PDA

View Full Version : Not that I want to be picky or anything......

Oddquine
15-Dec-08, 17:59
but what is it with the ? instead of £ signs on the front page of the org?

Been biting my tongue for ages...but my tongue is too sore to bite today! :(

Tighsonas4
15-Dec-08, 18:07
youve had me searching on the front page kid but i must be thick as i cant find what you refer too [lol] [lol] tony

dirdyweeker
15-Dec-08, 18:16
what a brilliant way of making us read the front page! :lol:

On a serious note...I have had a look too and any part of 'my' front page which refers to money has a £ sign not a ?. Perhaps your post was seen and it has been rectified?

Oddquine
15-Dec-08, 18:34
what a brilliant way of making us read the front page! :lol:

On a serious note...I have had a look too and any part of 'my' front page which refers to money has a £ sign not a ?. Perhaps your post was seen and it has been rectified?

Nope....appears to be my browser's fault. It upgraded itself a few weeks ago and changed the character encoding to Unicode UFT-8 without me realising....at least I assume that's when it happened.

Always wondered what changing the viewing code did....and now I know.

George Brims
16-Dec-08, 22:08
Mine (Firefox) did the same. Now I get little boxy symbols, which when magnified appear to tell me what they stand for (like "FF" for form feed) instead of displaying them properly.

Anyone know what I should change encoding to in order to see pound signs etc displayed properly?

Boss
16-Dec-08, 22:41
I changed from Internet Explorer, after I read today's bbc report
I went over to firefox, my computer now appears to be working better than it did before, but this is one of the few forums I have been able to access tonight,
Firefox has done something, I know not what,
oh and I didn't know this forum had a front page.........the mind boggles this evening!!:roll:

Oddquine
16-Dec-08, 23:25
Mine (Firefox) did the same. Now I get little boxy symbols, which when magnified appear to tell me what they stand for (like "FF" for form feed) instead of displaying them properly.

Anyone know what I should change encoding to in order to see pound signs etc displayed properly?

Western(ISO-8859-1).............at least it worked for me.

Metalattakk
16-Dec-08, 23:56
This should really be covered by the <meta> tags in the <head> section of the HTML, just to avoid confusion.

http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/ref_charactersets.asp