PDA

View Full Version : Singapore

scotsboy
18-Dec-08, 13:40
Just back from 2 weeks in Indonesia and Singapore. One of my last days was sepnt having a refreshment in the Sportsman's Bar on Orchard Road, Singapore, and I was having a chat with a fellow Scotsman. It transpired that he had lived most of his life in Australia.........but was born in Wick..........small World..........by the way I was in the bar with another lad from Thurso.

Flyermonkey
18-Dec-08, 15:29
That's funny... I know the Sportsman in Singapore well - there are a lot of expats in there, and quite a few from up here in the Highlands. Great pub, even if it is odd walking into a bar that could be in Wick or Thurso but is half way round the world. It's part owned by Donald Findlay QC who makes regular appearances (sometimes to run the quiz night).

Did you venture across to Orchard Towers? Now there's a place that certainly couldn't be in Wick or Thurso.... ;)

scotsboy
18-Dec-08, 15:37
Yeah been in the Sportsmans a few times..........the business in Orchard Towers is not required in Caithness;)

Fran
19-Dec-08, 01:07
You've brought back memories to me as i used to live near Orchard road and the market along the street was great. We used to go to Tangs restaurant every sunday, and you could order a made to measure suit in orchard road and it would be ready next day. I expect it has all changed now. oh happy days!

changilass
19-Dec-08, 01:10
Tiger beer on tap - heaven

bekisman
19-Dec-08, 10:30
Singapore? loved the place; spent three years there. like Fran used to go to CK Tangs, air-conditioning was great.. shopping in Buket Timah.. Best Posting ever. Lived in Hau Guan Avenue, just found it on Google Earth, our house is still there!..
It was great that although the Island was made up of Malaysians, Europeans, Chinese & Indians, there was very litte trouble; 'most' folk lived together happily - an idea that could be borne in mind in other places!

Fran
20-Dec-08, 03:37
Bekisman, I think there was no trouble in singapore because they would be whipped in the square, they should do that here. Yes, it was a great life, we lived in sherwood road in tanglin and near orchard road.

ar1ling
20-Dec-08, 04:11
you all make me like to travel to Singapore right now. everyone who has been singapore always keeps telling me so much nice things about it, i must start saving now and travel there soon,:D:)

brokencross
20-Dec-08, 07:56
From 1970 onwards I visited Singers many time while in the Merchant Navy.

I was lucky enough to do numerous drydockings there and stayed in first class hotels right in the centre of the city for weeks on end. We were on expenses as well. With working a variable watch system I was able to do the full tourist bit while "working". Visited the Tiger Gardens, Sentosa, Raffles, all the expensive shopping malls and also the various street markets. Even went to Bugis Street and was amazed by the Kai Tais.

On my "honeymoon trip" I joined and left my ship in Singapore so my wife and I had a great time.

It certainly has changed from 1970 that is for sure!!

MadPict
20-Dec-08, 12:22
Singapore is a fine city...

No Smoking - Fine S$1000
No Eating or Drinking - Fine S$500
No Spitting - Fine S$1000
No Chewing Gum - Fine S$1000
No Durian Fruit - no fine!

And for all the fines and rules, I'd go back there tomorrow. A clean and friendly place. We've visited many large cities around the world but none that felt as 'safe' as Singapore. We hope to return soon...

brokencross
20-Dec-08, 13:53
Singapore is a fine city...

Durian Fruit ...

Phew pongy

changilass
20-Dec-08, 14:59
It tastes worse than it smells

MadPict
20-Dec-08, 16:53
I had heard tales of the Durian from my OH (she was born in SG and spent her early years there) so I had to try some...

One evening sat in the hotel bar I felt a bit peckish and as we hadn't eaten dessert (we'd been to Lau Pau Sat market for a slap up meal for S$5 - highly recommended) I noticed they had a Durian fruit cheesecake type dessert in the sweet counter.
OK, not straight out of the 'tin' Durian but as someone once said, "Small steps"...

The taste was of slightly sour custard - not unpleasant and I could see it would be an aquired taste. OH had a taste and almost threw up! So, it was all down to me and a large Tiger beer!!!

Problem is, once you've eaten it, I think you can then smell it from a mile away. A couple of days before, we were in the Carrefour supermarket near the hotel for fruit and other snacks and I didn't smell the Durian - they had them on display, as I remember having a look at this 'devil' fruit.
We went back to the same place and as soon as I walked in the smell hit me - all the way down the escalator to the fresh veg market the putrid smell of Durian assaulted my nostrils.

One fruit I did develop a taste for was Dragon fruit - I was advised to eat it with a sprinkling of salt to bring out the flavour. OH found them in Tescos here for £2.50 each!!!

brokencross
20-Dec-08, 17:05
Singapore itself has a "smell" not unpleasant but distinct.

We used to Wine and Dine or should I say Tiger and Dine at the Satay Club and Newton Circus. If we we being "posh" and wanted to eat inside I think the restaurant was called the Tivoli Garden and I think it was on Orchard Road. Used to have a drink or two in the Cellar Bar where you were guaranteed to meet someone you knew from another ship.

divanp75
20-Dec-08, 17:25
one thing I miss was drinking coke out of a plastic bag with a straw.

Diane

jock leith
20-Dec-08, 21:41
I also love Singapore,the "evening musical fountain show" on Sentosa Island is really breathtaking.The night zoo is also fantastic.The only thing to remember if anyone is planing a visit,is to make sure that you don't book during the monsoon season.Wonderful place,that I will always return to on my way back to "Wick for holidays etc

Regards JL