PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Bar (did you get out today?)

landmarker
29-Jan-06, 18:12
What a lovely, cold sunshiney day we have had down here. January has been very dry, and it's almost done!

Took our grandaughter to look at some old buses at Manchester Transport museum. Those red double deckers had me in nostalgia mode. I used to travel by bus a lot, often on my own from the age of about ten. Adventures galore in the Manchester area.

After the museum (pricey i.m.h.o. at £4 for adults) we headed west across the M62 for Merseyside. To the fine city of Liverpool and it's wonderful, extravagant architecture, built upon slavery much of it of course but we''ll draw a veil over that. Though the town hall must be the most un - pc. building in the Britain by now.

We found the gaping entrance to the Wallasey tunnel - Kingsway.
Sped thru at a steady forty to emerge on the Wirral peninsular. The tide was largely in at Hoylake, just a few sea birds and waders braving the sand. We had cold sausage butties, with Walker's crisps and a flask of coffee as we sat and shivered! Simple pleasures.

Said grandaughter was delighted with a second hand (30p.) double decker I bought at a boot sale earlier - a momento of her day 'on the buses' .

Last week she said she wanted to be a part-time 'bus driver' when she grows up. I admire a child with modest ambition, especially when they are three! Monday to friday she wants to be a 'diver' - with which I, in optimistic mode cling to the 'marine biologist route' LOL.

The views across Liverpool bay to the waterfrontage of the city were rather hazy , but rewarding. It's some years since we watched the tall ships heading out for the Ocean across the same panorama.

A Sunday well spent until the auld Audi started running rough - again! I feel another car coming on. This one has been a belter but everything has its day.

This one was good for us. How was it for you?

phoenix
29-Jan-06, 18:24
Hi Landmarker :confusedI had a brilliant day yesterday and today didnt really do anything special...........it was only that I had thought it was the "Second Coming" :confused only to find out they were talking about football .....Strange you should be in Liverpool too :RazzMaybe its an omen:Razz

scotsboy
29-Jan-06, 18:33
Have I mentioned I saw Liverpool win the CL in Istanbul?

stekar
29-Jan-06, 22:07
Been a nice day up here as well, and can't believe January has almost gone, times just flys.
Took the kids swimming to Thurso pool which they enjoyed. Daughter screamed her head off when she had to get out of the pool!
Driving back home the sun was out and the Orkneys looked lovely. The sun was picking out the red and golden colours of the cliffs and what with the brillaint blue of the sea, it was beautiful.
Then when the sun was setting the sky had a lovely pink glow and the mountains of Sutherland were silhouetted against the sky. Cracking.

mike.mckenzie
30-Jan-06, 14:02
Were you down for the Chinese New Year celebrations? I missed them unfortunately, went past Berry St and it was heaving.

Saveman
30-Jan-06, 14:14
Have I mentioned I saw Liverpool win the CL in Istanbul?

Was that on one night in May by any chance Scotsboy? LOL

DrSzin
30-Jan-06, 14:25
And what night in May would that be? :)

scotsboy
30-Jan-06, 17:20
25th May 2005 at the Ataturk Olympiyat Stadi, Istanbul.

I seem to recall them coming back from being 3-0 down at half-time. :-)

DrSzin
30-Jan-06, 18:26
Oh yes, I remember now. I was on the ceiling for hours afterwards, and I was only in my living room.

frank ward
31-Jan-06, 13:14
Ahh landmarker the river was bathed in glorious hazy sunshine at New Year and after a walk along Otterspool prom and a pint in the Britannia we drove into town and had the whole pier head to ourselves.

May I suggest a wee detour in the old mersey tunnel? Coming from birkenhead as you approach the liverpool exit there's a side tunnel off to the left marked 'no entry' 'works only'. Sometimes there are few or no lights on in this tunnel. Regardless, I suggest you take this tunnel and in no time at all it brings you out on the dock road facing the Liver Building.

Buying choc at a car boot sale may be OK but I'd say no to a prawn curry from same source.

Saveman
31-Jan-06, 13:18
25th May 2005 at the Ataturk Olympiyat Stadi, Istanbul.

I seem to recall them coming back from being 3-0 down at half-time. :-)

Yeah and I was laughing my head off! Though I wasn't laughing at the end, just politely clapping a good team. :)

mike.mckenzie
31-Jan-06, 17:30
Haha, Otterspool Prom, thats my bike route when I'm keeping fit, I used to live quite near there, St Michael's area if you know it. Just moved up to Hunt's Cross, again, if you know it. Only thing about otterspool prom is there are some "dodgy" people hanging about at night, doing things in their cars with one another.

But the best thing about being in Liverpool just now is

ROBBIE IS BACK!

JimH
31-Jan-06, 21:15
Being born and bred a scouse - I wonder how many other scousers are on or visit Caithness .org.
If any of you are of the Cottage Homes at Fazakerley - I would love to hear from you.
Regards
Jim

landmarker
31-Jan-06, 21:35
[QUOTE=frank ward]
May I suggest a wee detour in the old mersey tunnel? Coming from birkenhead as you approach the liverpool exit there's a side tunnel off to the left marked 'no entry' 'works only'. Sometimes there are few or no lights on in this tunnel. Regardless, I suggest you take this tunnel and in no time at all it brings you out on the dock road facing the Liver Building.

QUOTE]

Blimey! Sounds a bit twilight zoney, not sure I'd have the bottle for that.

landmarker
31-Jan-06, 21:38
Haha, Otterspool Prom, thats my bike route when I'm keeping fit, I used to live quite near there, St Michael's area if you know it. Just moved up to Hunt's Cross, again, if you know it. Only thing about otterspool prom is there are some "dodgy" people hanging about at night, doing things in their cars with one another.

But the best thing about being in Liverpool just now is

ROBBIE IS BACK!

I know Hunts Cross quite well. Is Martin's the newsagent still on Mackem Lane (?) I think it's called? At the back there is a narrow alley I used to back my truck down with a few inches to spare on each side - before making sure I locked it up !! Bad spot for thieving in the nineties. Adjacent to a railway line? Kids mostly who were bunking off school.

(Take Joe Barton with Robbie as a job lot. You can have both of 'em far as I'm concerned.)

frank ward
01-Feb-06, 14:07
I think you mean Mackets Lane. Don't remember a newsagents but the off-licence is there.

Hunts Cross is not the most charismatic of areas, pubs are poor but its very handy for getting quickly into town via Speke Boulevard or Merseyrail. Huge retail outlets there now (Asda, B&Q etc), high volumes of traffic and increasing Easyjet noise from Speke Airport. Property prices are going daft, I know someone with a modest house off Higher Road recently valued at £375K. If the Jaguar factory gets hit the area might suffer.

As for Robbie, nice to see him back but I'd be surprised if he can hold down a regular place, he's surely well past his best. Even more surprised to see the reliable Pongo sent to Blackburn.

Frank (Scouser in Sutherland for 25 years)

mike.mckenzie
01-Feb-06, 14:23
Fed up about Flo Po going to Blackburn, would far rather have seen Cisse go. Saw him on Mathew St the other day dressed "eccentrically" shall we say.

I live on the brand new Bellway estate that has just gone up over the last year on Hunts Cross. You're right about the pubs. Used to frequent Lark Lane (The Albert and Maranto's) when I was over St Michael's way. Now I am stuck with the Waiting Room! Mind you, spoilt for choice in the city centre so can't moan.

Port of Liverpool building is where I work! You'll all know that building.