PDA

View Full Version : National Service

angela5
30-Jan-06, 00:00
Last night i witnessed youths in my street running riot, banging on doors and shouting.
If we had national service we not not have this problem, for one they would be all in training camps learning right from wrong, discipline, manners.
So what is everyones feelings on this should national service be brought back for the youth of today?.

connieb19
30-Jan-06, 00:06
Children should be seen and not heard.....
A goop skelp across the lug usually works...lol

porshiepoo
30-Jan-06, 00:12
Not so sure about National service but boot camps should be made available to all those that need it. But the twist is that the parents have to attend a form of boot camp too - respect cuts both ways.

wilma
30-Jan-06, 11:01
Last night i witnessed youths in my street running riot, banging on doors and shouting.
If we had national service we not not have this problem, for one they would be all in training camps learning right from wrong, discipline, manners.
So what is everyones feelings on this should national service be brought back for the youth of today?.
Do you have children a.smith would you want your children to have to do national service?

Chillie
30-Jan-06, 11:09
Do you have children a.smith would you want your children to have to do national service?

Well i think its a great idea, i would send all my kids for at least 2 years.

wilma
30-Jan-06, 11:17
Well i think its a great idea, i would send all my kids for at least 2 years.
I am not saying it's a bad idea i am say would you be happy for your children to go and do N.S for 2 years ?

Bobinovich
30-Jan-06, 11:39
While I don't agree that National Service is the way to go, modern style boot camps appear to be a pretty good alternative. So how about a system similar to a car licence during the kids' school years?

Each offence carried out (and where you've been caught obviously) carries points (depending on severity of offence) on your 'licence'
Bad behaviour at school also allows the school system to add points to your 'licence'
Parents and other responsible adults can add points for general behaviour and mannersOf course good behaviour, as seen by parents, school (by way of both behaviour and grades), in fact any adult, will reduce the points also, so someone who starts out on a bad path and then turns themselves around will reap the rewards.

When the youth leaves school their points are totalled up and this is turned in to weeks/months of boot-camp style rehab setting themselves as much more respectable members of society and ready to start working for a living.

If they continue to offend then the normal criminal system will take effect anyway, and persistent offenders should then be considered for National Service.

However as mentioned before this doesn't take parents into account, some who are as much responsible for the way their kids' turn out as the kids themselves. Maybe there should be a similar licence for parents where if a kid skips school, or is badly behaved, they get a point added and this can then be turned into a fine or National Service for the parent!

Heh! I could think of a few people who's kids behaviour would send them to NS for years!!! :evil

DW
30-Jan-06, 12:22
Problem with National Service - you can get shot and killed - even in training ( DeepCut).
Not sure that a fatal shooting is a reasonable deterrent for bad behaviour.
Much prefer the idea of a swift kick up the 'Irish Language'.

connieb19
30-Jan-06, 18:59
Put any out of control kids round to good old aunt Connie for a few days...
They'll be so glad to get home, they won't misbehave again...lol[evil]

krieve
30-Jan-06, 19:06
Put any out of control kids round to good old aunt Connie for a few days...
They'll be so glad to get home, they won't misbehave again...lol[evil]
I have two childern here for you what time do you want me to drop them off lol

_Ju_
30-Jan-06, 20:31
While I don't agree that National Service is the way to go, modern style boot camps appear to be a pretty good alternative. So how about a system similar to a car licence during the kids' school years?

Each offence carried out (and where you've been caught obviously) carries points (depending on severity of offence) on your 'licence'
Bad behaviour at school also allows the school system to add points to your 'licence'
Parents and other responsible adults can add points for general behaviour and mannersOf course good behaviour, as seen by parents, school (by way of both behaviour and grades), in fact any adult, will reduce the points also, so someone who starts out on a bad path and then turns themselves around will reap the rewards.

When the youth leaves school their points are totalled up and this is turned in to weeks/months of boot-camp style rehab setting themselves as much more respectable members of society and ready to start working for a living.

If they continue to offend then the normal criminal system will take effect anyway, and persistent offenders should then be considered for National Service.

However as mentioned before this doesn't take parents into account, some who are as much responsible for the way their kids' turn out as the kids themselves. Maybe there should be a similar licence for parents where if a kid skips school, or is badly behaved, they get a point added and this can then be turned into a fine or National Service for the parent!

Heh! I could think of a few people who's kids behaviour would send them to NS for years!!! :evil

....And then people complain they live in a nanny state.......

Why not tackle the problem at the root: parents. Parents who are not doing their job or are ready for the job. Parents who give birth years before they have the right to vote. Mothers who exclude fathers from the lives of their chidren just because they can do so easily. Parents who just don't give a damn. Having laws that make parents responsible for their childrens behaviour is not enough. The laws have to be punatively enforced.

angela5
30-Jan-06, 23:44
While I don't agree that National Service is the way to go, modern style boot camps [quote=]

modern style boot camps i've not heard of them you meaning bootcamps with tv's, playstation, computers, pool tables ?:confused:

you don't agree with national service? you wanting to send the persistent offenders to modern boot camps then:confused:

Bobinovich
01-Feb-06, 21:41
you don't agree with national service? you wanting to send the persistent offenders to modern boot camps then:confused:

Well National Service could get them killed - serving soldiers choose this career but to force it on a delinquent doesn't get the point across. You want them to come out of it whole but with changed mental attitudes - respect & manners. This is the stuff which should be instilled into them during their formative years, but sadly today is lacking in many.

Boot camps as I envisage it would be like hard-run oudoor centres - up at 6am, plenty of excercise, team building, hiking, etc. and falling into bed at 8pm 'cos you're so tired, all under the watchful eye of some ex-Para's who take bull from no-one. Stuff Playstations & all that!