PDA

View Full Version : Dogs temp.

cuddlepop
17-Dec-08, 16:24
How do you know when your dogs got a temperatue?

Scorries eating well,same amount of energy and play but his head just feels hot.

He was in the sea more than usual yesterday but he's not drinking more than usual.

Totally confused.:confused

muffin
17-Dec-08, 17:42
I've noticed that both my dogs' heads occasionally feel warm for no apparent reason, I know the vets take their temperature at the rear end but I've no idea what it should be, a google search might help.

carasmam
17-Dec-08, 19:02
I borrowed this from another site I go on - A dogs temp can range from 37.2 - 39.2, any higher for more than 12 hours and you should go to the vet.

Personally I'd go to the vet if your not happy.
Not sure if it is an old wives tale about a dogs nose being dry if they have a temperature and if it's wet they are ok ??

cuddlepop
17-Dec-08, 20:07
Thanks you too will watch and see how he gets on.
I love my dogs but cant afford a "he's a phoney" bill again.:roll:

teenybash
17-Dec-08, 20:12
Scorrie doesn't sound as if he has a problem...............if his hot head isn't bothering him, I wouldn't worry. When the head area is warm with ear scratching that usually indicates ear infection or a foreign body...but if he is showing no signs of illness I wouldn't worry too much.... keep an eye and if anything develops then talk to the vet.......He's a smasher by the sounds of it..................:Razz

brandy
17-Dec-08, 20:19
dont know if its a wives tale or not.. but we were always told the feel their nose... a warm dry nose is a sign of fever, but if it is an inside dog, the nose is like to be dry anyway. but a warm nose.. equates to a feverish brow
found this hope it helps
http://www.dogsymptoms.co.uk/dog_fever_symptoms.html

cuddlepop
17-Dec-08, 22:15
dont know if its a wives tale or not.. but we were always told the feel their nose... a warm dry nose is a sign of fever, but if it is an inside dog, the nose is like to be dry anyway. but a warm nose.. equates to a feverish brow
found this hope it helps
http://www.dogsymptoms.co.uk/dog_fever_symptoms.html

Thanks for that Brandy.
Scorries probably overheating because he feels the house warm.He much prefers being outside.
Teenybash he's a wee smasher.Lastnight when Oh was watching the snooker the "clown" decided to attack the screen for the balls.:lol:

Liz
17-Dec-08, 23:15
He sounds absolutely fine to me!:D It's probably all the crazy schemes he is coming up with which is overheating his brain!!

He is a wee character and so glad he is giving you much needed laughter.:lol:

teenybash
17-Dec-08, 23:34
Just a thought Cuddlepop................You or a vet trying to take the scatty Scorries temperature....the mind boggles and once the thermometer was in situ, would Scorrie stand still long enough or take off round the surgery..............[lol]

crustyroll
18-Dec-08, 00:06
What you should get is a cheap digital thermometer as they work really quickly and dont upset the dogs too much! You dont have to insert the tip very far into their behind and a few tasty biscuits will help....:lol:

The usual temp is 38.9-39.7 celcius or 100.9-101.7 farenheit. I usually work in farenheit and the last time my dog had an infection her temp was up about 103 and she was clearly unsettled. If the insides of their ears are really really hot or their tummy then I would check the temp again.

cuddlepop
18-Dec-08, 09:58
Just a thought Cuddlepop................You or a vet trying to take the scatty Scorries temperature....the mind boggles and once the thermometer was in situ, would Scorrie stand still long enough or take off round the surgery..............[lol]

Teenybash our vets surgery in Portree is no bigger than a carboard box.
Now with Scorrie being quiet a substantional size,me the vet,his equipment and the dog,I'd be expecting "candid Camera" to appear from somewhere.lol

Lastnight he attacked the wee fluffy snowman which was quiet happily sitting beside santa and rudolf.3rd time unlucky,for Mr Snowman
Snowie is now missing his eyes and nose.

No Santa for Scorrie me thinks.;)

teenybash
18-Dec-08, 15:04
Cuddlepop hope you are writing all his escapades down.........like I said before, you could have a best seller................Suggested titles..Scorries Tales, The Wonderful World of Scorrie, Scorrie looses the Plot..again,
Scorrie the Loveable Fool..........I could go on.:Razz