PDA

View Full Version : Attention everyone!!!

highlander
16-Dec-08, 08:34
Read this on bbc site this morning, thought i should pass it on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

floyed
16-Dec-08, 08:51
Well spotted, i don't use this browser tho so need to worry:D

brokencross
16-Dec-08, 08:52
Thanks for that!

MadPict
16-Dec-08, 10:43
All versions are affected....

A new advisory has warned that as well as Internet Explorer 7, other versions potentially vulnerable to attacks are IE 5.01 Service Pack 4, IE 6 Service Pack 1, IE 6 and IE 8 Beta 2.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/609228/another-wave-of-attacks-target-internet-explorer?CMP=NLC-Newsletters

Oddquine
16-Dec-08, 11:58
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Long ago gave up on IE ....more bother than it is worth.

Shabbychic
16-Dec-08, 12:29
I very seldom use IE, but still come across a few sites that can only be accessed via IE. I'll give them a miss until this is sorted.

brokencross
16-Dec-08, 13:33
If I download Firefox or other free browser and it becomes my default browser, will I have lost all my "favourites" on I.E.

Sapphire2803
16-Dec-08, 13:44
If you download firefox, it will give you the option to import your favourites from IE during the install.

Gizmo
16-Dec-08, 13:56
No surprise there, IE, along with most other pieces of Microsoft software is utter crap, all web browsers have their bugs, but IE is just awful.

silverfox57
16-Dec-08, 14:01
thanks for the warning as use ie7.going to change to some other browser.
can anyone recommend a good browser ,

unicornleather
16-Dec-08, 14:04
Thanks, just downloaded Firefox, what a difference, so much better won't be going back to IE ever!

Gizmo
16-Dec-08, 14:14
thanks for the warning as use ie7.going to change to some other browser.
can anyone recommend a good browser ,

Mozilla Firefox, the best browser out there.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

silverfox57
16-Dec-08, 14:24
Mozilla Firefox, the best browser out there.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
thanks gizmo on to it right now,hope no one is off with
my details ,if they have, think they would feel sorry
for me ,and put money in my a/c:lol:

George Brims
16-Dec-08, 18:42
While we're on the subject of products I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, get rid of Outlook and use Mozilla Thunderbird as your email client. Outlook is horribly prone to attacks. Our IT guy will not let anyone use it.

purplelady
17-Dec-08, 00:11
how do i know what one i have it says on my internet thingie i have bt yahoo broadband so not sure hehehehe

Anne x
17-Dec-08, 00:12
So what Icon do you click on to get into the internet ?

Metalattakk
17-Dec-08, 00:33
how do i know what one i have it says on my internet thingie i have bt yahoo broadband so not sure hehehehe

The BT Yahoo browser is just an Internet Explorer plug-in, as far as I can tell. It uses the same engine so will likely be subject to the same vulnerabilities.

Mind you, having said that, I think this whole hullabaloo is a bit OTT. If you're browsing safely with the right protection I doubt this issue will affect you at all.

Having said that though, I'd certainly recommend Firefox for the extensions alone.

Oddquine
17-Dec-08, 00:33

BT yahoo uses a branded version of Internet Explorer. But both my offspring are on BT broadband, but use firefox as their browser.

Talktalk browser is IE as well...........in fact I think all the providers which install browsers use IE.......which is why I use a broadband provider which just gives you the router and the bandwidth! ;)

brokencross
17-Dec-08, 08:02
If you download firefox, it will give you the option to import your favourites from IE during the install.
Thanks for that, have done it...now just trying to get used to the totally different layout of Firefox

Venture
17-Dec-08, 10:20
Thanks for that, have done it...now just trying to get used to the totally different layout of Firefox

Likewise. It takes a lot of getting used to particularly the layout as you say brokencross. The difference in speed is unbelievable though.

brokencross
17-Dec-08, 10:54
The difference in speed is unbelievable though.

I noticed that.

Also having to download certain "plug-ins". Once/If I get used to layout (especially the favourites list) I probably won't go back to I.E.

hotrod4
17-Dec-08, 13:55
I have been a "foxer" for many years. IE is slow and prone to attack. tried Netsxcape and opera but nothing compares to fire fox.Tried Safari and didnt like it either.
I prefer ubuntu to windows but Mrs Rod likes Windows and knows her way around. The speed of linux is astounding my ADSl connection seemed to run faster on it as well. Thank god i have my own Hard drive on the machine so I can use it!!!!![lol]

Green_not_greed
17-Dec-08, 14:26
FYI its been announced that M/S will post a patch to solve the current IE problem at 1800 GMT tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7787445.stm

I used Safari and was impressed with it (and Firefox) on my old PC but have had to revert back to IE as I have Vista and 64-bit on my new one. The net has never been the same.

GNG

fatmaggie9
17-Dec-08, 16:03
There is a patch available now to download from microsoft

Those using 'Fire' etc are no better off as PC World,Computeractive Magazines etc are quoting 40 plus vulnarabilites on them.

Seems nothing is safe from those determined to cause us all problems:(

rfr10
17-Dec-08, 19:48
The patch details are available at

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/bulletins/200812_oob.mspx

I find nothing wrong with Internet Explorer. Always hearing bad reviews about it but have tried various other web browsers and have to say that they are no different to me so I will stick to IE.

forevera123
17-Dec-08, 21:03
thank you for that, highlander.

purplelady
18-Dec-08, 00:09
Thank you all for your input still non the wiser hehehehe will just have to hope i guess lol

young_fishin_neep
18-Dec-08, 22:39
i love my firefox, i find it runs alot better and also i have less problems with it. if i do use IE wich is very rarely i find that i end up doing some sort of damage to the laptop

kazzii xxxx

sassylass
19-Dec-08, 02:57
Thanks for the heads up, highlander, you're a wee gem.