PDA

View Full Version : omg how can this happen!

brandy
29-Jan-06, 19:17
was just checking the news..
a 2 month old baby was found in a plastic bin bag.. floating down a lagoon.. alive!
there is footage of the baby being found being pulled from the water and rescued!
what kind of person could do that to a child!
for those of you who want to look here is the link
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/01/29/baby.in.lake.ap/index.html

connieb19
29-Jan-06, 19:23
Wow, that's quite unbelievable!!

ice box
29-Jan-06, 19:36
The person that did this is not human i just got the most sickest feeling in my stomach watching that . At least the baby is safe and well . Some people dont deserve to to have childern if they would even think of doing such a thing .

unicorn
29-Jan-06, 19:38
I cannot believe the things people in this world will do....... but hey I am sure the parents will get councelling if found to make them better people... sick

eastend
29-Jan-06, 19:44
The person that did this is not human i just got the most sickest feeling in my stomach watching that . At least the baby is safe and well . Some people dont deserve to to have childern if they would even think of doing such a thing .

we could of made a exception for u ice box wen u was born

unicorn
29-Jan-06, 19:55
I don't understand your comment at all eastend but I dont find any humour whatsoever in this thread.

spiggie
29-Jan-06, 20:43
God that is absolutley terrible!! who in their right mind could do that to an innocent little baby..? that made me feel sick to my stomach! the person who did that should be shot and thats to put it mildley!! im sure there was different alternatives than to do that!!

Saveman
29-Jan-06, 20:50
This is so sad. Thankfully the baby was found in time. I hope they also find the person who put it there.

jjc
29-Jan-06, 21:24
what kind of person could do that to a child!
Jochebed.

I hope they also find the person who put it there.
Agreed, and I hope that they receive whatever psychiatric help is necessary… of course, if that person is found to have been in full control of their faculties when they set the child afloat then I hope that they are suitably punished.

landmarker
29-Jan-06, 21:25
I didn't follow the link but...

Given the similarities with the old biblical story of Moses, in the bullrushes. He was cast adrift because the King wanted to kill all first born children.

I have no idea where this latest event happened but is it possible the mother / father (or carer) was under some extreme duress? That casting the infant to the water in this way seemed preferable at the time to another, even ghastlier fate? It's just possible isn't it?

Otherwise I of course agree that such treatment is inhumane and dastardly in any less pressing circumstances.

brandy
29-Jan-06, 21:30
i did think of that as well but the baby was in a bin bag.. tied up.. so doubt that

JAWS
29-Jan-06, 22:19
Now why did I guess at a baby girl? I don't know what the attitudes are in Brazil towards having baby girls. I do know that there was a problem in China some years ago, I don't know if it still happens, when it was quite common for dead baby girls to go floating down rivers. Even the Chinese Communists then running the Country, who were usually very tight lipped about things which might arouse critisism, spoke out openly condeming the practice.
Attempts had been made to reduce the size of families and people were penalised for having large families. Boys would grow up and add wealth to the family, girls were just an unnecessary burden who would eventually leave anyway, so into the river they went.
We tend to tend to look at things using our ideas about the sanctity of life. Others do not always look on things the same way and even in our society there are people who are capable of that sort of behaviour.
It's not an attitude I condone by any stretch of the imagination but the baby could well have been put in the lake for a specific purpose, otherwise why not just leave it somewhere nearby and just walk away. The person doing it would still have been rid of the baby.

wilma
30-Jan-06, 11:08
we could of made a exception for u ice box wen u was born
Now that not very nice all children are a gift i bet your mum has often thought the same about you .

krieve
30-Jan-06, 11:52
Poor baby i'm glad it is ok .

wickerinca
30-Jan-06, 15:26
Wonder what on earth possessed the poor woman to do such a thing? Maybe she had no control over this...either way, my heart goes out to her!! Unless she did it on purpose.............then I..........don't know what I would do:mad: but sad. There are some very cruel people on this earth but as mentioned before...not all societies place the same value on human life as we do. Lived in Africa for four years and did volunteer work in a children's hospital so do have a little bit of experience of this subject.

paris
30-Jan-06, 15:54
Had to put my name to this thread but I'm lost as to what to say. No i will say it .... Being put in a bin bag says it all... it wasn't meant to live, What i feel at this moment is pure hatred to who ever did it however desperate. Some out there cant have kids, someone would of given anything to have this child. What about adoption?? I'm mad now !!!

brandy
30-Jan-06, 16:14
the only thing that really puzzles me is who did it?
do you really think it was the mother?
the baby was well dressed..
had on a lovley pink dress and white booties..
i just hope that they catch who ever did this horrible thing
for all we know the baby may have been kidnapped and then tossed in
mayhap there is a frantic mother out there praying hard for her baby!
will keep an eye out for any more news on baby

wickerinca
30-Jan-06, 16:20
Thanks Brandy.....would appreciate any updates!! Makes you want to cry........or batter your Teddy bear!!! really must go and get on the bike now......this bloody website is so addictive!!

RandomHero
30-Jan-06, 18:17
it's an interesting case, and of course it was inhumane-enough people have said that already. One of the first things i thought about when i heard it, was the connection to moses, which somebody already pointed out. even though the baby was in a bag, it was attached to a piece of wood to make it float. if the carer wanted to kill the baby, y attach a piece of wood? i think it may be a religious motivated thing, i think it's more than just human scum.

landmarker
30-Jan-06, 18:49
Had to put my name to this thread but I'm lost as to what to say. No i will say it .... Being put in a bin bag says it all... it wasn't meant to live, What i feel at this moment is pure hatred to who ever did it however desperate. Some out there cant have kids, someone would of given anything to have this child. What about adoption?? I'm mad now !!!

Do you think there are structured adoption services in Brazil? Where life is cheap , especially lives of the poor. Maybe she could have sold the child. Is that also reprehensible?

Paris, we should not judge until we know the full facts. To speak of 'pure hatred' in this case is emotive, nothing too much wrong with that but it is premature. Many of thes people are simple minded peasants, but even a peasant knows if you want to drown a living thing in a bin bag weigh it down with something heavy. The analagy with Moses has stayed with me & I'm prepared to give the mother the benefit of the doubt until I here different.
I have never lived life in extremis, never been dirt poor nor desperate.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Anything other than desperate, well meaning (if horribly misguided) mother then I agree with you, and I'd prosecute her with the full force of the law, such as it is out there.
law - such as it is for the poor in Brazil.

RandomHero
31-Jan-06, 13:59
Agreed.

Read in the paper today they got the Mother and she says she gave the baby away to a homeless couple.

paris
31-Jan-06, 17:20
Do you think there are structured adoption services in Brazil? Where life is cheap , especially lives of the poor. Maybe she could have sold the child. Is that also reprehensible?

Paris, we should not judge until we know the full facts. To speak of 'pure hatred' in this case is emotive, nothing too much wrong with that but it is premature. Many of thes people are simple minded peasants, but even a peasant knows if you want to drown a living thing in a bin bag weigh it down with something heavy. The analagy with Moses has stayed with me & I'm prepared to give the mother the benefit of the doubt until I here different.
I have never lived life in extremis, never been dirt poor nor desperate.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Anything other than desperate, well meaning (if horribly misguided) mother then I agree with you, and I'd prosecute her with the full force of the law, such as it is out there.
law - such as it is for the poor in Brazil.

No i'm sorry but i feel very strongly about this and WHAT EVER the mothers situation she should be dam well shot. For god sake there would of been someone to help her . why did she not leave it outside a hospital or someones home. Its not the fact she parted with it but where it ended up. I blame her totally

squidge
31-Jan-06, 17:47
No i'm sorry but i feel very strongly about this and WHAT EVER the mothers situation she should be dam well shot. For god sake there would of been someone to help her . why did she not leave it outside a hospital or someones home. Its not the fact she parted with it but where it ended up. I blame her totally

Well the news says she gave it to a couple to leave somewhere cos she couldnt look after her and couldnt bear to leave her. This is Brazil Paris - there isnt social services ready to step in and help with emotional and practical support. People get by the best they can. If you want to apportion blame then direct it to a society where people live in abject poverty whilst the government sends rockets into space; where corruption allegations are made time and time again;where a third of the population live in slums of hte worst kind; where drug related violence is commonplace; where the murder rate is worse than some war zones and where "death squads" operate and are beleived to be rogue policemen. When you can walk a mile in the shoes of someone living in that situation then you can judge them. It does not make sense applying your morality which is based on your experience in your comfortable easy british life to this situation

paris
31-Jan-06, 18:35
I understand where your coming from but i as a mother of 4 cant and will not feel one ounce of sympathy towards the mother, Why the hell if she couldn't cope did she not find someone who would help . Please don't say Brazil is Brazil and poor etc i know it is but it doesn't matter where you are in the world you can always find help. She has no excuse( my own opinion)

squidge
31-Jan-06, 19:44
I understand where your coming from
Clearly you cant

Why the hell if she couldn't cope did she not find someone who would help .

Like where? A couple to take the child to a place where it would be found and looked after? Who then dump the baby? Should she go to the police and risk whatever corruption she will find there?

Please don't say Brazil is Brazil and poor etc i know it is but it doesn't matter where you are in the world you can always find help.

This isnt simply poverty - its poverty fear and curruption, violence and destitution.

I dont expect you to condone what happened to this baby - i certainly dont but to have "pure hatred" for these people who may live in circumstances we cant imagine - thank goodness - is an example of people being unable to consider things outside their sphere of a comfortable life and it lacks compassion and a wider understanding of the world

brandy
31-Jan-06, 20:00
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/01/31/brazil.baby.ap/index.html

this is the follow up story..
looks like the mother did do it!
however masses of people want to addopt the baby!

paris
31-Jan-06, 20:07
I rest my case....sorry guys but i do belive i was right. Anyone no matter where you live can get help if needed. I must admit i may feel alot stronger with subjects like this being adopted myself. Didnt mean to offend by my outburst .

squidge
31-Jan-06, 20:11
I still believe that we cant apply our own moral code developed to help us cope with lifein a prosperous and safe country to those living in fear and destititution. It doesnt make sense to me but then neither does throwing your own baby in a river so crikey!!!! What do i know :eyes

wickerinca
31-Jan-06, 20:12
I didn't find your thought offensive paris. We all have baggage that often leaves us with opinion that are personal and deep-seated. You are allowed your views and to voice them just as much as anyone else. I don't think that I totally agree with you but that is humans for you:D

_Ju_
31-Jan-06, 20:36
I cannot believe the things people in this world will do....... but hey I am sure the parents will get councelling if found to make them better people... sick

This is Brasil. Not the UK. No social services to give them counseling and I doubt that woman will see her child ever again. Brasil is a Latin country and motherhood is sanct. Violation of motherly behaviour in this way will not be forgiven. This mother is a sick person that should go straight to jail for a long time.
Here I do believe that they try to counsel and "fix"...at least I remember appeals being made last summer with the baby boy found in holyrood park in Edinburgh???