PDA

View Full Version : Wallander...

percy toboggan
16-Dec-08, 19:10
..is anyone else loving this series?
Shot in Sweden with an English speaking cast. World weary public dick played by Ken Branagh. He's one heck of an actor I feel - never really thought about it before. Unusual locations, not too fantastical storylines-
I think it's a minor revelation.

Branagh conveys tiredness, and a disbelieving almost disconnected jaundice which switches to hawkeyed resolve in the face of a foe.

Good stuff.

Metalattakk
16-Dec-08, 19:20
Ah, so it's not about the famous tight-rope-walking family then.... :confused

Angela
16-Dec-08, 19:25

Yes! :D I'd read all the books and wasn't confident that either the Swedish setting or Wallander himself, as portrayed by Kenenth Branagh, would translate too well to the small screen. Always the risk that a TV series will ruin the picture you've already created in your own mind.

Not the case here, happily. I think Branagh has been an excellent choice as Wallander and the sense of place and bleakness of the atmosphere stay true to the novels.

Not the more usual feel-good Sunday night viewing, but the more worthwhile for that maybe. A shame it's been such a short series of only 3.

There is some really good Scandinavian crime writing to be had -Henning Mankell is the best known, but by no means the only one worth reading. :)

MadPict
16-Dec-08, 19:52
Does he drive a Volvo?......

AfternoonDelight
17-Dec-08, 14:11
NO! I watched (or tried to) the first half an hour of the first programme. Normally I like to persevere with a programme as I can usually get into it eventually but I must say this bored me to tears. I thought it was contrived and unsincere and I really couldn't care less "whodunnit"...

percy toboggan
17-Dec-08, 17:45
Branagh is brilliant. He portrays a world weary, moral sapped auld trumper even better than I could, and I'm used to it.

His assistant - the woman...seems to pull the same face whatever he says though - bemused bewilderment. I'm not bad at that either.

All in all I 'm sorry this classy telly is such a short lived series. I hope it comes back. He does drive a Volvo Estate - not particularly well, it has to be said. I like the scenes 'twixt himself and his daughter. Spark she's called in real life - and she has a spark about her nature, and a quality about her - she will go far.

Maybe you should give it another chance AD. I have recorded all three but the first one went haywire just after the lass set fire to herself - which was a shame.

(eeh- that construct made me titter)

scorrie
17-Dec-08, 18:53
Shot in Sweden with an English speaking cast. World weary public dick played by Ken Branagh. He's one heck of an actor I feel - never really thought about it before. Unusual locations, not too fantastical storylines-
I think it's a minor revelation.

Branagh conveys tiredness, and a disbelieving almost disconnected jaundice which switches to hawkeyed resolve in the face of a foe.

Good stuff.

I've enjoyed the little of it I have seen so far. I bought the books for my wife a few years ago and she was very impressed with them, so we were interested to see the adaptation for TV. Due to family illnesses, we have not seen much of what we have recorded yet.

Footnote:-

The series is supposed to be set in Sweden but was clearly recorded in Glasgow, because I saw one of the Police cars and it clearly said "POLIS" on the side.
"All right Stirling, oot the car" ;)

Valerie Campbell
17-Dec-08, 19:20
I think it's great. Hope the Beeb make more of them. They've managed to keep the balance between Swedish - I noticed the computers and notes are in Swedish - and English. They've done this before with the likes of Archangel with Daniel Craig where Russian is woven in.

percy toboggan
17-Dec-08, 19:55
There have been several striking scenes of moody skies, wafting wheatfields etc. which make a Scandinavian road trip overdue.....cheaper than Alaska - where we were thinking of for uz 40th. Mmmm....food for thought...although the drink is dear I'm told. I likes a few ales after a day behind the wheel.

I want to watch it again tonight - the second one...I've not been so enamoured of a t.v. show since Auf Wiedersehen Pet !

Fstevens
17-Dec-08, 20:00
Great series, great books, at least he looks like a working cop,weary, worn, and I love it to bits. Please keep it coming.

"If theres room in your heart, theres room in your home"