Good luck to the new owners and very well done Redilak.

daviddd
12-Jan-09, 22:12

I haven't ever been in the Inver as I said above Redilac, so don't have a problem. In fact I have never even met anyone that had eaten in there before this thread so couldn't say what the food etc. was like. My comment was an honest one in that whilst 'seedy' maybe wasn't the right word to choose, I wasn't ever inspired to drop in given that the place didn't look particularly welcoming to me, but possibly I'm a bit of a fusspot! On top of that when travelling home to Thurso I am usually more intent on just getting home given that it was only another half-hour up the road.

I wasn't even aware that the Inver used to serve food - I had never seen an advert to that end, however now that I have seen some good comments about the food we may come and try for ourselves. I wish the new owners the very best of luck with their venture! The potential passing trade from end-to-enders could be exploited to good ends I feel also.

opel
03-Feb-09, 11:23

-----

Sorry redilac,
but i must say before this restaurant was taken over by the new couple, the food served was not the best at all!
we travelled from thurso on 2 occasions to eat there and to be honest the 2nd time around we were giving it a last chance, and after that i must say we did not return! the food was in no way fresh, i remember having the lasagagne and to say that it was burnt around the edging and rock hard was an understatement!!

We visited the bay owl 2 weekends ago on route back from inverness after reading this thread! and what a difference!
the new decoration and tabling have made a huge difference compared to the canteen style that was there previously! the gentleman that owns it was very very polite and welcoming! and most inportantly the food was fantastic! we had all different things from the menu, my children had no complaints and cleared there plates which i cant even get them to do at home! my husband had the fish, now we normally eat at helmsdale because the fish there we thought was unbeatable,,, Not now! the Bay Owl beats it hands down!
And we will be going back at the soonest oppertunity! the price for a 3 course meal for 2 adults and 2 kids was great also!

so anyone passing by or looking to go out for a meal, give this place a shot, u will definately NOT regret it!

dirdyweeker
03-Feb-09, 14:56
Do we know the hours for food service? Would hate to arrive and find I was too late.

janemac
03-Feb-09, 15:58
I know they are open every day apart from Tuesday...
Not sure of actual opening times.

daviddd
03-Feb-09, 16:53
01593 731356 is the restaurant / pub number.

janemac
06-Feb-09, 16:12
www.thebayowl.net

Check out their website. :)

Mother Bear
15-Feb-09, 10:01
No longer the 'Inver at Dunbeath' so going to give it it's own thread! Went last night for the 'Valentines Special', and it really was. Agree with previous postings about the new layout, decor, tables, chairs etc , all very nice. Food was excellent too, couldn't fault it at all. The medallions of beef fillet were 'melt in your mouth'
Friendly staff, very attentive without going over board. And as a speical touch, each lady was given a red rose! Will definitley be going back........and being only 5 mins from me is another bonus!

Racoon
15-Feb-09, 15:09
Couldn`t agree more with ` Mother Bear` I also ate there last night and couldn`t fault the service, atmosphere decor and the food which was excellent ,nice choice very well cooked and well presented. I will definately be eating there again soon. We needed something like this in the area. Well done to the new owners I wish you well.

timandpaula
22-Feb-09, 15:02

hi redilak
speedy here!
ive been reading with interest the comments over 'the bay owl'.
yep i have been told the meals are as good as when you had the establishment. but with being one of your 'old' regulars the crack has gone!!. this place use to be a great meeting place for the older villagers.
we had quiz nights (gone!) karaoke (gone!) treasure hunts (gone!).
WHAT NEXT! - THE PUBLIC BAR?.
p.s.
before the critics start.
this is NOT timandpaula its speedy!!
i havn't got a p.c.

Lindsay
01-Mar-09, 20:20
Have had a meal there twice and its lovely, good luck to the new people

poppett
05-Apr-09, 17:20
Had a late lunch at the Bay Owl today and it was delicious. I had a prawn starter, roast pork and trimmings followed by raspberry roulade. OH is a steak pie lover and he had this with chips and veg. Only complaint was too many chips! We were seated beside a couple who had come from near Helmsdale and they obviously knew the owners and introduced us. All very friendly, and the waitress, Laura, although just new at the job was very attentive and when she came back to enquire if the meals were ok she picked a moment when our mouths weren`t full so we could answer.

Will definately go back, but have been advised to book if travelling a distance so not to be disappointed.

Main menu has a large selection of meals and snacks, something to suit everyone and the Sunday lunch blackboard had three choices for each course, large protions and very well priced.

Excellent service, and the toilet was lovely and clean with nice soap and paper towels.

buddyrich
11-Apr-09, 00:00
Is jock shoot still drinking in the invers?

A real worthy, full of good crack.