PDA

View Full Version : 365 Days Later.....

Gizmo
16-Dec-08, 14:11
I'm not really one for every giving self praise, but on this occasion i think i'll give myself a pat on the back, this time last year i was a borderline alcoholic, the 15th Dec 2007 was the last time a single drop of alcohol passed my lips, i actually made the decision to stop drinking on the 5th but fell off the wagon when i lost my job on the 15th, so today i have been sober for exactly one year, it's not been easy and i had to walk away from the lifestyle i was living and also most of my friends, i miss the craic at times, but i don't miss all the hassle that came along with it, life is still far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot healthier and happier without alcohol :D

changilass
16-Dec-08, 14:14
Well done Gizmo, keep up the good work.

anneoctober
16-Dec-08, 14:36
I'm not really one for every giving self praise, but on this occasion i think i'll give myself a pat on the back, this time last year i was a borderline alcoholic, the 15th Dec 2007 was the last time a single drop of alcohol passed my lips, i actually made the decision to stop drinking on the 5th but fell off the wagon when i lost my job on the 15th, so today i have been sober for exactly one year, it's not been easy and i had to walk away from the lifestyle i was living and also most of my friends, i miss the craic at times, but i don't miss all the hassle that came along with it, life is still far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot healthier and happier without alcohol :D
Absolutely nowt wrong in congratulating yourself on such a great acheivement - you have loads to be proud of!:D The straight & narrow path is never an easy one, whatever our failings are. One day at a time Gizmo and best wishes for the future you want to have. Anne xxxxxx

squareman
16-Dec-08, 14:52
Credit where credit is due, well done Gizmo. Not easy, but at least you have seen the light. One day at a time, I am sure it will get easier. Good luck on the coming year ahead and look forward to hearing about your 2nd anniversary. Remember help is at hand locally .......

Kevin Milkins
16-Dec-08, 15:00
Good on you mate. Well done.

Liz
16-Dec-08, 15:05
Very, very well done!:D

Angela
16-Dec-08, 15:07
Well done, Gizmo. That's brilliant! :D

Happy anniversary! ;)

Anne x
16-Dec-08, 15:10
Very well done and here is another pat on your back all the best for the next year

Connor.
16-Dec-08, 15:13
Good job Gizmo mate.
http://forum.dhry.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_clap2.gif

AfternoonDelight
16-Dec-08, 15:14
I'd better not see you in Spoons with the missus on Saturday night!!

Only joking - well done! :Razz

golach
16-Dec-08, 15:24
Gizmo, well done, you have done great, that's a power of strength, doing it and admitting it.

carasmam
16-Dec-08, 15:49
Well done Gizmo, you've every right to give yourself a pat on the back :D

binbob
16-Dec-08, 15:52
well done...gizmo.

teenybash
16-Dec-08, 16:05
Gizmo, you have done so well and deserve all the hearty congratulations that you can handle.
It is pretty wonderful that you have the courage and strength to share your achievement openly with your friends at the .org.
You are an inspiration to others..............Well done!!!
And if you ever feel like a bit of pub craic why not pop over to the org pub on jokes, humour etc and add your bit fun......:Razz

Valerie Campbell
16-Dec-08, 16:18
Well done Gizmo. You deserve a pat on the back. It was a really hard time of year for you to stop but you did it. You are right to be proud of yourself.

pat
16-Dec-08, 16:21
Congratulations on cutting the alcohol. Keep up the good work for yourself, I am sure you feel a lot better and see things in a different light now.

I chuckle when folk say they dont drink - wish they would state what they usually mean, as you did - no alcohol.

I frequently ask the person who said they dont drink how they are managing to survive - they think I am being obtuse but if they were like many folk with kidney and other health problems where every sip of water is counted they would never utter the words 'I dont drink' when they mean 'I do not drink alcohol'.

I consider if alcohol was discovered now it would be illegal - more damaging to family life, work, health and relationships than anything else known.

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-08, 16:23
Well dont indeed! I would take more than one pat on the back...take 5! Go on! U deserve it!

I understand it would be hard in a way as i had a family member in the same situation who has now been sobre since Febuary. Obviously i dont see it from your point of view but i do understand in a different way!

So well done! :Razz

wifie
16-Dec-08, 16:25
Well done Gizmo! :D

Happy Rascal
16-Dec-08, 16:29
Well done indeed you deserve a pat on the back you are doing really well.

Bad Manners
16-Dec-08, 16:31
Well done it takes a lot to admit to people your condition and you are stronger for it keep up the good work and with a positive attitude you can conquer all in your path. Have a nice christmas

Kodiak
16-Dec-08, 16:51
Your First Year Sober, WELL DONE !! I look forward to a Post from you in 365 Days Time advising us that you made 2 Years!! :D

K

cuddlepop
16-Dec-08, 16:57
Well done,its taken guts and determination to get where you are.

Gizmo
16-Dec-08, 17:17
Thanks to everyone for the replies of support, i'm actually completely overwhelmed by it all...so thank you all.

The hardest part of it all was actually admiting to myself that i had a problem, no one wants to believe that they have an alcohol problem, it makes a man seem weak in his own eyes, and us blokes dont like to be seen as having weaknesses like that, we always think we can handle it and could easily put down the bottle if we chose to, a lot of times we can, i have done so in the past, but there eventually comes a time when the bottle creeps up on you and takes hold of your life without you realising, i don't see it as a weakness now...alcohol is a VERY strong drug.

I have not all of a sudden become anti-alcohol because of my problem with it, but if i look back through my life, every single major problem i ever had was rooted in alcohol, whether it was relationships, family, work, trouble with the police, it's all been rooted in too much alcohol, a rational thought process does not exist when it's viewed through a haze of alcohol.
I might have not made it to fully fledged alcoholic, but i was near as dammit, i'm just glad i had the will power to throw off the shackles of alcohol before it completely ruined my life.

So here's to the next 365 sober days :D

All i need now to makes things complete is to find a job, i have worked since i was 14 years old, which was 23 years ago, and i've never really had that much trouble finding work, but things have been as dry as the Sahara for jobs this year, i hope 2009 brings me better luck job wise.

gleeber
16-Dec-08, 17:46
Well done Gizmo. I remember an old mannie telling me a long time ago that alcohol was only a symptom of the problem. Good luck

Tighsonas4
16-Dec-08, 18:26
well done mate
if you dont drink TODAY you need never drink again
all the best over the festive season and clock in again when its over tony

teenybash
16-Dec-08, 18:32
Gizmo your love affair is over with the Lady La Booza is well and truly over by the sounds of it. You have summed her up well and decided her temptations are no longer of interest or value.....you will move onto better and bigger things and high hopes that 2009 sees you flying high, happy, healthy and strong.:Razz

silverfox57
16-Dec-08, 18:47
well done and having the guts to post on here
as there are many people who can not get sober.
some of my best friends who where a lot younger than
me could not get sober are sadly gone,but on a happy note ,
you have orgers who wish you all the best.

floyed
16-Dec-08, 18:50
Congratulations! This is a real achivement you should be very very proud of yourself:D

percy toboggan
16-Dec-08, 18:51
Well done Gizmo.

trix
16-Dec-08, 18:57
guid for ye gizmo...if ye change yer mind an fancy a pint....

gies a shout :Razz :lol:

poppett
16-Dec-08, 19:03
Congratulations Gizmo. Here`s to your next year of sobriety.

Goldie
16-Dec-08, 19:25
Congratulations Gizmo. You are right to feel very proud of yourself. I hope that your fine example will be an encouragement to other people who may be in a situation like you were in. It is so lovely to hear that you achieved such a great task. Not only did you have to admit you had a problem you had to overcome the drinking, you had to change certain parts of your lifestlye to help you pull through it.

WELL DONE GIZMO - Here's to the next year - Happy Christmas and All the Best for the 2009 - your 2nd year of achievment.

Welcomefamily
16-Dec-08, 20:56
Well done and best of luck on the work front, it is a wonderful achievement because its not just drink we are talking about, its a complete change of life style, often much of your life can evolve around the pub so it does take some adjustment.
You should put it on your CV as it says a great deal about your character and the determination it requires. Please do keep it up and hopefully this time next year it will be two.

domino
16-Dec-08, 20:58
Gizmo, you are a credit to yourself and a very good role model for others. I wish you a,sincere, long and happy future.

Gizmo
16-Dec-08, 21:32
Bloomin' eck...av damn near got a tear in my eye reading all the posts:o, thank you all so very much for the kind words

balto
16-Dec-08, 21:52
well done gizmo, you must be so proud of yourself, keep up the good work, once again well done.:D:D

dirdyweeker
17-Dec-08, 00:00
Brilliant! A job as well as a medal for your achievement would certainly be the icing on YOUR Christmas cake. Well done......proud of you and all others who make such an effort when alcohol is so much part of everyday living now.

purplelady
17-Dec-08, 00:03
just adding my congratulations too you have done so well x

Kevin Milkins
17-Dec-08, 01:29
Gizmo,
You have drawn a line in the sand.

Mrs M says I drink too much and perhaps have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!

I get angry because I don't think I have and knock off the drink for a week or so just to proove it.

The reality is that if I continue to kid myself that I don't drink more than is normal then I am going in the wrong direction.

I am sat here typing this with a vodka and coke ,only because I have run out of bicardi.

I feel a new years resulation coming on inspired by you. Thank you

Foxy
17-Dec-08, 01:55
Well done Gizmo, it's not easy admitting you have a problem, but you have and you've done something about it. :) You deserve a medal.

rockchick
17-Dec-08, 12:54
Congrats Gizmo - well done and you deserve all the praise you've received!

In order to capture this feeling of achievement and what staying sober means to you, can I suggest that you buy something small, that fits nicely in your hand (I personally would get a small unique polished pebble) and keep that with you, all the time, in your pocket...everytime you hold that pebble it will remind you of this good feeling, and if you are going through a rough time it will give you something to hold on to so you don't fall off the wagon. Before you take a drink, make yourself throw away the pebble beforehand, and you may realize in time that exactly what you are throwing away is your sobriety.

Good luck!