PDA

View Full Version : To quote Victor Meldrew...........

Oddquine
16-Dec-08, 03:32
I don't believe it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7781108.stm

We are borrowing money right left and centre, and are getting up to our oxters in debt which it will take us gawd knows how many decades to repay................yet we dish out £480million to Pakistan.........a country which is rich enough to have nuclear weapons!

I assume Nulabour have given up any hope of winning the next election and are making it difficult for the Tories when it is their turn!

brokencross
16-Dec-08, 09:19
To quote Douglas Alexander......"Our aim is to continue to help improve poor people's lives in key areas, making sure they have access to better healthcare, schools and employment opportunities."

NuLabour hasn't got those issues sorted in our own country, so what chance in Pakistan. I agree Brown and Co are just scattercashers. I do feel for the poor and suffering in the world BUT it is time to start looking after the people of our own nation first instead of trying to be moral guardians and universal saviours and in the words of Gordon Brown....saving the world!!

MadPict
16-Dec-08, 10:42
Wondered where in Pakistan Nulabour was....

...don't read Org posts until second coffee.......;)

brokencross
16-Dec-08, 11:04
Wondered where in Pakistan Nulabour was....;)

Just South of Libdem ;).............enjoy the coffee

percy toboggan
16-Dec-08, 19:02
This could be money well spent.
Brown's recent visit to Pakistan was very important.
Given the British publish reluctance to swell the coffers of the recent ('06) Pakistani earthquake appeal iot's good to know the government is willing to part with sizeable sums to help them, coax them - or even goad them into securing their borders and resisting terrorism.

Does the originator of this thread realise the difficulties the Pakistani
Government has in trying to suppress terrorism and growing Islamic militancy?
Perhaps not. You'd do well to remember that this is the third world. As we are investing PRICELESS British lives on the killing grounds of Afghanistan then this sum appears trifling in comparison. Although Pakistan is now a nuclear power I feel the growth of militant Islam within its borders and the consequences for us in the longer term is a seperate issue entirely.

Victor Meldrew knew the importance of security, I recall.

Welcomefamily
16-Dec-08, 21:12
I think the amount is a bit over board, I understand the motives and hopefully it will be spent on education and health but will it will make a difference?

However I would rather see the troops out of there which removes the problem and the funds used for Improvements to Wick High School and a new High School for Halkirk.

Oddquine
17-Dec-08, 00:05
Given the British publish reluctance to swell the coffers of the recent ('06) Pakistani earthquake appeal iot's good to know the government is willing to part with sizeable sums to help them, coax them - or even goad them into securing their borders and resisting terrorism.

Perhaps not. You'd do well to remember that this is the third world. As we are investing PRICELESS British lives on the killing grounds of Afghanistan then this sum appears trifling in comparison. Although Pakistan is now a nuclear power I feel the growth of militant Islam within its borders and the consequences for us in the longer term is a seperate issue entirely.

But that sum has nothing to do with security..money for that is a separate issue.

That money is to help the impoverished Pakistanis get a life and an education...........those impoverished Pakistanis who pay most of the taxes the government wastes as Pakistan is funded mainly through indirect taxation. Their government makes little effort to tax the incomes of the wealthy...perhaps because they would effectively be taxing themselves and their families.

Strikes me that it is about time the West made aid packages to all countries who are economically incapable of maintaining their populations to a minimum level concomitant on their leaders illustrating a modicum of financial nous.

If they won't bother their behinds taxing their rich....why should our poor subsidise them?

brokencross
17-Dec-08, 11:25

Don't think a poxy £480 million will convince the Pakistani Government to do anything about security, militancy, terrorism, terror camps etc OR make the militants/terrorists think "What a wonderful lot the Brits are, we will leave them alone now"

percy toboggan
17-Dec-08, 17:36
Don't think a poxy £480 million will convince the Pakistani Government to do anything about security, militancy, terrorism, terror camps etc OR make the militants/terrorists think "What a wonderful lot the Brits are, we will leave them alone now"

Should we increase the amount then?
The group you speak of are brainwashed in some of the 'madrassers' and will never look upon us favourably.

Perhaps there should be a campaign to send them all individual Christmas cards instead..that'd go down well.:eek:

brokencross
17-Dec-08, 18:19
Should we increase the amount then?
The group you speak of are brainwashed in some of the 'madrassers' and will never look upon us favourably.

Perhaps there should be a campaign to send them all individual Christmas cards instead..that'd go down well.:eek:

Too late, last posting for Pakistan is well past.....what influence can Brown the self professed "Saviour of the World" have on the madrassas you speak of.... Your solution is ???

percy toboggan
17-Dec-08, 18:36
Too late, last posting for Pakistan is well past.....what influence can Brown the self professed "Saviour of the World" have on the madrassas you speak of.... Your solution is ???

My 'solution' ?
I have no wish to be banned from this board.

We surely have madrassas in our midsts.
Brown's faux pas will haunt him for ever but it was a slip of the tongue...seized upon by a madmedia who also have much to answer.

maddrassas...maddmedias - perhaps two sides of the same coin - each driving us downward towards a potential abyss. In truth I have no 'solution' beyond saving myself the pain of worrying about it for much longer.

Sorry to sound resigned... but I almost did today - which would not have been a wise move.