PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected money

rockchick
14-Dec-08, 20:34
I'm lucky enough to have come into a bit of money, (a few thousand pounds) and haven't got a clue what to do with it.

What would the Orgers do if they got hold of no-strings-attached cash? Stash it under the mattress? Go on holiday? Donate to a good cause?

I'm just worried I'm going to fritter it away on a lot of little things, and I'd like instead to take advantage of what is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...

Any ideas (on a postcard)???

cuddlepop
14-Dec-08, 20:39
If nothing need replacing or decorating,why not treat yourself and the family to a holiday of a lifetime.

Do something that you'd never be able to do under any other circumstances.
Thats what I'd do.:D

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Dec-08, 20:45
If it`s up to £3,600 put it in a tax free ISA so the Government can`t get any tax of it.

rockchick
14-Dec-08, 20:46
It's inheritance, so it's tax-free (this year at least).

sjr014
14-Dec-08, 20:49
Yeah im with the holiday idea for sure! Go somewhere u wouldn't normally b able and do it in style first class all the way!

xxxxxx

teenybash
14-Dec-08, 20:50
I would tend to have a wee spend on some treats and put the rest away for a rainy day...................happy for your good fortune.:D

young_fishin_neep
14-Dec-08, 20:55
first thing i would do would treat myself to a shopping trip, order a few things of the internet i thought i would never be able to afford then go on a nice holiday and enoy myself

kazzii xxxx

ywindythesecond
14-Dec-08, 23:29
I'm lucky enough to have come into a bit of money, (a few thousand pounds) and haven't got a clue what to do with it.

What would the Orgers do if they got hold of no-strings-attached cash? Stash it under the mattress? Go on holiday? Donate to a good cause?

I'm just worried I'm going to fritter it away on a lot of little things, and I'd like instead to take advantage of what is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...

Tour New Zealand with an experienced guide. PM me for a quotation.

MadPict
14-Dec-08, 23:34
Squirrel it away - save it for a rainy day. The way the country is going, if you spend it just because you have it, come next year you might think "Damn, wish we'd put that money away somewhere"...

starry
14-Dec-08, 23:36
It depends, if you are ok for money then I would have the holiday of a lifetime, if not I would put it away somewhere it would get the best rate of interest.

Errogie
14-Dec-08, 23:39
The memories from a good holiday last much longer than any you might get from a new car or a washing machine.

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-08, 00:17
If it were me...i would treat the family to a lovely holiday, i would donate some money to local pets charities being a pet lover. Then do some wee bits to the house. Then the left overs saved! So thats really a bit of everything!

But i also agree with "Madpict". Who knows what the tax rates and things are going to rise to next year! No way anyone can afford to live the way things are going!

forevera123
15-Dec-08, 01:58
if you have already saved enough for a rainy day, then you can treat youself and your families a very luxary holiday:D:D

Metalattakk
15-Dec-08, 03:14

Build a swimming pool in the back garden, fill it with lager, and buy a li-lo and a very, very long straw.

sassylass
15-Dec-08, 03:42
Right now I'd save it, or invest it in a secure, no risk, rock solid something or other (that part can be tricky).

starry
15-Dec-08, 10:33
I was thinking about this last night, what would the person who left you the money want you to do with it ?

My gran left us money years ago, it wasn't very much but she left strict instructions we were only to use it to have fun. So we did :cool:

porshiepoo
15-Dec-08, 11:04
From someone who has done the fancy holidays, I would feel that a holiday would be a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, we could all do with a bit of sun right now and I'm actually orf to the Caribbean just after xmas but I do see it as a waste of money.

I guess it depends on how much it is and what you need or want in life! Holidays are great at the time but when you get home you tend to berate yourself over the 5 grand you've just spent for 2 weeks sitting on a beach getting burnt or queueing up at theme park rides in blistering heat.
Cars lose value so quickly, I'd be just as happy to run around in a reliable jalopy.
Household appliances? Let's face it if it ain't broke don't waste money on a new one that will almost definately break 2 days after the guarantee expiry date.
Charity Donation? Forget it! The odd few quid in a charity jar is fine but personally I'd rather donate goods than money - that way you know the fat cats aren't getting it.

Personally for me I would have to say you cannot beat Bricks and Mortar. Depends how much you inherited of course but there are many places where a bargain can still be had for a few grand. That way you have an investment and a holiday home that could also provide an income.

hobbes1962
15-Dec-08, 12:56
Build a swimming pool in the back garden, fill it with lager, and buy a li-lo and a very, very long straw.

Trust you to come up with that:lol:

What about when you need a pee? What about when it rains?

Bobinovich
15-Dec-08, 13:48
What about when you need a pee?

Just get on with it - would you notice the difference [lol]?

What about when it rains?

Ditto!

changilass
15-Dec-08, 14:27
Ewwww bob pees in the pool, mind me no till go swimming with you again :lol:

Julia
15-Dec-08, 15:33
I'd pay off any debts I had (if I had any) and then bung the rest away for a rainy day preferably in a high interest account. I like spending but love to save too.

Margaret M.
15-Dec-08, 16:02
Did you get enough to buy Woolies? I say treat yourself to a wee something nice and save the rest -- under your mattress, banks are kinda chancy right now.

iain
15-Dec-08, 18:59
Buy a Harley

sweetpea
15-Dec-08, 23:29
give up work and go on benefits! find a man to take care of me lol who knows what's best, do whatever is right for you.:)

ar1ling
16-Dec-08, 01:51
if i have this money, i would save the money for a rainy day. so many people outthere are losing their jobs, and i just worry when it will become my turn?:(