PDA

View Full Version : Where have all my birds gone?

skinnydog
18-Dec-08, 10:42
In the summer I had loads of birds, in fact so many that they were going through 6 fat balls in 24 hours.

I have a huge buffet on offer for them, peanuts, seed and fat balls and they seem to have just upped and off.

Don't have any cats around and although there are birds of prey around the quarry they don't seem to be in my garden.

Anyone got any ideas of what else I could try as I love looking out the window watching them?:(

Kenn
18-Dec-08, 12:12
Many of our native birds do head south for the winter even the robins but you should be seeing visitors from the continent who normally replace them.
We seem to have either a glut of birds or just the normal sparrows and starlings at the moment despite the weather being unusually cold for the time of year and the feeders filled every day.
Here's hoping the incomers find your gourmet table and you can get back to watching from the window.

porshiepoo
19-Dec-08, 10:33
Hmmmmmm, or you could look to the neighbours [evil]

I've loved watching the birds in my garden and I've spent a pretty penny on all different kinds of food for them so that I know they all have something they need. Everything is checked daily and they never run out. I've even took a keen interest in photographing them and learning to identify them - we've had Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Wrens, Robbins, just to name a few.
Imagine my surprise when all of a sudden last week every single bird disappeared! Not one to be seen - gutted I was.
Then I realised that our neighbour who lives away most of the year has come home for xmas and I know for a fact that he has tons of feeders.
How fickle these creatures bloomin are, I've a good mind to pack everything up and leave a note telling the traitors they'll have to go elsewhere in the future - ungrateful little so and so's.:eek:

Just Kidding! I'm sure they'll be back when said neighbour goes off again. Until then I'll just have to watch and wait.

Fran
20-Dec-08, 03:45
I am missing my birds too, and have you noticed there are no seagulls around. hope they all come back soon, the food is sitting waiting for them and i miss them. Maybe they are all in spain on holiday!!

Liz
24-Dec-08, 13:53
I still have a lot of birds coming to be fed including seagulls who come for their breakfast Fran.:D