PDA

View Full Version : Santa sleigh

Missy Wick
15-Dec-08, 14:36
Im noticing there is a santa sleigh tonight in Thurso. does anyone know what happened to the one that used to go round wick. i used to love it passing the house when i was little. its a shame that it doesnt happen now.

I know i would certainly volunteer to help out if they needed it cos that just adds the magic of santa for the kids.

AfternoonDelight
15-Dec-08, 15:03
I'm not sure I remember the sleigh going about... does anyone know who organised it? Was it a council thing?

sjr014
15-Dec-08, 15:18
I remember it 2 think it was the rotary club or something?

Ash
15-Dec-08, 15:23
yeah it was rotary club

will the sleigh be on the precinct this weekend as im not heading over mount vernon way in this cold....

dirdyweeker
15-Dec-08, 18:11
The Rotary Club did used to go round the streets of Wick in the Sleigh. I know my kids loved watching it pass and the 'elves' would come to the door collecting money. Fair made their Christmas and their night. I have not seen it for a while now. Santa is in the Market Square this Saturday so might be well worth asking him if he plans a trip round the streets. Who knows, perhaps we could mange to get it back 'by popular demand'! Maybe of course he is just too busy in his workshop to spare the time.:lol:

sweetpea
15-Dec-08, 23:24
yeah it was rotary club

will the sleigh be on the precinct this weekend as im not heading over mount vernon way in this cold....

Me either, I hope it comes round! It was a lovely sleigh with lovely huskie dogs.

flyfifer
15-Dec-08, 23:46
It was actually Round Table, not Rotary. They stopped for a number of reasons, one being too few members. It was lovely for the young kids who loved seeing SAnta and his Elves riding past, especially if it had been snowing. Unfortunately the older kids preferred throwing things at the poor volunteers.......

Moira
16-Dec-08, 00:21
Yes flyfifer, I believe you are right. It was indeed the Round Table - the younger and fitter future members of the Rotary? ;)

I remember being quite shocked a few years ago when I heard that Santa and his Elves had suffered physical and verbal abuse while doing their rounds in the name of charity. The sleigh was also, allegedly, vandalised when travelling through certain areas of Wick. Sad reflection of the times. :~(

I'm not sure if that was the main or only reason why the Round Table abandoned this very welcome and exciting event leading up to Christmas. Does anyone else know?

Missy Wick
16-Dec-08, 10:33
maybe we could do the same as thurso then and have it in the market sq at night. it would be nice to get this back. hoepfully there will be somebody reading this who knows more about it.

buffy
16-Dec-08, 13:32
Hey, sorry I have no idea about Wick, but for anyone who's interested here's the Thurso schedule

Wednesday 17th: 6.30pm - Pennyland - Naver House Car Park
7:15pm - Ormlie - McColls Car Park

Saturday 20th: 12-4pm Thurso Town Centre - Precinct

Wednesday 24th December - Tescos Car Park

I notice they're all parked and you have to go to him, I heard that they had to stop cruising around for safety reasons or something :( I used to love it

balto
16-Dec-08, 21:06
Hey, sorry I have no idea about Wick, but for anyone who's interested here's the Thurso schedule

Wednesday 17th: 6.30pm - Pennyland - Naver House Car Park
7:15pm - Ormlie - McColls Car Park

Saturday 20th: 12-4pm Thurso Town Centre - Precinct

Wednesday 24th December - Tescos Car Park

I notice they're all parked and you have to go to him, I heard that they had to stop cruising around for safety reasons or something :( I used to love it
aye another helath and safety issue, such a shame it used to be lovely when santa parked outside the house.

Welcomefamily
16-Dec-08, 21:18
I cant imagine too greater risk from a sleigh, such a pity that Health and Safety has gone over board again. Soon we will all have to be wrapped in cotten wool.

I alway consider Health and Safety was getting an adjusted balance, accepting that in some things there are risks and keeping those risks to a minimum. If it is done correctly there is always an acceptable degree of risk.

littleChick
16-Dec-08, 22:01
Hi

I remember it too, and loved it when it came round the streets in Thurso. It was really great and it's such a shame that it had to stop due to Health & Safety.....

It would be really nice if it started again...

Merry Christmas......:D