PDA

View Full Version : Land owners of Caithness

Rheghead
29-Jan-06, 18:30
After watching a TV programme on 'Who Owns Britain' I thought, Who are the biggest landowners of Caithness?

Does anyone know and do I still have to doff my cap to them?:grin:

unicorn
29-Jan-06, 18:34
Rheghead you do ask the most difficult questions lol....I know of 2 families of coghills who own massive farms but dunno how big lol.

Doleve
29-Jan-06, 18:59
doesnt lord john sinclair thurso with the massive daft moustache own a lot of theflow country, the glutt etc. And how much land does Threipland with dunbeath estate own?

~~Tides~~
29-Jan-06, 19:41
http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/

Lord Thurso owns a phenomonal amount of land in Caithness through 3 different companies I think.

Lady Anne Bentinck - Braemore & Langwall
Stuart Threipland - Dunbeath
Thurso - All over eh place
Isla Macloed - Thrumster

caithnessgirl
29-Jan-06, 20:13

isnt it murray threipland? :confused

ice box
29-Jan-06, 20:30

Lord Thurso owns a phenomonal amount of land in Caithness through 3 different companies I think.

Lady Anne Bentinck - Braemore & Langwall
Thurso - All over eh place
Isla Macloed - Thrumster
I dont think lord thurso has anything to do with the thrumster estate as far i aware it is the late lady harmworths which was left to her son peter harmworth which he unfortunal he died and as far as iam aware it is left to his son which he is not old enough to take over the estate so mrs mecloed peter sister is running to then .

Saveman
29-Jan-06, 20:39
Anstruther owns the Watten Estate I believe

Sir_Jocky_Thirsa_MP
29-Jan-06, 22:12
If you look in your rent book you'll probably find I own your house too.

JAWS
29-Jan-06, 22:39
One of the biggest landowners in England was, and I think still is, the Church of England.
One town I used to live in, one of the biggest landowners there was the old National Coal Board.
Personally I don't care who owns what land, I've got enough for my needs so they can keep the rest, I don't want it and wouldn't have it as a gift.

Saveman
29-Jan-06, 22:42
If you look in your rent book you'll probably find I own your house too.

Had a look.....can't see your name anywhere... ;)

Bill Fernie
29-Jan-06, 22:59
You will find a few links including to Who Owns Scotland and the Caithness ones in particular linked here http://www.caithness.org/links/landissues.htm

Sir_Jocky_Thirsa_MP
29-Jan-06, 23:08
Had a look.....can't see your name anywhere... ;)

Won't be long, Kennedy Terrace is next on the list. ;)

ice box
29-Jan-06, 23:10
Your welcome to it just remember to build a wall at the top and bottem so they cant get oot

Saveman
29-Jan-06, 23:57

LOL thats not nice.....;)

angela5
30-Jan-06, 00:51
Your welcome to it just remember to build a wall at the top and bottem so they cant get oot

eh'm you forgetting the street next to it[disgust]

connieb19
30-Jan-06, 00:52
eh'm you forgetting the street next to it[disgust]Oldwick Road..

eastend
30-Jan-06, 00:56

didnt u no use to live there

angela5
30-Jan-06, 00:57

next door to you :lol:

ice box
30-Jan-06, 01:09
i but your smell made me move lol

eastend
30-Jan-06, 01:29
i but your smell made me move lol

could'nt smell that bad u took my left over's lol

Errogie
16-Feb-06, 21:05
Lord Thurso's Estate is down to a fraction of what it was. At one time it stretched from Thurso East to Knockfinn heights on the county march, the river mouth to it's source. His grandfather, Sir Archibald's death started the big disolution in the late 60's and a lot of the good tenanted farms were sold to the occupiers. I did the valuation for estate duty at that time.

Quite a lot of the information in who owns Scotland is inaccurate and out of date. In Caithness, I would put R.S.P.B. fairly far up the list and expanding but you have to bear in mind that numbers of acres doesn't always mean value. Certainly, Dunbeath including Glutt and the Palmers at Latheronwheel are right up there as is Berriedale and Lady Anne Bentinck's ownership of Morven. Sandside and the famous Mr. Minter are further down the scale. For every estate that is being broken up someone else is out there sticking it back together again.

At one time Georgeson's in Wick was probably the biggest source of information and influence on land owning in Caithness. I used to have regular negotiations on value with the late Harold Georgeson who once memorably countered my comparasion of a house in Lybster with one in Thurso by remarking that "living in Lybster would take the sting out of death" Lybster has never looked the same since!

Fran
17-Feb-06, 02:24
There are a few sinclairs in caithness and their families own most of the land in caithness.