PDA

View Full Version : Military Awards

Connor.
17-Dec-08, 15:29
You may have heard they are wanting to host an awards ceremony for people who have risked their lives in the war and other such dangers in the military. I think this is a great idea and long overdue.

However, the bit i am most struck by, is someone said "Why should they have an awards ceremony....they are just doing their job"

That sort of comment disgusts me. Actors are just doing their job - they get awards. Musicians are just doing their job yet they get awards. These soldiers are risking their lives to do what they are doing.

These soldiers are very young in some cases and are losing limbs, having permanent damage done to them i.e. blindness, deafness and disfigurement. These soldiers deserve an awards ceremony and so much more. I'm glad we can are finally doing something to appreciate their work.

I read in the paper a while back that there was a funeral for a soldier in London and people were beeping their horns to get past and not caring one bit for this poor guy who lost his life fighting FOR the country and the people in it.

Do you think more and more people are unappreciative of the soldiers nowadays?

Thumper
17-Dec-08, 15:53
Totally agree with you Connor,they deserve the awards! I was going to post a poem that I was sent but Anne x has posted it in the literature section so please everyone go read it and spare a thought for the men and women who keep us safe x

hotrod4
17-Dec-08, 16:44
100% behind you there. But isnt it always the ones who say "they are only doing their job" that are sitting on their behinds.while these brave lassies and laddies fight for our country? Not going to go into the rights and wrongs of war (will leave that to the usual suspects;)), but i think anyone in any walk of life who goes the distance or above and beyond in serving the country and public deserve recognition,not those sat on their butt milking the state and doing nothing for society or the country.
I only ever got my NI medal when i was there but did get a commendation from the Transport police for bravery, which to this day makes me swell up with pride. It makes alot of difference to soldiers,sailors etc to know that their work is appreciated.

Bad Manners
17-Dec-08, 18:32
In principal I agree with the fact they should be awarded something when they have gone above and beyond the call of duty. My concern is there is an award system in place such as commendations medals etc issued by the goverment through the ministery of defence, I am the proud recipient of three medals for services within the course of war.
I am however concerned awards proposed the current awards are given by people that know first hand what has been done etc I would be far happier with a program that highlights the fight that many have to do when they are injured not an award but a recognision that what they have done is appreciated. to those who say it's what we get paid for. yes you are correct but those who have been awarded medals and have recieved commendations have preformed way above what they are paid for.

Valerie Campbell
17-Dec-08, 19:25
The armed forces are just doing their job, but what a job it is. They put their lives on the line day in and day out through choice! I take my hat off to them. Courage, no matter where it comes from, should be rewarded somehow. My Dad was always proud of his medals but the mental scars took away the pleasure of them.

bekisman
17-Dec-08, 19:31
Whilst in the Armed Forces I occasionally worked with the American Military and was always facinated by their chest's full of medals and awards, even the young lads who had not actually seen active service.. bit different from 'ours'..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_milita ry

Melancholy Man
17-Dec-08, 21:25
As someone who genuinely does wear a hat, I take it off to services. I don't agree with certain wars, but well done.

Whitewater
17-Dec-08, 23:34
I do not agree with war in any way, there is nothing glorious about it, but at times it is necessary. I recall in my young days while living in Australia during the 60s, conscription was introduced, I missed the call up by 2days, but I would have gone and been proud to have been a member of the Australian forces had I been called up.
Our forces fought for our freedom and gave us the rights we all have today, they were, and still are very brave men and women, and deserve all the awards they are given, it is a very special type of person who is prepared to lay down their life for us oldies at home, and I am very proud of them all.

Welcomefamily
17-Dec-08, 23:34
[quote=Connor.;471511]You may have heard they are wanting to host an awards ceremony for people who have risked their lives in the war and other such dangers in the military. I think this is a great idea and long overdue.

However, the bit i am most struck by, is someone said "Why should they have an awards ceremony....they are just doing their job"

That sort of comment disgusts me.

Its pretty obvious the person who made the comment has nothing between their ears, and has made the comment to get an effect because they live such a pathetic little life that its the only way they are noticed.

No matter if we disagree or agree with the motives behind the war, all of those people out there deserve nothing but our respect and admiration.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.7126` if you want to send a christmas message to the Navy and Marines out there.