PDA

View Full Version : X Factor - Hallelujah Cover

bigbenjokazooie
19-Dec-08, 00:42
personally the winner that has released this song has murdered Leonard Cohens version and Jeff Buckleys cover...

if your gona cover a song...on a grand scale as this is...do it well...jeeeeeeez :mad:

best cover iv heard of it...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1SPnjDJTkIM

guitarzan
19-Dec-08, 08:17
granted this is a good version but in my opinion, not as good as jeff buckleys.

this song is all about emotion and i'm just not feeling it in the same way you get from buckleys version

you have to gauge (is that the correct use of the word kev?! ;)) this song by the number of hairs that stand up on the back of your neck...

K dragon
19-Dec-08, 10:07
jeff buckley covered it so well.

hauntingly beautiful.

leona lewis's cover of run is also terrible.

loganbiffy
19-Dec-08, 10:15
Jeff Buckley was an amazing vocalist, sends shivers down my spine, he was also a rather good guitarist.

Kenneth
19-Dec-08, 14:00
agree with every point made so far! why cant singers just sing instead of stretching out every syllable liiIIiiIIiiiiIIIGGGGGHHHhHHHhhhhhHHhhttttttttttttt ttttt UUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuUUUU!!! !!pppppppppppppppppppPPPP! light up! is if yoooooooUUUUUUUUUUUUUU blehhhhh rubbish

and jeff buckleys version is just the best, alexandra's version och its just not very good...disappointed when i heard it

hotrod4
19-Dec-08, 14:15
Jeff Buckleys has a "haunting" feel about it which gives it presence,Alexandras doesnt have the same feel to it. Dont like Cohens original I am afraid but that Linky for youtube was good, I checked out some of his other stuff and was impressed.

mccaugm
19-Dec-08, 17:15
Jeff Buckleys version I have not heard but I guarantee it will be better than Alexandra whatever her name is. I hereby disassociate myself from anything that is connected to XFactor...cannot stick the programme...wish it was off air permenantly. All that fawning, crying and saying things like "I am doing this for my puppy that had a hairball in 92"...tedium pon tedium.

guitarzan
19-Dec-08, 17:19
Hear, hear mccaugm...

I suggest you look up Jeff Buckley's version on YouTube, you won't regret it.

Invisible
19-Dec-08, 19:07
Just terrible

wifie
19-Dec-08, 19:59
Jeff Buckley's version is amazing - beautiful song! Not keen on the Leonard Cohen version although it is his song and he is a talented song writer - no doubt about that! I also hate the X Factor rubbish! So much hype and nonsense! Do not like the strangled version by Alexandra thing or her try at "Run" which is another fabulous song mangled and strangled! [lol]

TBH
19-Dec-08, 21:45
What a fantastic rendition of a most beautiful song, well done Alexandra Burke.

WeeBurd
20-Dec-08, 00:27
Am I alone in liking John Cale's version, accompanied by piano? Very simple, and very beautiful.

bigbenjokazooie
20-Dec-08, 01:41
Jeff Buckleys has a "haunting" feel about it which gives it presence,Alexandras doesnt have the same feel to it. Dont like Cohens original I am afraid but that Linky for youtube was good, I checked out some of his other stuff and was impressed.

yeh myles kennedy is one of the best singers out their today in my opinion...hes been around for quite a while aswell...

if your looking up any of his stuff...chekout the mayfield four, mainly the song summergirl and his first band citizen kane...and of course his current band alter bridge, enjoy :D

TBH
20-Dec-08, 01:54
yeh myles kennedy is one of the best singers out their today in my opinion...hes been around for quite a while aswell...

if your looking up any of his stuff...chekout the mayfield four, mainly the song summergirl and his first band citizen kane...and of course his current band alter bridge, enjoy :DHe's a great artist but he absolutely murdered hallelujah.

wifie
20-Dec-08, 02:20
Am I alone in liking John Cale's version, accompanied by piano? Very simple, and very beautiful.
That version is lovely Weeburd - I think it is best in a simplistic mode! The version I found involves a fiddle and a cello too! Lovely! I like Rufus Wainwright doin it too but his is faster in comparison now that I am comparing lol!

Blast!
20-Dec-08, 02:28
That Myles Kennedy version wasn't great. It's a poor cover of a cover. Could be replicated 1,000 times by much better vocalists. Buckley's version is good. It's better than the original, though that's not surprising as it was so bloody awful.

Kenneth
21-Dec-08, 13:34
Quite like Rufus Wainwright's version 'n all!

butterfly
04-Jan-09, 17:57
i liked alexandras version but when i listened to jeff buckleys version i must say it is much more soulful and the acoustics are real good.he does sing it with more feeling.lovely song

~~Tides~~
08-Jan-09, 21:00
Quite liked the following synopsis of the x-factor final:

...who then tried to win over the nation with a stirring cover of the Leonard Cohen song Halleluiah, which has now been ruined for ever, as a song destined to be played at thick people's funerals...

Also his comments on her singing disbelievingly along side beyonce, managing to look like a woman having a breakdown imagining she was singing alongside beyonce, were funny, as were also the ones about the 'musical version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest' when all the crap contestants from the beginning were wheeled out.

Chobbersjnr
08-Jan-09, 22:16
Love Jeff Buckley's stuff, Grace there's a track

I'm gonna have to be the odd one out here as I absolutely can't stand the song regardless of who sings it. Meh Didn't he write Suzanne as well?? or was that Cat Stevens??

however can't take the song & if he wrote Suzanne as well I'd be 1st in the line with a gun;)

Hallelujah indeed. BAH!!

celtic 302
12-Jan-09, 01:25
As I think a couple of others have said, the best version is definitely John Cale's. The "simple" arrangement, with just his voice and piano is superb.