PDA

View Full Version : Broken tooth on holiday

bekisman
17-Dec-08, 19:04
Had one of those things that unfortunately happens when on holiday away from home; bit into a boiled sweet offered by a grandson and a large filling and bits of tooth fell out.. having a pathological fear of dentists (since five weeks of intensive dental treatments back in the 70's with the Army Dentists!) What to do? I'm down in Lancs and not with any of the "Private Practices" in Thurso/Wick and am on the NHS Waiting list - think I'm 7,000 in line?

Anyway pain kicks in, bear it overnight, sod this, got to do something, rang Helpline in Lancashire, told to go to NHS emergency clinic in Chorley in two hours time.. At 11am sat in waiting room, prepared for a long wait. But no, two minutes later; "Peter"? and in a minute I'm sat in a gadget encrusted chair with a lady Dentist smiling down at me. A few seconds of incomprehensible code between the Dentist and the nurse about my teeth and it's a quick injection into the gums (I flinched as images of long ago flooded in).
By half eleven I'm back in the reception; tooth extracted and a request for "£16.20" please..

That was yesterday. Today all's back to normal, no pain, eating normally and a feeling of 'that's not too bad, was it'?

teenybash
17-Dec-08, 20:17
Congratulations to you and also lucky you. I am nursing an abcessed tooth.....not been able to register nhs...I think I am 4000 on list so am in front of you:Razz Hoping it will settle down over the next few days without me having to pay out the expense of 'private'[disgust]

bekisman
17-Dec-08, 21:14
They classed mine as an 'emergency' (i.e. in pain) so they only charged me £16.20. don't know if you would get the same up there?

Dog-eared
17-Dec-08, 22:13
An extraction in Caithness is around ninety quid.

squeezy
18-Dec-08, 00:12
teeny, not sure if you can, but I'd see if there is any way you can get that seen to as an emergency - an abscess can spread to the surrounding teeth if not treated and destroy the bones around. Not very nice...

A couple of months ago I noticed swelling round a tooth that I had root canal work on about 4 years ago, after the check up, turned out it was an abcess (which was the problem 4 yrs ago too!), I then had 4 trips for removal of fillings and various antibiotics which didn't work - I finally had an extraction last week. Total cost £14.60 - couldn't believe it, had to ask the receptionist to confirm !